Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:35 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the laws regarding the use of Rat Poison outside of someone's home? Our neighbor passed away last August and the house was recently sold. The new owners had Rat Baits placed all around the house, the lawn, around the garage. They don't live there yet otherwise I would have confronted them. My block is very residential with all private homes. People have connecting back yards and sometimes their dogs share the yards. People allow their cats to go out not to mention the many children in the area. My landlady has lived there for more than 50 years and I've been there for 20. Never once in all that time have we seen even the evidence of mice or rats. Nor have we seen anyone use Rat Poison before. I am so concerned for not only the pets and children, but also for the native wildlife. We have families of beautiful Cardinals and other song birds. There is a family of squirrels that live in their tree. There is no fence around their house or yard. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 02:27 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Ilona, I know for NYC when they do pest control, especially for rodents, the poison is placed where it's not accessible to the public, pets, birds, etc. It's extremely toxic and can be lethal. Do you know what kind of baits they are? If it's baits then those should be somewhat safer than laying the actual poison outside around the house. Can you reach out to the town you live in at the Nassau border? My guess is whether you contact 311 or the town, they may both tell the neighbor that they have to remove it. I live probably not that far from you and the only pests I've seen are the ugly possums (and lots of stray cats) but I have cardinals, blue jays and mockingbirds in my yard all the time. Be safe. Hopefully it's only traps they're using and not poison.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 PM

142 posts, read 259,578 times
No fence around the yard and some are laying out in the open, you say? Well, at least those ones shouldn't pose any lasting problem...

Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Call 311. Let the City sort it out.

Perhaps warn all your neighbors.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Ilona, I know for NYC when they do pest control, especially for rodents, the poison is placed where it's not accessible to the public, pets, birds, etc. It's extremely toxic and can be lethal. Do you know what kind of baits they are? If it's baits then those should be somewhat safer than laying the actual poison outside around the house. Can you reach out to the town you live in at the Nassau border? My guess is whether you contact 311 or the town, they may both tell the neighbor that they have to remove it. I live probably not that far from you and the only pests I've seen are the ugly possums (and lots of stray cats) but I have cardinals, blue jays and mockingbirds in my yard all the time. Be safe. Hopefully it's only traps they're using and not poison.
Yes they are indeed the Baits.
I've called 311 and basically what I found out is that if it's on their property it is legal. Only if they had spread poison on the lawns then they'd have to adhere to the 'Neighbor Notification Law'. It's all very frustrating. We have never seen vermin in our area.
As for oppossums - I actually think they are adorable because they're so goofy looking. Opossums are harmless omnivorous, scavengers, insectivores, and actually serve a purpose. And even better - they don't carry rabies, since their body temperature is too low. Contrary to what some people think they are not rodents but marsupials (they carry their babies in a pouch).
At any rate, I will continue to be concerned for our wildlife especially because I have not seen our squirrels in a few days.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Call 311. Let the City sort it out.

Perhaps warn all your neighbors.
Yes I have. The neighbor on the other side have a pair of Beagles who oftentimes cross over into that yard. I've warned them especially.
You see -- this is yet another reason why I would never allow my cats out of the house.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Yes they are indeed the Baits.
I've called 311 and basically what I found out is that if it's on their property it is legal. Only if they had spread poison on the lawns then they'd have to adhere to the 'Neighbor Notification Law'. It's all very frustrating. We have never seen vermin in our area.
As for oppossums - I actually think they are adorable because they're so goofy looking. Opossums are harmless omnivorous, scavengers, insectivores, and actually serve a purpose. And even better - they don't carry rabies, since their body temperature is too low. Contrary to what some people think they are not rodents but marsupials (they carry their babies in a pouch).
At any rate, I will continue to be concerned for our wildlife especially because I have not seen our squirrels in a few days.
I'd be curious to know why they put baits down when there is no vermin issue. The problem with the baits is if they're putting peanuts or something that's attracting the squirrels, they may trap squirrels. Just no need for bait or poison unless there's an absolute need for it. Good to know about the oppossums. I didn't realize that they don't carry rabies!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'd be curious to know why they put baits down when there is no vermin issue. The problem with the baits is if they're putting peanuts or something that's attracting the squirrels, they may trap squirrels. Just no need for bait or poison unless there's an absolute need for it. Good to know about the oppossums. I didn't realize that they don't carry rabies!
To get people to stop 'crossing over' their property.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
There is a family of squirrels that live in their tree.
Maybe they are trying to get rid of the family of squirrels that live in their tree.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
You have already determined its legal for the owner to do this and it's likely temporary until they move in. Your neighbors need to control their children and pets anyway.

I think that generally the best strategy is to approach your neighbors in person with concerns and at least try to start out the conversation in a friendly way. Perhaps you could suggest a local pest control company as an alternative? Again, since the bait is legal, its pretty much your only option I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City