Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times

Advertisements

Are there many places selling condos in NYC?

I wanted to buy a one bedroom apartment in a decent area but I have NO idea how much those go for.

I know rent is high but for a 1 bedroom apt, how much do they run? 200-500k?

Anyone have any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
What borough? What neighborhood? $200k-$500k is not going to happen. Unless it is a shoebox in a bad building or bad neighborhood.

Buying is expensive. Closing costs in NYC are very, very high. If the price looks good then look at maintenance costs. Some are more than what you would pay in rent.

Buying should also be a long-term decision. If you're going to sell again within a couple years, it's not worth it.

From your $200-500k guess of prices, I'm going to go out on a limb that you're not from here. Do you currently live or work in NYC?

Consider neighborhood, cost,

Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
you can get someth for 300-400 in outer boroughs

Old 03-21-2012, 02:24 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
What borough? What neighborhood? $200k-$500k is not going to happen. Unless it is a shoebox in a bad building or bad neighborhood.

Buying is expensive. Closing costs in NYC are very, very high. If the price looks good then look at maintenance costs. Some are more than what you would pay in rent.

Buying should also be a long-term decision. If you're going to sell again within a couple years, it's not worth it.

From your $200-500k guess of prices, I'm going to go out on a limb that you're not from here. Do you currently live or work in NYC?

Consider neighborhood, cost,

You can easily get a +900sqf 1br apartment in Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Sunnyside, Astoria, Bay Ridge, Kenigston and many other parts of the city with 500k. And none of those are bad neighborhoods.

You can even get a 2Br if you do your homework.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM

106 posts, read 353,001 times
If you are serious about buying. Find yourself a broker, he will do the homework for you and answer all of your questions to help you navigate the NYC real estate world. The seller pays the buyer's broker anyway, which is no cost to you.

Even if you're not seriously buying. I'm sure they will answer your questions in good faith.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,722 times
You should really do some research if you're serious about buying a place since it seems you have no idea what places go for. A "decent" area means many different things to many different people.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You can easily get a +900sqf 1br apartment in Kew Gardens, Forest Hills, Sunnyside, Astoria, Bay Ridge, Kenigston and many other parts of the city with 500k. And none of those are bad neighborhoods.

You can even get a 2Br if you do your homework.

Yes definitely you can. I live in Briarwood/Kew Gardens and know the prices here well.

But I assumed OP is asking about Manhattan. That's why I asked to clarify the borough. Adding in the maintenance/closing it becomes much more expensive. I've been looking! Though for more than 900 sq feet.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:45 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
You're asking about a condo and not a co-op, correct? Most of the condos I have come across are new(er) construction. You're really not going to find much at the $200K range and this is including in the more "sketchy" neighborhoods. At the $500K point you'll find new construction condos in Harlem, lots in East Harlem specifically. You'd be able to find a 1 bedroom in Harlem at that price and probably some two bedrooms too. If Harlem is not your cup of tea, most (if not all) places south of Harlem that are indeed condos (not co-ops) will be studios below that $500K price point-- and the're are probably not that many. In Brooklyn there are a lot of new construction condos. You still would be hard pressed to find anything around $200K but there would be enough options in the range of $400-$500K- from studios to 2 bd rooms depending on the neighborhood. Also, keep in mind that with new construction, your closing costs would be 5% of the price (unless you can negotiate some of that cost). You might want to use streeteasy.com to start your search.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You're asking about a condo and not a co-op, correct? Most of the condos I have come across are new(er) construction. You're really not going to find much at the $200K range and this is including in the more "sketchy" neighborhoods. At the $500K point you'll find new construction condos in Harlem, lots in East Harlem specifically. You'd be able to find a 1 bedroom in Harlem at that price and probably some two bedrooms too. If Harlem is not your cup of tea, most (if not all) places south of Harlem that are indeed condos (not co-ops) will be studios below that $500K price point-- and the're are probably not that many. In Brooklyn there are a lot of new construction condos. You still would be hard pressed to find anything around $200K but there would be enough options in the range of $400-$500K- from studios to 2 bd rooms depending on the neighborhood. Also, keep in mind that with new construction, your closing costs would be 5% of the price (unless you can negotiate some of that cost). You might want to use streeteasy.com to start your search.
How about da BX?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
How about da BX?
Oh well that's where you'd get the most bang for you buck for sure. Parkchester is a condo complex (and a big one). I looked at Parckchester a few years ago and didn't really like the layout of the apartments. The kitchens are too cramped for my taste. Other than that, the complex seems well run and has good amenities.

I just did a quick search on streeteasy and looks like there are also a lot of of condos under $500K in and around Riverdale. Other than those two areas, Parkchester & Riverdale, there doesn't seem to be much of a condo market in the BX, it's mostly co-ops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City