Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
 
12 posts, read 35,218 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have a choice in moving between 180 Van Courtlandt Park South and 75 West 238th street. Which is a better part of the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
9,253 posts, read 24,137,024 times
Reputation: 7769
It's a pretty good neighborhood either way.The 238th st place would probably be quieter but not as convenient to the subway and shopping on Broadway so it might depend on which of those factors is of more value to you.

Aren't these buildings both co ops ? If you are renting you might not have to delve too deeply into all the legal and financial stuff too much to decide but if you are buying all that stuff would be more important than the previously mentioned factors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
 
12 posts, read 35,218 times
Reputation: 10
Actually I am purchasing and would like to know which would be a better location being that they are so close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: New York City
91 posts, read 312,706 times
Reputation: 57
I would go with the one at 180 Van Courtlandt Park South. It is right next to the number 1 train, Van Cortlandt Park is across the street and the 87 highway is just down the block. It would be a little less quieter than the other location but more accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 PM
 
12 posts, read 35,218 times
Reputation: 10
As far as resale value, which one would be the better location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
9,253 posts, read 24,137,024 times
Reputation: 7769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvent View Post
As far as resale value, which one would be the better location?
Since you are buying you have to do your due diligence first to determine the financial and physical health of each of the co ops.You must also become very familiar with the by laws and with the "culture" of the buildings as those will also have a bearing both on your everyday quality of life and on the resale value.Only after you have done that should you start thinking about whether being closer to the subway or closer to the park is better for resale because the other stuff is much more important.

So many questions.Is one building better maintained than the other? Does one have a substantially bigger underlying mortgage ? What percentage of apartments in each building are occupied by owners and not by tenants of the original sponsor or tenants of the owners? What is the resale history of other apartments in the buildings and particularly other apartments in the same lines ?Does the building permit owners to rent their apartments or is there a strict owners only,no rental or very limited rental rules.Does the building permit dogs ? All of these factors and many others will in the end effect your resale value more than the distance to the subway stop.

If all things are equal with the important stuff,which would be a big assumption,I personally would like the 238 st location because I think Sedgwick Ave by the reservoir is more attractive and I wouldn't want to be staring at the el on Broadway every time I went in or out of my building.It looks like some of the apartments in the Van Cortlandt Park South building might actually have views of the el and that the front door of the building is literally right there,which might be a little too close for comfort.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-14-2012 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 05:05 PM
 
12,115 posts, read 33,760,158 times
Reputation: 3869
i think there are 2 sections of W 238th street in that area, and i'm not sure where 75 W. is. I know there is 238th that runs between Ft Independence St and Irwin Ave(by the step street going up to Waldo), and there is a smaller 238th street with a step street off Sedgwick by the reservoir

180 Van Cortlandt park South is at the bottom of the hill and is a noisier, more congested area as the Deegan interchange is right there. There is a higher section of Van Cortlandt Park South up the staircase that leads into W Gun Hill Road after you cross Mosholu Pkwy--that section is quieter and nicer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
 
34,216 posts, read 47,518,938 times
Reputation: 14318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Since you are buying you have to do your due diligence first to determine the financial and physical health of each of the co ops.You must also become very familiar with the by laws and with the "culture" of the buildings as those will also have a bearing both on your everyday quality of life and on the resale value.Only after you have done that should you start thinking about whether being closer to the subway or closer to the park is better for resale because the other stuff is much more important.

So many questions.Is one building better maintained than the other? Does one have a substantially bigger underlying mortgage ? What percentage of apartments in each building are occupied by owners and not by tenants of the original sponsor or tenants of the owners? What is the resale history of other apartments in the buildings and particularly other apartments in the same lines ?Does the building permit owners to rent their apartments or is there a strict owners only,no rental or very limited rental rules.Does the building permit dogs ? All of these factors and many others will in the end effect your resale value more than the distance to the subway stop.

If all things are equal with the important stuff,which would be a big assumption,I personally would like the 238 st location because I think Sedgwick Ave by the reservoir is more attractive and I wouldn't want to be staring at the el on Broadway every time I went in or out of my building.It looks like some of the apartments in the Van Cortlandt Park South building might actually have views of the el and that the front door of the building is literally right there,which might be a little too close for comfort.
I dont get why people buy homes with the intent to re-sell.....isn't the purpose of buying a home is to make it home?
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 PM
 
1,418 posts, read 2,553,685 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I dont get why people buy homes with the intent to re-sell.....isn't the purpose of buying a home is to make it home?

It depends after a while, some folks like to move to a better home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
 
12 posts, read 21,106 times
Reputation: 12
Not sure if you already made your choice but I live in the area and also recommend 180 Van Cort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top