Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 10:08 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I wasn't referring to you.

Anyways, as to the Bronx, I believe that only the very worst areas should be shaded red. The rest should of the south Bronx (below Fordham rd) should probably be orange with a few yellow spots thrown in. Unfortunately, I have not been on every single Bronx street so my knowledge is limited only to the places I have been to.

Seventh, why is White Plains Road in the E 200's orange? At the very least I believe from E 215th up to about E 227 (maybe a little above) should be shaded red. Limit the red to the immediate area under the elevated, as I don't think the residential blocks are quite as bad.

In my opinion, areas that should definitely be red:

E 165th and Intervale
E Kingsbridge rd and Morris ave.
E 194th strip from Grand Concourse to Webster.
W 183rd street from Aqueduct to Jerome.
W Burnside ave from Sedgwick to Jerome.
Claremont Village (Butler, Washington, Webster Houses)
Mott Haven Projects (Mott Haven, Patterson, Millbrook)
W 160th- W 167th Anderson, Ogden, Shakespeare area.
Soundview Houses
Stratford ave between E 172nd and Westchester ave.
E 180th and Hughes area.
Lambert Houses in West Farms.
E 167th and Sheridan.
The NYCHA on E 181st and Thebout,
E 194th to E 196th Valentine ave.
White Plains rd from E 215th to E 229th.
Andrews ave from W 183rd to Fordham rd.
W 192nd and Aqueduct ave.

Those I can personally vouch for and say are red areas. With red I mean high drug activity, or violent crime, or gang presence. It can be any combination of the three.

If everyone can personally vouch for red areas, we can have a more accurate map. That way, we can shade everything orange, and only a few red.

*Note: Some of the blocks mentioned above may have changed for the better. Have not visited some in a while.
We'll work on those over the weekend. Thanks

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 01:37 PM

93 posts, read 194,268 times
white plain rd and wakefield fresh bullet holes in chinese joint and my hood in longwood hp

Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Anyways, as to the Bronx, I believe that only the very worst areas should be shaded red. The rest should of the south Bronx (below Fordham rd) should probably be orange with a few yellow spots thrown in. Unfortunately, I have not been on every single Bronx street so my knowledge is limited only to the places I have been to.

Seventh, why is White Plains Road in the E 200's orange? At the very least I believe from E 215th up to about E 227 (maybe a little above) should be shaded red. Limit the red to the immediate area under the elevated, as I don't think the residential blocks are quite as bad.

In my opinion, areas that should definitely be red:

Those I can personally vouch for and say are red areas. With red I mean high drug activity, or violent crime, or gang presence. It can be any combination of the three.

If everyone can personally vouch for red areas, we can have a more accurate map. That way, we can shade everything orange, and only a few red.

*Note: Some of the blocks mentioned above may have changed for the better. Have not visited some in a while.
Ugh. So you're saying we have to redo the whole map?

So are those areas just strips? Like would I just put a red line along East 194th Street and leave the surrounding area orange (so 193rd and 195th would be orange)?

Are you sure a regular NYer would really be safe in the areas outside of those strips, though? That's why I was thinking of adding another color (maybe purple) for the particularly dangerous strips within the red areas.

* Just in case anybody starts saying anything about "Native NYers", feel free to replace that term with "reasonable person" or something to that effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whats green for?
Green is for areas anybody would be comfortable in (instead of leaving them blank).

Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I know that, but it's really not bad. The whole area around it's been gentrified to death, which abates many of the problems. People go around with their iPhones and haul their drunken selves across that part of Chelsea without a care in the world nowadays.
I think the yellow for the Fulton Houses is accurate, but the yellow area is too big; none of 14th and 15th street and none of 8th avenue should be included, just the streets going through the complex and the side of the streets adjoining the complex. Basically from 16th to 19th and 9th through 10th, probably not including 10th itself.

Chelsea Market and the Port Authority Building should certainly not be considered in the yellow zone.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeLoNLoCoBx View Post
white plain rd and wakefield fresh bullet holes in chinese joint and my hood in longwood hp

Which part of WP Road. There is no exact definition of where Wakefield is. Some swear its as far down as 222nd street, because that is where the 47th precinct and zip code 10466 ends. Others use 233rd street as the southern boundary.

IMHO below 229th and around 241st are bad. 230th to 235th is borderline. Above that to Nereid is OK.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I realized this map is reminiscent of the one Trulia has for some cities. Theirs I believe updates according to Spotcrime. New York is not an option as of yet, but this is a good substitute in the meantime.

Here it is for a point of reference: Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Great work on this guys.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I realized this map is reminiscent of the one Trulia has for some cities. Theirs I believe updates according to Spotcrime. New York is not an option as of yet, but this is a good substitute in the meantime.

Here it is for a point of reference: Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Great work on this guys.
And as I look at that map, I really see how we have to take these maps with a grain of salt. I actually have lived in a red area of SF (according to Trulia) for over a year. I love the neighborhood and strongly disagree with it being red...or orange. You really have to spend time in a neighborhood to get your own opinion of the place...

Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 PM

29 posts, read 75,879 times
I live in Mott Heaven (E-136st around Brook Ave). I don't see any problems at all. You have to live around for a while to judge the place.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Who cares about homicides. its a gauge on overall crime. If no homicides occur on the block, but there's a drug sale everyday, then it's good? And vice versa, there can be one isolated homicide on a block, but nothing else happened there for the year, now its the ok corral? I dont doubt that you know the Bronx but the reasoning is off.
Well said seventh floor, safety should not only judged by murders but by also other crime, from violent crime to petty crimes. Its really hard to measure what crime happens where we can only measure from what we know personally and government data. As a former student from John Jay college I learned that Queens has some of the highest rates of unreported crime in the city because many Asians and Hispanics are afraid of talking to police and are afraid of being outcasted and fear of reprisals. I wish other crimes such as what neighboorhood has high rates of fraud amongst residents like wall street. Also the map should have green zones for overall safety.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citypower View Post
I live in Mott Heaven (E-136st around Brook Ave). I don't see any problems at all. You have to live around for a while to judge the place.
Right across the street is killbrook projects, the most dangerous pj in mott haven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City