Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No I am right. He just thinks that it will give him extra rep points if he can claim where he grew up was the south Bronx. In all reality, there were many parts of the Bronx that were messed up, not just the south Bronx. Even Howard Cosell said in '77 "The Bronx is burning." Not the south Bronx but the entire Bronx. Because so many parts (including the south Bronx) were messed up at the time. I'm born in 1981 and know this city's history very well. Before he was born I was walking down those steps at 183 and Tiebout because my moms used to get her hair done over there back in the day. Stepping through spare tires and garbage.
//www.city-data.com/forum/25873370-post182.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
seventh floor might be right to a extent, because i hear the term west bronx quite often when they speak on university heights.

i know some people who claim that they felt that the west bronx was ignored when the south bronx was going through turmoil in the 70,s and 80,s.
The west bronx WAS the south Bronx.

It was universally referred to as such. Seventhfloor has no idea what "south Bronx" meant. He ignores the proper definition, despite it hitting him in the face. Sure, lets ask the residents. You think residents today, or 30 years ago, knew proper neighborhood boundaries?

ANd btw, The West Bronx really refers to anything west of the Bronx River, including Mott Haven, Hunts Point etc...East Bronx would be everything on the other side.

Look:

west Bronx - Google Maps

West Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seventh, you see that?

It's wiki but:

Quote:
West Bronx neighborhoods include: Port Morris, Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania, East Morrisania, Longwood, Hunts Point, Concourse, Highbridge, West Farms, East Tremont, Tremont, Morris Heights, University Heights, Belmont, Fordham, Fordham-Bedford, Bedford Park, Norwood, Kingsbridge Heights, Kingsbridge, Riverdale, Spuyten Duyvil, and Woodlawn. It is the home of the Yankee Stadium. The West Bronx encompasses the entire South Bronx, under the traditional definition of that area.
Somebody from Thebout and 181st street was definitely in the heart of the south Bronx. I get no cool points from it, cause I started living here in the late 80's, which wasn't the south Bronx prime of the late 70's.

Last edited by DoubleXAs; 09-03-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 AM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Why did you re-post that?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The west bronx WAS the south Bronx.

It was universally referred to as such. Seventhfloor has no idea what "south Bronx" meant. He ignores the proper definition, despite it hitting him in the face. Sure, lets ask the residents. You think residents today, or 30 years ago, knew proper neighborhood boundaries?

ANd btw, The West Bronx really refers to anything west of the Bronx River, including Mott Haven, Hunts Point etc...East Bronx would be everything on the other side.

Look:

west Bronx - Google Maps

West Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seventh, you see that?

It's wiki but:

Somebody from Thebout and 181st street was definitely in the heart of the south Bronx. I get no cool points from it, cause I started living here in the late 80's, which wasn't the south Bronx prime of the late 70's.
U really think somebody who lived on 165th and Odgen said they lived in the South Bronx? Gimme a break. They said they lived in West side, or if they wanted to be proper = Highbridge. South Bronx is that 2 train ride and you know it....west side = everything west of Jerome Avenue.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
U really think somebody who lived on 165th and Odgen said they lived in the South Bronx? Gimme a break. They said they lived in West side, or if they wanted to be proper = Highbridge. South Bronx is that 2 train ride and you know it....west side = everything west of Jerome Avenue.
Jeje I know man. Obviously. I tell everyone I'm from the Westside, and I see Highbridge, Morris Heights, and University Heights as a continuation of one another. Few projects, a lot of hills, very high Dominican concentrations, and in some case, avenues overlap. But what's more important is the W in front of the streets. Very few parts of the Bronx has a West in front of the street, and that unites us.

BUT,

I'm talking 30 years ago. You never see articles back then saying something like " In the West and South Bronx, drugs and arson rule the streets" , no, it's always, "the South Bronx, like other parts of the city, is plagued by the wave of drugs and arson ...." the South Bronx referred to everything south of Fordham. Trust me. Maybe residents felt differently, but when someone mentioned south Bronx somewhere, the west side was definitely included.

I told you what my current day south Bronx is. South of CBE, East of Grand Concourse, north of East River, West of Bronx River.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Why did you re-post that?
It's a post you can't disprove. Showing the FDNY as covering the South Bronx (it covered UH and Fordham), showing you articles were streets in the 180's where referred to as south Bronx, and showing you pictures of why it would have been included. It basically sums of my definition (the proper one) of south Bronx. You are stuck on geography.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,215 times
Question Yankee stadium- south Bronx?

So is the area around Yankee Stadium, The courthouse, the post office, Cardinal Hayes HS ( about 151st and Grand Concourse) considered "South Bronx?" I feel like it has improved 99% since the year 1996)

Old 08-25-2013, 03:28 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
O
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowolf49 View Post
So is the area around Yankee Stadium, The courthouse, the post office, Cardinal Hayes HS ( about 151st and Grand Concourse) considered "South Bronx?" I feel like it has improved 99% since the year 1996)
The area is south of Fordham Road and west of the Bronx River right? So South Bronx it is. It has improved since the 90's but so have many other South Bronx areas. A new tree or a new park bench can't erase it from the annals of American history. I agree it's time to move on and focus on the present and future but finally letting go from the past is often easier said than done. Sometimes the past haunts you like a ghost and it follows wherever you go.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 08-25-2013 at 04:00 AM..

Old 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
back in the 70's when Jimmy Carter stood on an empty lot on Charlotte Street in the fall of 1977, the term "South Bronx" was really twofold

in a geographic sense SB was the area south of Fordham Rd, west of The Bronx River, north of the E River and east of The Harlem River

but in more of a media sense and people like my dad, the "South Bronx" was more centered around the area where Carter once stood as well as the term "Fort Apache 41st precinct" on Simpson Street. back in the old days, really the South Bronx was synonymous with the "East Bronx" which was the area east of Webster or Third Avenue, west of The Bronx River, and south of 180th street. This narrowed the boundaries to zip codes 10460 (W Farms), 10459 (So Blvd), 10455.

that concentrated area was known for miles and miles of abandoned arsonized buildings. tho areas to the west (High Bridge, Morris Hts, Mt Hope, etc) also had bombed out streets, the "real devastation" was known to zip codes 10460, 10459, 10455

my dad who worked in federal probation, always made frequent visits to the entire SB and while he certainly did acknowledge the abandonment of areas like Mt Hope, High Bridge, (he visited Monroe Ave and 173rd street and recalled being very uneasy) he said that Mt Hope High Bridge etc were NOTHING compared to the area associated with Jimmy Carters visit.

he said the abandonment along Jerome Ave in the 170's we used to see going to Yankee Games was "Nothing compared to the east Bronx".

Old 08-25-2013, 05:26 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
The area which lost the most prewar housing stock due to abandonment and in some cases arson in NYC is between the Bronx River and Webster Ave-MNRR line (South of Fordham Rd), but the entire city experienced this problem to some extent.

The term South Bronx is more commonly referred to in the socioeconomic sense. Today, that area extends as far north as Fordham-Bedford, and as far East as the fringes of Castle Hill. Honestly, it's completely out of date.

The geographic South Bronx is most often designated those neighborhoods South of the Cross Bronx Expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City