Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM

288 posts, read 566,490 times

Advertisements

That's because CRIME has to be taken SEriously MAN! That's what this forum THRIVES on!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Checkmate...this is an interesting map but clearly your Southern Bronx map is kinda outdated. I would say that is what it was in the 90s....but not today. I would like to provide my block by block insight to the Southern Bronx area (South of 163rd only)...and provide a more up to date, accurate, and more nuanced assessment based on the changes occuring. Do you really believe Melrose, which has almost completely been redeveloped as a new working/middle class enclave should simply be avoided and is dangerous? No way.

Provide me access and I will fix the obvious errors and provide insight into the real problem areas of the community, and those which are changing and should not be overlooked. You should be providing access to the trusted experts you know on this site who can give you the real nuanced and current block by block insight into safety and changes.
Courtlandt Ave. is dangerous and one of the worst strips if not the worst in Melrose.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
Shape 8 and Shape 11 seems very conservative. When I'm in the area I don't feel like it's a red zone around 8th and 7th avenues. It's probably a lot different at night though.

Perhaps you can add the new developments or condo buildings in Harlem. That way we can know some pockets of "yellow" even if they are within orange and red zones, especially with all the gentrification that is supposedly going on in Harlem. At least we know where certain seeds are planted for growth in the neighborhoods. I would be willing to find all the developments and add to the map if I knew how.

All in all, very informative and I appreciate the effort.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I suggest you change it then. There is no difference between the areas. Western University Heights even has more homicides than eastern University Heights. Show me the guy who said that to you so I can teach him a lesson.
There was a recent thread where SeventhFloor asked about the area by BxCC. I know somebody there said that it was better than the rest of University Heights. I'm too tired to look up the thread myself, but it happened within the past couple of weeks.

Quote:
Again, I don't tell you this for no other reason than to have you be accurate. With the map you are misleading people and giving them a false sense of security that unfortunately may lead to serious problems.
Alright, and I encouraged this debate from the very beginning. Already, I've adjusted some of the borders of the different areas based on input from other users.

Since you proved your point, I'll change the coloring to red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
1) You can't map crime with solid lines. There is no end point. It's too dynamic. NYC most crime proned areas are in concentrations/pockets like the above Washington DC map.

2) These maps are a disservice to many communities represented. I don't know about you but when I walk through an area like Brownsville (Represented as red on your map) I never worry about homicide. At the worst I worry about strong arm or gun point robbery. No different then my worry in any public housing complex I enter, or even a late night past a problem nightlife establishment in Midtown. There are also sub-sections of overall high crime neighborhoods with low rates of violent crime, and the reverse.

Here are two more maps that are very relevant to the subject:

See the correlations?
1) The map you showed with the incarceration rate does show solid lines because it does it by census tracts.

I'm not trying to imply that crime has definite boundaries. One side of the street may be orange and the other side may be yellow, but will that guarantee that you are that much safer? No, but it serves as a guide. That's the whole point of this map: To serve as a guide.

2) When anybody goes through a dangerous area, they really shouldn't be worried about a homicide. Most homicides happen between people that know each other, and the rate is already low relative to other kinds of crime (you have a much higher chance of getting robbed than killed). In red areas, the chances of you becoming a crime victim are higher.

And yes, I know there are safer subsections, and that's why I wanted everybody's input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Shape 8 and Shape 11 seems very conservative. When I'm in the area I don't feel like it's a red zone around 8th and 7th avenues. It's probably a lot different at night though.

Perhaps you can add the new developments or condo buildings in Harlem. That way we can know some pockets of "yellow" even if they are within orange and red zones, especially with all the gentrification that is supposedly going on in Harlem. At least we know where certain seeds are planted for growth in the neighborhoods. I would be willing to find all the developments and add to the map if I knew how.

All in all, very informative and I appreciate the effort.
Alright. If anybody can name specific parts of Harlem that should be shaded in differently, I'll be more than happy to change them.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
South Jamaica is a tricky one. The map does make sense, you really did a great job, as a resident of South Jamaica (unfortunately ) I can see it's pretty much spot on.

The ONLY change I'd make is moving Rochdale from yellow to orange, that strip of Guy R Brewer isn't really much different from Rochdale itself, incidents happen more often than just occasionally, and certainly more often than its immediate surroundings which also rank as yellow. Other than that it's a pretty impressive map.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
I suggest you change it then. There is no difference between the areas. Western University Heights even has more homicides than eastern University Heights. Show me the guy who said that to you so I can teach him a lesson.
Here's the thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...y-college.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
South Jamaica is a tricky one. The map does make sense, you really did a great job, as a resident of South Jamaica (unfortunately ) I can see it's pretty much spot on.

The ONLY change I'd make is moving Rochdale from yellow to orange, that strip of Guy R Brewer isn't really much different from Rochdale itself, incidents happen more often than just occasionally, and certainly more often than its immediate surroundings which also rank as yellow. Other than that it's a pretty impressive map.
I'll be off for the weekend, so I'll do it next week.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:26 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,338 times
@ checkmatechamp I just want to thank you for providing this map to everyone as a guideline for what areas to avoid as well as the vice versa. You and seventhfloor have done a great job of making the boundaries as well as collaborating with the members of city-data to further improve the map. It's safe to say that 95% of the people that have posted on this thread wouldn't have taken the time to create this map on thier own for the benefit of others and yet they are the quickest ones to judge and react when something doesn't suit their opinion of a specific area...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post

137th in Mott Haven between Mitchell and Millbrook should be "Super Red" last year there were atleast 2 murders on that stretch.
Correction,

Atleast 3.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:18 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
The projects in lower East Harlem (horizontal red zone) have a gap between them that should be fixed.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:05 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

Thank you

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City