Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,555 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I recently moved to inwood manhattan about a yr ago from pelham so im not a transplant!

I work for a company on chambers street, easy hours 9-5 etc etc. Recently there has been an increase desire for overtime help, which means working til 12am or so.

My question is how is the A train at 12am or later? I have never ridden on it at those times so I'm very unfamiliar. Is it a shady, local, tedious ride to 207st? Or is it a fairly busy, somewhat fast ride?

Any advice or experiences would be helpful thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM

62 posts, read 187,448 times
There is no express service around that time until about 5 or 6 am. The (A) runs local. Other than that, that's all I know as I've never ridden the (A) in that section pass 12.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
It will probably be a long ride, but I think it's farely safe, as so many people are on the trains at that time. The bigger concern is how far you live from the train station and whether it's very busy at that time of night. You do not want to be walking alone at 1 am in my opinion.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,555 times
I live only 1/2 block from train so not too worried about that just the train ride! I figured it would run local just don't know what kind of characters will be appearing at those times. But as long as i'm not the only one on the train with a bunch of hoods then I'm not toooo worried

Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfamiliarWoman View Post
I live only 1/2 block from train so not too worried about that just the train ride! I figured it would run local just don't know what kind of characters will be appearing at those times. But as long as i'm not the only one on the train with a bunch of hoods then I'm not toooo worried
Then I would suggest taking the train ride that hour with a friend some night to see how it feels. Observation is key, and it goes with out saying that when you exit the train, be alert, have your keys out and don't stand with your back to the door when you enter your building. Stand with your side facing the door and look behind you right before putting the keys in the door. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
There is no way to really answer this question. At any given time on any given night you may be in a car with anyone -- homeless people, Orthodox Jewish teenagers, Domincan mothers with their babies, hipsters returning to their uptown apartments, shift workers going home, whatever. There are no guarantees that you won't see "shady characters" You're from here. I'm surprised you don't already know that that sort of a guarantee is an illusion.

If you're worried about your safety, just make sure you sit in the conductor's car, where things are least likly to get out of control --if they ever do. Frankly, I have been riding the A train for years, have seen all types late at night, but I've never seen a crime being committed. YMMV.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,065 times
Safety wise it's fine. Unless you're going to Brownsville or East New York, you're fine on the subway (very over-generalised), but I second the conductor car suggestion if you're worried.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:55 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,381 times
You should be relatively safe, there are a number of people in the city who work a 4-12 shift and would be on the trains at that hour.

I've rode the trains at all hours, and this was when crime was far worse than it is now. You should be okay as long as you're aware of your surroundings.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfamiliarWoman View Post
I was a conductor for five and a half years--and I worked quite a few times on the A train. It's rarely as bad as people like to say it is. Will you run into characters? Probably. But you can cut down on the potential adventures quite a bit by taking one simple precaution: ride in the conductor's car! (That'll be the fifth one back from the front of the train.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City