Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times

Advertisements

Why is the area between Ocean Parkway and Coney Island Avenue orange?

That's the area that had a 66% population gain between 2000 and 2010 censuses with 1 million dollar condos... I highly doubt the Brighton Magnet Elementary school area is just as dangerous as East Flatbush, unless you are afraid of 7 year olds who study math and go to chess clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

That's the area that had a 66% population gain between 2000 and 2010 censuses with 1 million dollar condos... I highly doubt the Brighton Magnet Elementary school area is just as dangerous as East Flatbush, unless you are afraid of 7 year olds who study math and go to chess clubs.
Revised.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Once again (on behalf of checkmate), we would like to thank everybody for their input on these maps.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:

No, it actually had a 17.3% loss in population.

In any case, I had relatives who lived there back in the 1990s and they said it was pretty bad, with drug dealers and prostitutes living on the block. They showed me later on, and it still didn't seem too great. At the very least, it should be yellow (I'll revise it back to include that area, but as yellow instead of orange). I mean, that was the very first section of Brighton Beach I decided to put shading in (and then I added the part east of the train tracks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Revised.
South of Brighton Beach Avenue I don't even think it warrants a yellow shading. If you go down with Google Streetview, you see old ladies hanging out in front of their building. What are they going to do? Beat you with a cane?

But then again, I do remember coming back home with my mom late at night, and there were drunks shouting in the street and everything, but that was mostly along Brighton Beach Avenue itself (which is already yellow).

And the area between Coney Island Avenue and Brighton 10th Street doesn't have any condos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Once again (on behalf of checkmate), we would like to thank everybody for their input on these maps.
Seconded.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:50 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
And the area between Coney Island Avenue and Brighton 10th Street doesn't have any condos.
There is a condo building on EVERY block on the orange shaded area. The orange designated area I had a problem with was between Ocean Parkway and Coney Island Ave.

There are 2 15 (?) story luxury condo towers on Brighton 6th completed in 2009, and there are at least 15 other buildings lower height, all luxury condos.

Quote:
No, it actually had a 17.3% loss in population.

In any case, I had relatives who lived there back in the 1990s and they said it was pretty bad, with drug dealers and prostitutes living on the block.
Back in the 1990s is a key phrase here. Back in the 90s was bad in a lot of places with a 2000 murders a year homicide rate in the city and all.

Quote:
South of Brighton Beach Avenue I don't even think it warrants a yellow shading. If you go down with Google Streetview, you see old ladies hanging out in front of their building. What are they going to do? Beat you with a cane?
Yeah that section is some kind of city sponsored elderly section 8 program or whatever. I don't think any of those buildings have a person that's younger than 65 years of age.... The views out of those buildings must be great though.

Last edited by Gantz; 06-02-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 03:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
1) There is a condo building on EVERY block on the orange shaded area. The orange designated area I had a problem with was between Ocean Parkway and Coney Island Ave.

There are 2 15 (?) story luxury condo towers on Brighton 6th completed in 2009, and there are at least 15 other buildings lower height, all luxury condos.

2) Back in the 1990s is a key phrase here. Back in the 90s was bad in a lot of places with a 2000 murders a year homicide rate in the city and all.

3) Yeah that section is some kind of city sponsored elderly section 8 program or whatever. I don't think any of those buildings have a person that's younger than 65 years of age.... The views out of those buildings must be great though.
1) Alright, and the orange shading was removed, so what's the problem? Everything is yellow now.

2) But I said a relative also took me back there to see his old home, and it still didn't look too great. Hell, my pediatrician was in that area north of BB Avenue, and I still didn't think it was the greatest area. (And this was back in 2004). But, like I said, I could see your logic in wanting the orange removed, but I still think it should be yellow. (But then again, keep in mind that this was east of CI Avenue)

And in any case, didn't anon1 mention that there had been an increase in murders recently compared to previous years?

