Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 PM

25 posts, read 92,888 times

Advertisements

I prefer living alone but i found someone looking for a roomate and id be paying about $300 what id be paying in pelham parkway. LES has better amenities, safety(arguably) and is overall more convenient and rent would be cheaper. The main pro to pelham parkway is that id be leaving alone. I also hear that cost of living in Manhattan is more. Overall which one would be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,013,773 times
Have you been to both areas?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,255,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhipster916 View Post
I prefer living alone but i found someone looking for a roomate and id be paying about $300 what id be paying in pelham parkway. LES has better amenities, safety(arguably) and is overall more convenient and rent would be cheaper. The main pro to pelham parkway is that id be leaving alone. I also hear that cost of living in Manhattan is more. Overall which one would be better?
"More convenient" is a huge understatement.

Also, if you're anything close to a hipster, black or otherwise, you don't want to be in Pelham.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,013,773 times
I'd like to add a second question to the one above. Have you ever been to NYC? I have the sense that you haven't.

If you have never been here, then stop all this excessive online research on neighborhoods. It's ok to do some online research in advance, but at a certain point you just have to make a visit.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 AM

9,238 posts, read 23,970,047 times
If you are thinking about coming to NYC to be a hipster( if that's your main focus) you should definitely live on the LES or Bushwick.

It is a mistake to assume that the LES is safer than Pelham Parkway.Every crime map and crime stat I have ever seen shows differently.The crime rate in the LES precinct is always listed as one of the top 10 highest crime precincts in the city while the Pelham Parkway precinct has pretty much average to slightly below average crime compared to the rest of the city.Matter of fact,Pelham Parkway is a pretty much "average" NYC neighborhood in all respects including demographically.Average neighborhoods are not usually appealing to hipsters.

Your question is almost impossible to answer for anyone on here because we are not you, so everyone will have a different response based on their own feelings.For instance,an above poster says LES being labeled as "more convenient would be a huge understatement". More convenient to who ? It certainly wouldn't be more convenient for me because I work in The Bronx.Are you going to be working or is being a black hipster your main focus ? If you will be working, where will you be working ? You might be surprised to find out that the majority of NY'ers DO NOT work in Manhattan and eventually your work location may be more important than your identity in choosing a living arrangement.

I choose to live alone in Pelham Parkway for a lot of reasons and would never even consider living on the LES under any circumstances but I think a mostly hipster centric person might be happier down on the LES.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-14-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,886,057 times
LES hands down. The bronx is hood for the most part so personally i wouldnt move up there even if its free. But hey thats just me.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,769,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
i wouldnt move up there even if its free. But hey thats just me.
Yeah..it is just you.
There is no place in the Bronx you'd live for free?
Moderator cut: Personal attack
Pelham Pky is a nice area.

Man....the foolish things I read on this site!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,886,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Yeah..it is just you.
There is no place in the Bronx you'd live for free?
Moderator cut: Personal attack
Pelham Pky is a nice area.

Man....the foolish things I read on this site!
I think stoopid is the one who takes everything literally.
I wouldnt live in the bronx because its not my cup of tea. The rest is just hyperbole, Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,370 times
I lived in Pelham Parkway for several years and moved (to the hipster infused Western Bed-Stuy) because Pelham Parkway didn't fit my lifestyle. Pelham Parkway is beautiful, safe, affordable, has good transportation and easy access to pretty much anything you would need. It's a very nice neighborhood but it is not trendy or "hip". It doesn't have bars, quirky clothing stores, rows of "trendy" restaurants, summer concerts in the park...things that I didn't "need" but wanted. If you really are a hipster then you might feel similarly stifled in PP.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,804,888 times
Id live in Pelham Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: