Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I've read that they develop better socially when they have a play mate.
Yeah, that's what Kitty Kind (the shelter where I adopted my two cats) said. Though it's really funny to watch them interact: they fight, one steals the others treats, but then they'll "wash" each other and play together too.

I'm a firm believer from adoption from shelters (or the street) and not from stores or breeders. There are just way too many animals out there that need homes. My two are gorgeous and can't imagine how anyone would throw them out on the street. One is pure white with bright green eyes. He was found in someone's back yard. His mom was malnourished and had two kittens, his sibling was still born. When I adopted him, he was very malnourished too. He was timid and didn't come out from under the couch for three days. Now he won't leave me alone. The other cat I have is long haired and orange (might be a Main Coon from her size) with bright green eyes. Someone found her in a parking lot crying. She's still extremely vocal and will meow back at you when you talk to her. She also "cries" when she want's to be petted or picked up.

The cat I had growing up was also abandoned. Someone left him in a box in front of a church. He was a Flame Point Siamese and was raised with my dog, which was a Keeshond (adopted from a family friend who could no longer keep her).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
There's a spaniel rescue called "Abandoned Angels" that pulls nearly all the spaniels brought into AC&C if you're ever looking for a playmate for your new little one.
Thanks. I saw that website when I was looking for a pup. They had a lot of older dogs, which I wouldn't have minded but I have a cat so I figured getting a little one would be easier on her. I was wrong lol

Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Most independant pet suppy stores have notices on their windows about cats that need to adopted.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Thanks. I saw that website when I was looking for a pup. They had a lot of older dogs, which I wouldn't have minded but I have a cat so I figured getting a little one would be easier on her. I was wrong lol
Generally, pure breed rescues are generally older, it's rare to find a true "puppy". Most seem to be at least a year or older. On the plus side of that, most come already housebroken and knowing basic commands.

We have 2 rescued English Bull Terriers and when we brought our first one home (she was 14 weeks), our cat wasn't nearly as excited as we were- he was nearly 14 at the time. She learned quickly to leave him alone, he left a claw in her nose.

Bringing a new pet home, especially a young one, is usually a difficult transition for the animals already in a home. Slow introduction is the key, a mistake we made with the cat and first dog- we just plopped her in the house and gave her free roam. We were much more on top of it with our second rescue and despite the occasional skirmish, the cat has learned to tolerate both dogs but he definitely rules the roost and reminds them of that fact.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Generally, pure breed rescues are generally older, it's rare to find a true "puppy". Most seem to be at least a year or older. On the plus side of that, most come already housebroken and knowing basic commands.

We have 2 rescued English Bull Terriers and when we brought our first one home (she was 14 weeks), our cat wasn't nearly as excited as we were- he was nearly 14 at the time. She learned quickly to leave him alone, he left a claw in her nose.

Bringing a new pet home, especially a young one, is usually a difficult transition for the animals already in a home. Slow introduction is the key, a mistake we made with the cat and first dog- we just plopped her in the house and gave her free roam. We were much more on top of it with our second rescue and despite the occasional skirmish, the cat has learned to tolerate both dogs but he definitely rules the roost and reminds them of that fact.
That's exactly what we're going through. It's not an issue of him transitioning into a new home but rather for her. She's about 13-14 years old and has been the only pet. We kept them separated when we first got the puppy. The pup downstairs and the cat with card blanc to roam the house upstairs. They were slowly introduced (at least I thought so) and kitty would go up to him and sniff and sometimes hiss but just a little. Now that he's 5 months old, he no longer fears her. We don't keep them completely isolated. He is in a playpen (not a crate) during the day and she may roam as she likes. They instigate each other. He will push the pen so he blocks her path. He will be sitting quietly and as she walks past him, she stops and just hisses at him for no reason. It's pretty comical sometimes. She still has her claws and has swatted at him twice. I think she made contact once, but no scratch or anything. I noticed the past week or so that she "spits" at him when she's really mad. I need a trainer because this isn't something I can handle on my own. I bought a clicker but the instructions really aren't clear and thorough and I swear, I think he has ADHD...I mean it in a very sweet and endearing way lol...I can't get him to focus long enough. I tried the clicker exercise and ended up giving him like 15 of the training morsels lol..that's when I realized I need professional help (maybe for me too lol)

Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what we're going through. It's not an issue of him transitioning into a new home but rather for her. She's about 13-14 years old and has been the only pet. We kept them separated when we first got the puppy. The pup downstairs and the cat with card blanc to roam the house upstairs. They were slowly introduced (at least I thought so) and kitty would go up to him and sniff and sometimes hiss but just a little. Now that he's 5 months old, he no longer fears her. We don't keep them completely isolated. He is in a playpen (not a crate) during the day and she may roam as she likes. They instigate each other. He will push the pen so he blocks her path. He will be sitting quietly and as she walks past him, she stops and just hisses at him for no reason. It's pretty comical sometimes. She still has her claws and has swatted at him twice. I think she made contact once, but no scratch or anything. I noticed the past week or so that she "spits" at him when she's really mad. I need a trainer because this isn't something I can handle on my own. I bought a clicker but the instructions really aren't clear and thorough and I swear, I think he has ADHD...I mean it in a very sweet and endearing way lol...I can't get him to focus long enough. I tried the clicker exercise and ended up giving him like 15 of the training morsels lol..that's when I realized I need professional help (maybe for me too lol)
Our cat was the same exact way with the first dog. I honestly don't know what changed besides the dog leaving him alone but one day the cat seemed to give up on harassing her.

How old is the puppy? I can sympathize, both of my dogs (ages 1 & 2 1/2) are spoiled rotten and only moderately trained. Neither will sit on command most times. I'm just really grateful they housetrained in under 6 months. Having a puppy can make you lose your mind. LOL

Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Our cat was the same exact way with the first dog. I honestly don't know what changed besides the dog leaving him alone but one day the cat seemed to give up on harassing her.

How old is the puppy? I can sympathize, both of my dogs (ages 1 & 2 1/2) are spoiled rotten and only moderately trained. Neither will sit on command most times. I'm just really grateful they housetrained in under 6 months. Having a puppy can make you lose your mind. LOL
He's 5 months old. I have to say that I was very lucky with housetraining. Within a few days he was able to "hold it". We got him at 10 weeks. He has a few spills from time to time but that's usually when he's running around the house playing and we missed the potty break time. He does sit by the door when he's ready, which is really cute. He picked up "sit", "stay" and "lay down" very quickly but he hasn't given up on chasing the cat LOL. The other thing is teething but he's getting better. I just keep trays of icecubes ready for him.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
We got our cat from a Manhattan rescue poshpetsrescue.org. They were great and also have kittens, dogs and puppies. All the animals were rescued from the Animal Care and Control in the city!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
He's 5 months old. I have to say that I was very lucky with housetraining. Within a few days he was able to "hold it". We got him at 10 weeks. He has a few spills from time to time but that's usually when he's running around the house playing and we missed the potty break time. He does sit by the door when he's ready, which is really cute. He picked up "sit", "stay" and "lay down" very quickly but he hasn't given up on chasing the cat LOL. The other thing is teething but he's getting better. I just keep trays of icecubes ready for him.
Ah, teething... my one year old still loves to chew preferably my slippers and paper. We used frozen carrots during the active teething phase.

My female housetrained very quickly, my male was stubborn with nighttime potty breaks. It took a good 5-6 months of me taking him outside every 2 hours during the night for it to sink in.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM

387 posts, read 680,330 times
Quote:
I got my cat from North Shore also and I agree, there are so many unwanted animals but some people just have a preference to a certain breed. We just got a puppy from a breeder because the majority of pups are pitbull mixes and North Shore denied us because the puppy would have been alone for 5 hours. Hubby wanted a cocker spaniel and they are very difficult to find in shelters (pure breeds, at least). Most pure breed pups and kittens are no where near "thousands" of dollars. We found that at the end of the day, between the "donation" to North Shore and the spay/neuter fees, buying a pure breed wasn't much more than what we paid the breeder. If you're looking for show dogs, that's where you spend more money. My co-worker shows and breeds Bijons and was selling his pups for about $1500.

OP, try to go to another shelter, if possible. I found North Shore lately has been denying a lot of applicants and they're adoption process includes a lot of red tape. Go on petfinder.com. You'll find a lot more selections or go to a local shelter. A few years ago I did see Russian Blues at the shelters. They are the 1st to go but you have to time it with the seasons. Also keep in mind that North Shore (not sure about other shelters), requires that kittens be adopted in 2's unless otherwise specified.
I adopted my puppy 2 1/2 years ago from North Shore. We actually got him off the Adoption bus when it came to my neighborhood. Adoptions from the bus are much easier than going to North Shore. They need to get the bus empty. I adopted my dog close to the end of there day on a Friday afternoon in July during a bad rain storm & all they wanted to do was hit the road & get back to LI.

The women took my info collected the money & handed me the dog with few questions asked.

BTW, my puppy has the life!
Attached Thumbnails
Cat owners, where did you get your cat?-jack-birthday-pic.jpg   Cat owners, where did you get your cat?-bmw-jack.jpg   Cat owners, where did you get your cat?-sdc13023.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City