Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 02:50 PM

203 posts, read 386,124 times

Advertisements

@Wes927: It was recently decided to label the very worst areas purple. Yes, purple is meant to indicate being even worse than red. The reasoning was discussed a couple pages back.

I've been to areas shaded red in both Brooklyn and the Bronx. In my experience, the worst parts of Brooklyn are significantly worse than the worst parts of the Bronx. For example, one time, I was visiting a friend in Brownsville, Brooklyn. The neighborhood subjectively seemed even less safe to me than any Bronx neighborhood I've been to. He drove me back to the subway, and I had to walk back to his car because I sensed that someone was sizing me up. I've never had that happen in the Bronx.

I suspect that because the Bronx has a bad reputation, people overestimate the amount of danger there. I'm not saying it's safe--most of it isn't. But it's not quite as bad as people think. Conversely, I suspect that people underestimate the amount of danger in Brooklyn, partly because many people think the borough is fashionable.

Curious, why is Belmont shaded orange? Does crime in the more dangerous areas nearby spill over into Belmont? Because I've been to Arthur Avenue several times, and I've never seen any cause for concern. There aren't sketchy characters hanging out. There aren't signs of drug dealing or other crime occurring in the area. The neighborhood is quite well-kept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 04:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
@Wes927: It was recently decided to label the very worst areas purple. Yes, purple is meant to indicate being even worse than red. The reasoning was discussed a couple pages back.

I've been to areas shaded red in both Brooklyn and the Bronx. In my experience, the worst parts of Brooklyn are significantly worse than the worst parts of the Bronx. For example, one time, I was visiting a friend in Brownsville, Brooklyn. The neighborhood subjectively seemed even less safe to me than any Bronx neighborhood I've been to. He drove me back to the subway, and I had to walk back to his car because I sensed that someone was sizing me up. I've never had that happen in the Bronx.

I suspect that because the Bronx has a bad reputation, people overestimate the amount of danger there. I'm not saying it's safe--most of it isn't. But it's not quite as bad as people think. Conversely, I suspect that people underestimate the amount of danger in Brooklyn, partly because many people think the borough is fashionable.

Curious, why is Belmont shaded orange? Does crime in the more dangerous areas nearby spill over into Belmont? Because I've been to Arthur Avenue several times, and I've never seen any cause for concern. There aren't sketchy characters hanging out. There aren't signs of drug dealing or other crime occurring in the area. The neighborhood is quite well-kept.
Yeah, we'll have to think of an adjective for whatever areas are purple (I think some people mentioned the Millbrook Houses in Mott Haven. If somebody can give me the boundaries, I could add those as well). I mean, you should avoid the area (probably day or night), but it's not like it's a guaranteed death sentence or anything.

And the gentrification of parts of Brooklyn might've been part of the reason why some parts were rated safer than a comparable area of The Bronx.

As for Belmont, I heard a couple of other people mention that too. I'll probably change it. I originally figured that since it's surrounded by red areas, it probably has some spillover issues, but if there's no real issues, I'll probably upgrade it to yellow. (I guess I'll just wait for somebody to "second" this)

Old 05-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Many of the dangerous parts of Brooklyn, such as East New York and Brownsville, have had little to no gentrification. Other dangerous areas, such as Bushwick and Bed-Stuy, have had some gentrification. But these areas still have zones which are (justifiably) shaded red.

There may or may not be a transition area between a safer neighborhood and a more dangerous one. Sometimes there's not much of a transition area, but there's usually an identifiable reason for this. For example, near the Flushing stop on the J and M trains, a part of Bed-Stuy which is shaded red is adjacent to a part of South Williamsburg which is unshaded. This actually makes sense because the part of Willliamsburg in question is a tight-knit Hasidic Jewish community where outsiders (of any race or ethnicity) stick out like a sore thumb.

