Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

because that area of the bronx is so hilly the streets end in a dead end and is continued by steps up the hill, then the street continues at the top of the hill. i think one's on e 176 and anthony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 07:35 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I witnessed that when I was going on this one interview. I couldn't find where this one road continued, because on the map it continued. I saw stairs to a park and I got really confused. 20 minutes later (and like 10 minutes late for my interview), I walked up through the park and realized the road continued. The Bronx can be very confusing with the way they lay out their streets. I ended up getting to my interview so late because I didn't know about this.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
yes especially in the west bronx with those step streets. there is a point where the numbers suddenly change and it can get really confusing. you can be riding down sedgwick ave in the n bronx, passing giles place and ft independence st, there is w 231 street and the next block is 197th street, makes no sense and is plain confusing

Old 09-18-2007, 09:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
I think you will be fine Rachel as every is aware that a young, white female is a teacher and nobody will bother you. You will find that the reputation of the Bronx is otudated. The area i not perfect, however it is vastly improved from even 10 years ago. You will find that people are for the most part friendly and accomodating....I suspect you will be presently surprised....although the area visibly isn't in the best shape...you will have no problem. Just using normal precuations will keep you fine...and you will enjoy working with the kids....enjoy your time.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I think you will be fine Rachel as every is aware that a young, white female is a teacher and nobody will bother you. You will find that the reputation of the Bronx is otudated. The area i not perfect, however it is vastly improved from even 10 years ago. You will find that people are for the most part friendly and accomodating....I suspect you will be presently surprised....although the area visibly isn't in the best shape...you will have no problem. Just using normal precuations will keep you fine...and you will enjoy working with the kids....enjoy your time.
What is so outdated about getting mugged on a stair street off Walton Ave in the South Bronx? Happends all the time.

I also recall back when the Bronx was at it's crime peaks usually no one would bother White teachers walking to schools to teach (they are pretty obvious, you would see them early in the AM holding bags coming from the train walking in the direction of a school and in the afternoon on the way back). Why? You get no points on the street for that. Now if that teacher wanders into unfamiliar territory she might get taken as easy prey. A purse or phone snatch being the most common threat.

Not much has changed. That particular area is especially plagued with crime. It's better to go from point A to point B, not to wonder around. It's also smart to keep valueables out of sight.

BTW Rachael84, if your school is located on Walton Ave and E 170th Street that is not the Highbridge area. Highbridge is west of Jerome Ave, south of the Cross Bronx Expressway.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
rachel please read other posts from Hustla before accepting his opinion as "fact." You will find his view of most areas of the city, especially the Bronx, as a crime-ridden, over-priced, violent cess pool. I too am from the inner city of the Bronx, and normal precautions will suffice. If you intend on hanging out at the local Bodega until 3am with the homies in a halter top and mini skirt, then I would say you may want to rethink your actions. However, as a teacher and traveling normal routes, I maintain the utmost confidence that you will be just fine..and in fact, you will be pleasantly surprised. You will enjoy your time with the kids...

Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Quote:
If you intend on hanging out at the local Bodega until 3am with the homies in a halter top and mini skirt, then I would say you may want to rethink your actions.
LOL--good one, Guy...

Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
BTW Rachael84, if your school is located on Walton Ave and E 170th Street that is not the Highbridge area. Highbridge is west of Jerome Ave, south of the Cross Bronx Expressway.

The school is on the corner of 170th st and Walton Ave. What area is that considered then? Is this better or worse than where High bridge is? The school's review on insideschools.org says High bridge; though they're not always right if a school is on the border of 2 areas.

By the way, I swear some of these students that I have were raised by wild wolves..lol. But for the most part, the parents are concerned about how their kids are doing. But only 3 parents coming to meet the teacher day, out of a class of 15, is pathetic and a shame.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Yes, pathetic and a shame indeed.

But 15 students...sounds like a reasonably sized class?

Old 09-22-2007, 04:40 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
rachel please read other posts from Hustla before accepting his opinion as "fact." You will find his view of most areas of the city, especially the Bronx, as a crime-ridden, over-priced, violent cess pool. I too am from the inner city of the Bronx, and normal precautions will suffice. If you intend on hanging out at the local Bodega until 3am with the homies in a halter top and mini skirt, then I would say you may want to rethink your actions. However, as a teacher and traveling normal routes, I maintain the utmost confidence that you will be just fine..and in fact, you will be pleasantly surprised. You will enjoy your time with the kids...
She has been on this forum longer then you have. She has had many more discussions with me on here then you have. You act like she doesn't need to have a care in the world. Typical victim mentality.

The risk is very real. That neighborhood is very robbery prone. If she uses the precautions I have suggested to her in the past she can lower her risk of being victimized. It is unfortunate but that neighborhood IS crime ridden. Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The school is on the corner of 170th st and Walton Ave. What area is that considered then? Is this better or worse than where High bridge is? The school's review on insideschools.org says High bridge; though they're not always right if a school is on the border of 2 areas.

By the way, I swear some of these students that I have were raised by wild wolves..lol. But for the most part, the parents are concerned about how their kids are doing. But only 3 parents coming to meet the teacher day, out of a class of 15, is pathetic and a shame.
Highbridge is west of Jerome Ave. The school has it listed wrong. That neighborhood is hard to classify. Technically it goes by the name "Concourse", but no one calls it that.

As for the kids, get used to it. Parental support is lacking and that is why you need to be there for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City