Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times

Advertisements

NYKiddo is going to wet his pants again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
NYKiddo: Lower Concourse - Department of City Planning

As I stated, everything is now in place, and the "For Sale" signs have sprouted all along Bruckner Boulevard. I see the redevelopment commencing in earnest within the next 7 years. During that same time ( I recommend clicking on the links as most have a visual and lots of good info):

1. The large high rise mixed use developments along the Sheridan Expwy will be mostly complete.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/re...anted=all&_r=0

2. All remaining parcels in Melrose will be built with mixed income housing and retail.

3. The 190,000 sf new retail and office building "Triangle Plaza" will be complete on 149th and Bergen in the Hub (to include a "fresh supermarket", outdoor restaurants, etc).
Projects Add Amenities to Hub in Bronx - WSJ.com
The Hub Gets New Life: Key Bronx Crossroads on the Road to Revitalization

4.The 165,000 sf Riverdale Crossing mall along the Major Deegan will be complete. Tenants include Buffalo Wild Wings, Petco, BJs
Bronx Retail Real Estate | Equity One Bronx

5. The new 800,000 sf mall in Co-op city will be complete. Anchors include Macy's and JC Penny's.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/re...the-bronx.html

6. The new Webster Ave mix use corridor will also be in the middle of development.
http://www.nycedc.com/sites/default/...eb_version.pdf
Rezoning May Bolster Webster Avenue - WSJ.com

7. The Bronx Opera House Hotel will be up and running on 149th and Bergen.
Bronx Opera House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Opera House Hotel - Coming Soon

8. The new Paragon Outlets retail shopping center (formerly Whitestone Cinema) will be complete.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TING/120719917

9. New Crossroads Plaza development which is 14 stories, 400,000 sf mixed use development ( 1 rental building, 2 condo buildings), school + 40,000 sf of retail + pedestrian plaza (decommisioning Union Ave) will be complete in Mott Haven.
City plans tall buildings on former garden site

In the next 10 years, the Bronx as a whole, and particularly the Southern Bronx, will look and feel very different due to all of this massive residential and retail development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Melrose is an interesting case study. As late as 2005 the blocks from E156th to E163rd were vacant lots with the occassional tenement here and there sticking out like a sore thumb. The neighborhood was developed very fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Sobroguy got this NYkiddo wet and jumping like a puppy with that link!
Quote:
Lol...if that made him jumping and wet, my post with 9 links made his head explode!
I love these developments and upzonings, heard about almost all of them. Extra excited about the Sheridan one because it's huge (even excluding the likely expressway conversion) and will transform that area completely.

However, the one area I want to find out more about (in terms of serious renderings/planning) is the Mott Haven Waterfront between the Third Ave Bridge and Cypress Ave.

I hope a big time developer comes in very soon to start building, with a SHoP Architects like design. Like I said before, a Hunter's Point South development would be great at that location. A mix of mid and high rises with roof decks and waterfront access.

Also, regarding far East Fordham Road.

Quote:
To promote more foot traffic, the proposal would also require new buildings to line up at street level and will force community and commercial uses for the ground floor
Yes!!! Should be a requirement in most rezonings!!!

How about reducing (or eliminating) the parking minimums there too and other Bronx "hubs".

Old 06-05-2013, 11:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
Agreed!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 05:04 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
The Webster Avenue rezoning plan is great news for the residents of Fordham, Bedford Park and Norwood but Webster Avenue south of Fordham will remain as it is. The initial rezoning plan included this area but it has been omitted. This plan is not relevant to South Bronx anymore.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
And who can forget the new Kingsbridge Armory Redevelopment into the world's largest ice skating facility!
Kingsbridge Armory In Bronx Will Be World's Largest Indoor Ice Skating Center, Bloomberg Announces (IMAGES)

Over the next 7 years, the Bronx will be completely different in many ways, and attract a completely different population.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:18 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,853 times
Quote:
And who can forget the new Kingsbridge Armory Redevelopment into the world's largest ice skating facility!
Kingsbridge Armory In Bronx Will Be World's Largest Indoor Ice Skating Center, Bloomberg Announces (IMAGES)

Over the next 7 years, the Bronx will be completely different in many ways, and attract a completely different population.
You're exactly right... No working class population to speak of... It'll be filled with hipsters... Not saying there's anything wrong with that but it will follow the same exact path as did Manhattan, Brooklyn and Western Queens... There will be no difference with Mott Haven...

Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
You're exactly right... No working class population to speak of... It'll be filled with hipsters... Not saying there's anything wrong with that but it will follow the same exact path as did Manhattan, Brooklyn and Western Queens... There will be no difference with Mott Haven...
Do hipsters ice skate? I only see hipsters ride bikes. The rink is in a mostly Dominican hood, Dominicans dont ice skate. None that I know of at least.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,853 times
Quote:
Do hipsters ice skate? I only see hipsters ride bikes. The rink is in a mostly Dominican hood, Dominicans dont ice skate. None that I know of at least.
Only if its cool...

Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,048 times
Quote:
Did you ever think that maybe if the facilities were provided, more people in that area might ice skate or play related sports?

The Ice Center will be good for the Bronx. It's relevant, it's an attraction, it puts an underutilized space to good use.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
It'll be like Yankee Stadium. People will come from all over. As for Dominicans not skating, you know every Dominican in the world to say that no one Dominican skates or ever will skate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City