However, if there's not an obvious reason for the lack of a transition zone, it should be looked into further. Sometimes there is a transition zone which should be labeled as such, even if it's only a block or two wide. In other cases, one side of the transition is graded incorrectly.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
University, yes. Southern isn't as big....but University is off the beaten path. No train around there. So me that explains why it's a bad wide avenue.
Like Whitlock said, Southern Blvd is very wide north of the Cross Bronx.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CAkQ8gEwAA

Old 05-27-2012, 05:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Like Whitlock said, Southern Blvd is very wide north of the Cross Bronx.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CAkQ8gEwAA
You're right. I remember how it is around East Tremont. But I think it suffers from the same issue as University Ave - it's kinda no-man's land in the Bronx when you're not close to a train. And that strip is pretty bad - I remember crackheads and stuff walking around or sleeping on the pedestrian malls.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-28-2012, 01:06 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
There are instances in this city where yes, walking a few feet does change the safety of the neighborhood. I don't care about demographics. I am just saying that yes, the safety level does changes, and I provided a few strong examples. If you strongly believe this is not the case on the Concourse, then I'll let it rest.
A good example is the deegan expressway in mott haven, oneside is safer the otherside not so much, same goes for broadway in the heights. Also pjs in dumbo, across the street safe due to gentrification but across the street in farrugut pjs its a different story. Even though one side is safer than the other a transplant from idaho can still can get mugged for his iphone south of the deegan or tourist from boston walking down walton avenue gets robbed at knife point. Or susan a student of fordam university orginally delaware escapes from being raped near arthur avenue. These are all likely scenarios in safer areas of the hood.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-28-2012 at 01:38 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
A good example is the deegan expressway in mott haven, oneside is safer the otherside not so much, same goes for broadway in the heights. Also pjs in dumbo, across the street safe due to gentrification but across the street in farrugut pjs its a different story. Even though one side is safer than the other a transplant from idaho can still can get mugged for his iphone south of the deegan or tourist from boston walking down walton avenue gets robbed at knife point. Or susan a student of fordam university orginally delaware escapes from being raped near arthur avenue. These are all likely scenarios in safer areas of the hood.
Getting back to the original discussion, you could have a strip that's worse or better than the surrounding neighborhood. In some cases, it's better because there are more people walking around, so there's more visibility (people waiting for the bus or walking to the train or whatever), and in other cases, it's worse because you have more people hanging out along the main strip.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:40 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Purple areas:

BX:
Watson/Ward corridor (Along Watson Ave+Cross Streets from about Colgate Ave to the BX River Parkway)
Soundview@Story Ave (Soundview Park to Monroe PJs/Taylor Ave, Lafayette to Watson Ave
Randall@Rosedale Ave (Soundview PJs+immediate streets outside.
E163rd St, Southern Blvd to Rogers Pl, both sides of 163rd
Timpson@Ave St John
Third Ave@Alexander, including Mitchell/Paterson/Mott Haven't PJs
East 141@Beekman+Cypress
Brook@137th
Brook@142nd area
E 194th/Decatur/Valentine corridor
E183rd/Walton corridor
Vicinity of Webster Houses/Wash Ave Webster/Morris PJs, absolutely awful neighborhood.

Plenty more but I have been all over the country and these are as bad as the worst parts of San Fran, DC, Chicago, Detroit, Philly, LA, Baltimore, Newark, Miami, and plenty more I had the opportunity to travel. I'll add them as I remember. These areas alone are the usual locations of shootings and major drug corridors. Very high poverty areas.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:20 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
You're right. I remember how it is around East Tremont. But I think it suffers from the same issue as University Ave - it's kinda no-man's land in the Bronx when you're not close to a train. And that strip is pretty bad - I remember crackheads and stuff walking around or sleeping on the pedestrian malls.
East tremont is one of the ugliest, dirtiest, and nastiest neighborhoods I have ever been to.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718
Vicinity of Webster Houses/Wash Ave Webster/Morris PJs, absolutely awful neighborhood.
You said this is an "absolutely awful neighborhood" but didn't say that about the other areas. Are you implying this area is even worse than the others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City