Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Yes, pathetic and a shame indeed.

But 15 students...sounds like a reasonably sized class?

No, I'm lucky to have 15 kids at the moment. They always take kids in and out of my room like crazy. It makes it difficult to keep up with my class list and knowing these kids' names. She said I will have up to 20. The other classes have around 25, which is the highest it can be in the city. I was hired because extra kids registered and they needed to open up a new class since almost every K class had like 26, which is technically illegal to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 11:29 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Hustla..no where did I say or suggest that she not have a care in the world. What I did say is that normal precautions would suffice since she is a teacher traveling normal routes..and I stand by that statement.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 PM

What about parent-teacher conferences in November? I may be leaving the area by like 7pm. Most teachers in the school drive. Any advice? I'd be taking the 4 down to 59th st and changing to the R to Queens.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
Could someone give you a lift? Though I've never found the 4 to be unsafe in the evening.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:57 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Rachel I sincerely believe that even at 7pm you will be fine. You will not be the onyl teacher taking the train at that time, and that is still rush hour, so commuters are still coming and going. You will note that the people, kids, etc are actualy quite friendly...some may come across as "hard" or "intimidating"..but for the most part....they will treat you just fine. Take it from someone who knows!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,883 times
I agree. Most of the kids only ride en masse after 3 pm when school lets out, and though they may be loud, they are generally just "high spirited" rather than threatening--joking around with each other, etc. Though I haven't been on the train often enough when school lets out to say that with complete authority.

But at 7 pm, it'll just be the regular commuters/passengers, and they mind their own business, no problem.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:59 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What about parent-teacher conferences in November? I may be leaving the area by like 7pm. Most teachers in the school drive. Any advice? I'd be taking the 4 down to 59th st and changing to the R to Queens.
Just try to avoid late night trips on the subway when possible.

The area your school is located a is robbery hot spot. Stickups, snatches, ect are pretty common. The best thing you can do is leave the iPod/cell phone in the bag. Day or night. Not only will this reduce your chances of getting mugged, but you will be aware and reduce your likelyhood of getting wacked by a cab beating a light (Or an unmarked Impala).

At night you are going to want to walk strait to the station. E 170th is a major street so use that road if possible. The side streets are definately problematic, especially at night when the youth are just hanging out on stoops/corners bored. Usually drunk and high.

Just walk from point A to B and you should really minimize your chances.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:24 PM

That's what I do when I get out of the school. I walk about a minute on Walton ave, then turn right on 170th st and walk a block to the train. I really don't do much walking in the area.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 PM

9 posts, read 19,760 times
Default this place is a hell pit

I just moved here and I'm hispanic and I'm so ashamed these people even exist. The first day I moved here my Yorkie was stolen, he's considered the small size yorkie so you know in this HELL HOLE they are breeding him with some other yorkie by now to make $$

I hate this place, it's scare full of delinquents and I wish I never laid my eyes on this apartment. Hopefully, I'll make it out alive soon enough

Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 19,760 times
PS:
they probably call this place highbridge because after living here you want to find a very very very HIGH BRIDGE to jump off of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City