3) Actually, only like 40% of the people in that area are elderly. Still pretty impressive, though, how many there are.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:59 PM

203 posts, read 386,260 times
I recently walked west along 167th Street to the Grand Concourse to get back to the subway. College Avenue seemed to be a dividing line where the neighborhood changed. The blocks to the east of this avenue are noticeably worse than the blocks to the west of it. Possibly this avenue is the dividing line where this starts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718
Vicinity of Webster Houses/Wash Ave Webster/Morris PJs, absolutely awful neighborhood.
Even so, that area still just doesn't seem purple to me. I've walked through it a few times now. It's chaotic, dirty and run-down. But it's not the worst of the worst either. Nobody bothers me when I'm just minding my own business. (That said, I'm usually only there during the daytime.) And even outside the projects themselves, I don't usually see sketchy characters hanging out doing nothing. In fact, the area around and just outside the projects is usually strangely quiet. The activity that exists is on nearby commercial strips which have mostly low-end, but apparently legitimate, businesses.

If that area is purple, all of East New York and Brownsville and much of Bedford-Stuyvesant and Bushwick should be purple as well.

Last edited by IAmEverywhere; 06-02-2012 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Minor changes

Old 06-02-2012, 10:49 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
1) Alright, and the orange shading was removed, so what's the problem? Everything is yellow now.

2) But I said a relative also took me back there to see his old home, and it still didn't look too great. Hell, my pediatrician was in that area north of BB Avenue, and I still didn't think it was the greatest area. (And this was back in 2004). But, like I said, I could see your logic in wanting the orange removed, but I still think it should be yellow. (But then again, keep in mind that this was east of CI Avenue)

And in any case, didn't anon1 mention that there had been an increase in murders recently compared to previous years?

3) Actually, only like 40% of the people in that area are elderly. Still pretty impressive, though, how many there are.
I didn't mention it... I just copied what the statistics mentioned for me... 11 homicides last year within the Brighton Beach/Sheepshead Bay area... The highest total it ever recorded was last year. I'll be the first to admit though, I don't have the slightest idea how that area really is... In this case, I just went by the numbers and on word of mouth to formulate my opinion on the area...

Old 06-03-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
I recently walked west along 167th Street to the Grand Concourse to get back to the subway. College Avenue seemed to be a dividing line where the neighborhood changed. The blocks to the east of this avenue are noticeably worse than the blocks to the west of it. Possibly this avenue is the dividing line where this starts:

Even so, that area still just doesn't seem purple to me. I've walked through it a few times now. It's chaotic, dirty and run-down. But it's not the worst of the worst either. Nobody bothers me when I'm just minding my own business. (That said, I'm usually only there during the daytime.) And even outside the projects themselves, I don't usually see sketchy characters hanging out doing nothing. In fact, the area around and just outside the projects is usually strangely quiet. The activity that exists is on nearby commercial strips which have mostly low-end, but apparently legitimate, businesses.

If that area is purple, all of East New York and Brownsville and much of Bedford-Stuyvesant and Bushwick should be purple as well.
That area is pretty bad. I didn't even think about making it purple. Maybe I'll sit back and let some Bronx residents chime in on this. I'm pretty sure they will agree that Millbrook/Mitchel/Patterson should be purple. I've been in Morris Houses on Washington Avenue and those are some disgusting projects to me. I'm pretty sure some part of Morrissania should be purple. I'll let you guys chime in. I know some parts of Soundview should be purple too.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:00 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
I agree with I_am_everywhere that purple should only be limited to a select few areas in this city... You should be able to count those areas on one or at most two hands... No area in this city compares to other hoods across the country where regardless of color territory dictates whether you make it out of there or not... Parts of this city used to be like that but not anymore... Purple should indicate worst of the worst where day or night regardless you need to take precaution... Noticed I only mentioned Mother Gaston Blvd/Stone avenue in ENY/Brownsville because within that boulevard you hit three of what are arguably some of the worst projects in Brooklyn at the same time... Pink on Watkins and Brownsville and Tilden once you pass that strip around Belmont... I doubt few areas in the city compare to that level of shady but that should be the standard for purple because we have already designated hood areas as red where you need to take serious precaution...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City