Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xqt View Post
I am not familiar with the entire area
It stays the way it is.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:48 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Shooting this morning on east 124th, off 5th Avenue.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:00 PM

23 posts, read 39,094 times
Hello, all:

I think the Bed-Stuy portion of the map is outdated, and I think part of the Clinton Hill portion has more to do with real estate prices than with actual safety/skeeziness.

Bed-Stuy: There's no way the blocks immediately north of Fulton Park should be orange. Lewis and Stuyvesant Avenues up to, say, Halsey or Hancock are among the safest and most peaceful-seeming bits of Brooklyn. My sixty-year-old mother just spent a couple weeks visiting and wandering those areas, and said she felt more comfortable than she ever did when visiting me during my years in Clinton Hill.

And beyond that -- man, I live one block into one of the red areas, on Putnam across from the Sumner Armory, and it's definitely not red-worthy. I've been here six months, after three years of living on Lefferts Place in Clinton Hill, and the levels of violence, skeeziness, and general misconduct just don't compare. Lefferts Place was way worse. (Though still not horrible!)

I'd like to suggest switching the blocks between Lewis and Stuyvesant up to Jefferson to yellow, and switching the area bordered by Jefferson, Tompkins, Monroe and Stuyvesant Ave to orange. Red ought to designate legitimately threatening areas, and those blocks just don't qualify.

Thanks,
- BKT

Old 01-22-2014, 03:19 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
That's including Jamaica, Atlantic, Rockaway, Liberty, Pitkin ave, etc... Do you live in NYC... Granted that area isn't on par with its neighbors but I think orange is a reasonable shading... I worked over there two years ago and a lot of trinitarios had moved in around there between Jamaica and atlantic on the blvd. You'd see the apartment buildings tagged up with gang signs from both kings and trinis and Neta used to have a couple of chapters over there years ago as well... My cousin who lives on 78th got jumped by two bloods by woodhaven and Jamaica also and they broke his nose for an ipod... Random occurences, but I wouldn't consider that area completely safe for the most inexperienced of tourists which is what a non-shading would indicate
You might be right about Woodhaven and Jamaica after all. Heard someone was stabbed there on the J train platform the other night. It was at 4am so that can happen anywhere, especially if drunk and running your mouth.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:53 PM

5 posts, read 7,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I spent a few hours this weekend working on some safety maps for the 5 boroughs.

Queens: Queens Safety Map - Google Maps

Manhattan: Manhattan Safety Map - Google Maps

Brooklyn: Brooklyn Safety Map - Google Maps

Bronx: Bronx Safety Map - Google Maps

Staten Island: Staten Island Safety Map - Google Maps

Red means that the area should be avoided, and if you must go in there, you should use caution.

Orange means that a suburbanite would probably be scared of the area, but somebody with a reasonable amount of street-smarts should be fine (no offense to anybody, but a decent number of people on the LI forums would fall into that category). You may see people hanging out, but that would be more of a nusiance than a threat (now, if you're regularly seeing gang members hanging out on the street, then it would be a red zone). You may want to use a little extra caution at night, but you should still be fine (i.e. Maybe you'll want to take a cab home rather than the subway)

Yellow means that the area should be fine to anybody, but you may still see occasional incidents. You just need basic street smarts (don't go out drunk waving the money and expensive gadgets) and you should be fine.

This isn't absolute, and it's open to debate. SeventhFloor proofread it for me, and we had some disagreements over whether some areas should be shaded in or not, and to what degree, so I figured I'd mention it, and if enough people agreed on it, I'd shade it in (or take out shading).

Obviously, these things are subjective and one should always check out an area before moving in. Also, this is how safe some areas are now, so any "up-and-coming" areas that are still relatively dangerous are shaded in red. Also keep in mind that a red zone can is everything over a certain threshold of crime, ranging from some parts of the North Shore of SI to Brownsville and East NY so keep that in mind.
So you consider Marlboro Projects in Brooklyn is NOT "hood"?

