Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You always repeat this line about how all 'good' cops definitely know about all bad cops.
No. All cops who aren't actively doing wrong know about SOME bad cops. Obviously they don't know about all of them.

Quote:
You seriously don't realize how ridiculous that sounds? Cops, on the whole, don't protect each other anymore and haven't since the Volpe incident.
Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM

107 posts, read 272,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Your mother can't be that dumb.

Nice personal attack, I hope it goes unnoticed as any attacks on me do.

What school did you go to? What degree in law do you hold or what courses have you taken in Criminology?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CRIME PREVENTION. A CRIME IS NOT A CRIME UNTIL A LAW IS BROKEN. And in saying that, once the law is broken the crime is then committed and CANNOT BE PREVENTED....unless you have a time machine.
I received a B.A. in criminal justice and sociology at John Jay, my masters of arts at University of Missouri - St. Louis in criminology, and my MSW at Columbia. I currently work as a crime victim advocate and I used to work in Brooklyn's house of detention. I don't see how any of this is relevant, but there you have it.

There is indeed such a thing as crime prevention. The NYPD has a committee assigned to crime prevention. If you have an individual who has committed a number of crimes, by removing him from the street you have just prevented future crimes that are almost certain to have happened if he were to remain free.

If you went to mug me and I pulled out my cellphone and started giving your physically description to 911 while screaming loudly causing you to run off, guess what? I just prevented a crime from occuring. Crime prevention is simply preventing a crime from occuring. How do you not understand that? Even a basic Google search of CRIME PREVENTION yields 12.5 MILLION HITS, amazing for something that "doesn't exist" don't you think?

Please start with a most likely 3rd grade level overview of what crime prevention is: Crime prevention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Matt00926; 03-14-2012 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Original post was a bit rude

Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
Another key note a lot of people forget:

Ever think that the decline in the type of cops we see is in direct correlation to the fact they were forced to "dumb down" the written exam because it was supposedly discriminatory?

Forget the fact that somehow someone thinks a multiple choice test can be racist. People wanted it "dumbed down" because they were failing, because chances are they didn't study like normal people would, and want things handed to them. "Oh the test is too hard, we can't pass it, it's discrimination!" It's an insult to all of the minorities who DID pass it.

I took the harder version of the NYPD exam when I was 16. I passed with a 92 and I hardly studied. So I have no sympathy for people who can't pass. I can't be a rocket scientist, but I don't call it discrimination.

The same thing is happening now with the NYFD exam. They are now claiming the fireman's exam is discriminatory. So be prepared to see screw ups in that field too soon if this goes through. Where does it all end?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Doesn't it seem like a lot more bad behavior by cops lately?
It depends on your point of view and the neighborhood you live in. So the real difference comparing lately to lets say 30 years ago is now nearly everyone has a digital camera in their phones. Thus we now have video evidence compared to dismissed heresay.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Nice job to everybody on this thread who provided good facts instead of typing just because God gave them a pair of hands.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-15-2012, 05:15 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No. All cops who aren't actively doing wrong know about SOME bad cops. Obviously they don't know about all of them.

Ha!
No interest in addressing the FACT that assumptions based on personal emotions are rarely, if ever, defendable with concrete evidence? You're content in your decision that every cop at least knows of some corruption, and you see no possibility that what you are saying is completely ridiculous, no matter how much you hate cops? Your logic pattern explains a lot about why we are where we are in society today, especially politically.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Police everywhere don't actually "serve and protect" they "harass and interject". Think about it, what other job appeals more to bullies that like to mess with people? Anywhere you go cops are usually people who like abusing their authority.
NYPD's 35,000 officers & detectives have some 25 million interactions with civilians annually, mostly NYC's >8 million residents. That's an average of 3 each. Of course, some are zero, one has hundreds! Inwood Couple Target Of Hundreds Of 911 Prank Calls « CBS New York
When someone calls 911, police have to respond. Generally, there is a genuine reason for the call. When police arrive, they need to assess the situation and take control of it. People involved in a domestic, or who are being drunk & disorderly, don't appreciate the police taking an interest in their situation.
When police are on patrol, they are often assigned to targeted enforcement. Such things as catching turnstile jumpers, emptying parks at night & ticketing speeders, again meet with disapproval from fare-beaters, night crawlers & aggressive drivers. These stops often yield other fruit: active warrants, possession of drugs, suspended drivers, unregistered or uninsured vehicles.
Of course, these nitwits believe that police are harassing them, and interjecting themselves into the lives of the perps.
God forbid that the police be permitted to tell people to pay their fares, stay off the crack and slow the F down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
Try living in England where the cops actually uphold the law and are no napolean complex "Tony Balognas".
Is your access to news reports from Britain blocked?
In the past year, police in the UK have been accused of racial profiling, and abuse of religious & ethnic minorities. There was extensive coverage of riots in cities throughout England, occurring after police shot & killed a suspected robber during a traffic stop. Most recently, many detectives have been accused of taking bribes from tabloids, for information & access. The citizenry learn that police there spend far too much time doing useless, repetitive paperwork, and far too little time actually fighting crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
this is 100% true and a firsthand account from the person that it happened to. ... A friend of mine
There's the official version, the defendant's version, reality. Why should I, or anyone else, believe your friend's self-serving explanation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I jaywalk all the time but I don't expect cars to yield to me in the middle of the road.
However, should one clip you, you'd expect the police to come & issue a ticket to ... the driver!
If they stood there, laughing at you lying in the street, you'd be sooooooo mad.

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-15-2012 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City