Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 AM

314 posts, read 492,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
But honestly, I'd think twice about living in New York if I wasn't making at least $200,000 a year. It's quite expensive.
i'm not picking on you, SL, but i see this crap claim all the time. what are you people talking about with this, "you can't make it here unless you make 200K/year?" starting salary at the top 100 law firms in the city is 160K/year. starting salary for an analysit at a top 10 investment bank is 70K/year + bonus. at that level, bonus rarely (if ever) exceeds the annual salary. so, figure around 150K/year for the absolute best junior analyst at goldman sachs.

you all are trying to make it sound like those people starve. quite the opposite. the attorney takes home about 8K/month. if you don't mind a roommate, there are fantastic digs all over the island for 2K/month/person. if you can't put up with a roommate, you can find a very nice 1-bdrm. for 2.6K/month just about anywhere in manhattan. even if you save 1/4 of your take home (which unfortunately many in their late 20's/early 30's don't), that's over 3.4K/month. that's plenty of money to play with.

i would agree that 200K/year is probably insufficient for a family of 3 to live on in manhattan. but, that's not the case here. you all know me...i'm no fan of outsiders moving here and causing all the damage that they do. but, stop making it out to be worse than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
for 200K a year (single person) you can live very comfortable in manhattan in my opinion
thats roughly 10 grand a month after taxes
in the outer boros u can live like a king

Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM

20 posts, read 95,940 times
RU MAD WOMAN? UVE GOT IT MADE ACROSS FROM THE PARK IN COLUMBIA U TERRITORY. JUST ENJOY IT AND GET TO KNOW THE ENVIRONMENT ALL THE BAD NEIGHBORHOODS TURN GOOD AFTER A WHILE DUE TO THE HOUSING CRUNCH IN NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
[SIZE=3]Okay. I am 27, female, and I have just moved to the city three weeks ago. I am getting a graduate degree at Columbia, and prior to moving here I met with several real-estate agents and professors about where to live. I found the apartment I now reside in through the Columbia housing department. I am living on w110th street, central park north facing the park. According to many of you on this forum I am in a really bad part of town. Many students at Columbia live in Harlem, and I was told over and over again that where I am is an okay place to live. After sifting through this forum for several hours today, I am now scared sh&%less, and I am thinking about moving, or better yet leaving the city to go back to where I came from. Was everyone that I met with about where to live here crazy?[/SIZE]

Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcatpeace View Post
RU MAD WOMAN? UVE GOT IT MADE ACROSS FROM THE PARK IN COLUMBIA U TERRITORY. JUST ENJOY IT AND GET TO KNOW THE ENVIRONMENT ALL THE BAD NEIGHBORHOODS TURN GOOD AFTER A WHILE DUE TO THE HOUSING CRUNCH IN NYC.

lol......This is really old, I am well adapted to my neighborhood now which is rapidly changing block by block, thanks for the really late advice though this thread is very old lol...

This forum very much freaked me out when i first moved here, along with being yelled at more than once that I needed to "get my white ass out of Harlem", and harrassed when I went to go to the
liquor store and grocery store on 112th and lenox or further up lenox. It is amazing how quickly things are changing.

For example: when I first moved in my building I was one of maybe 3-5 white people, now the building is at least 50% white maybe more and I have not even been here 2 years yet.

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 10-07-2008 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times
And let me add, that if anyone is interested I have been told there are some good apartment deals on central park north on the other side of lenox, b/t lenox and 5th, like 1200 for a one bedroom. You would be right next to the prison, but that shouldnt matter, I walk by it all the time, no problems and central park is right there!!

Last edited by Rudbeckia; 10-07-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City