S.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:23 AM

283 posts, read 369,778 times
Just for comparison's sake, it would be interesting to have similar maps for neighborhoods' safety from, say, 1975 or so. Any old-timers want to take that on?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
Just for comparison's sake, it would be interesting to have similar maps for neighborhoods' safety from, say, 1975 or so. Any old-timers want to take that on?
The outcome would be a lot more purple and red. Kinda boring if you ask me.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:23 PM

52 posts, read 251,821 times
I thought NYC was the safest big city in America and one of the safest places to live. Why on NYC Safety maps do they have red icon markers at places like Borinquen Plaza (NYCHA), Red Hook Houses, Farragut Houses, Walt Whitman Houses, Ingersoll Houses, Bedstuy, Crown Heights, Brownsville, East New York. And then they have purple for the so called worst areas Brownsville Houses, Langston Hughes Houses, Van Houses/Tilden Houses (NYCHA), Unity Plaza Aka The Bamas, Howard Houses/Glenmore Plaza, Cypress Hill Houses, Louis H Pink Houses. I thought NYC was yuppyville with money and hardly any crime. When I compare this to Philly safety map it makes Brooklyn look just as dangerous as Philly. I thought Philadelphia was a million times worser than Brooklyn in terms of crime. Does anybody know both citys and the good and the bad areas to give me a description on whether crime in Brooklyn is way overhyped . The map makes Brooklyn try to look like Camden or Philly lol

Old 01-31-2014, 04:32 PM

52 posts, read 251,821 times
Im totally confused I thought 5 boroughs were yuppyville and full of money and safe. Why do these maps depict NYC as a big and bad dangerous place I thought NYC is safe. I mean does NYC really have crime like Philly, Baltimore, and Washington DC I would tend to think that NYC doesnt even average a murder a day lol! Which is a good think so why does everybody act like NYC is so hood. Its not I wish Philly was like NYC but its not its filled with ten times the amount of ghettos and slums than NYC . The Boston Secor Houses, White Plains Road Corridor, Edenwald Houses, Castle Hill Houses, Mott Haven, Woodstock, Morrisiania, Highbridge, University Heights , Crotona Park, Concourse Village, Claremont, Hunts Point Soundview, Fordham Bedford Heights

Millbrook Houses Watson Ave Corridor, West 183rd Street corridor are they really that bad all I hear about NYC is how big and safe and gentrified it is. All I hear about Philly is how crimeridden it is . Why do Newyorkers like to boast about there city being bad when its a beautiful wonderful city I am confused. Why would you want to be like Philly which is a billion times worse. It amuses me lol. I thought the bronx is like candyland now and anybody can visit. The last time I thought the bronx was bad was when they said it was burning I thought lol

Old 01-31-2014, 06:21 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsharkboy View Post
Im totally confused I thought 5 boroughs were yuppyville and full of money and safe. Why do these maps depict NYC as a big and bad dangerous place I thought NYC is safe. I mean does NYC really have crime like Philly, Baltimore, and Washington DC I would tend to think that NYC doesnt even average a murder a day lol! Which is a good think so why does everybody act like NYC is so hood. Its not I wish Philly was like NYC but its not its filled with ten times the amount of ghettos and slums than NYC . The Boston Secor Houses, White Plains Road Corridor, Edenwald Houses, Castle Hill Houses, Mott Haven, Woodstock, Morrisiania, Highbridge, University Heights , Crotona Park, Concourse Village, Claremont, Hunts Point Soundview, Fordham Bedford Heights

Millbrook Houses Watson Ave Corridor, West 183rd Street corridor are they really that bad all I hear about NYC is how big and safe and gentrified it is. All I hear about Philly is how crimeridden it is . Why do Newyorkers like to boast about there city being bad when its a beautiful wonderful city I am confused. Why would you want to be like Philly which is a billion times worse. It amuses me lol. I thought the bronx is like candyland now and anybody can visit. The last time I thought the bronx was bad was when they said it was burning I thought lol
Yes! The entire NYC is like candyland. No crime happens here. It's 100% completely gentrified. Bodegas do not exist; they have all been replaced by bubble tea cafes.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City