Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
This event points out the danger of what some people think is a 'legitamate concern' - stereotyping. How many times has someone asked "is this neighborhood safe for a white person" on this forum? The risk of crime is so often exaggerated in non-white areas. From what I understand, Zimmerman also muttered a racial slur prior to confronting the teenager. This was absolutely a hate crime.
For someone to observe a kid who appeared to be leering at houses, "walking slowly" and perhaps on drugs in an area that has had mutiple homes broken into--is a "legitimate concern." Some like to pretend as if he had of been wearing a suit, tie and carrying a briefcase, then he would have been "profiled." Highly unlikely. But it's important to know the facts first.

That being said, if crime were problem in my neighborhood, I would hope that someone would call the police if they observed suspicious behavior, rather than to take the matter into their own hands like Zimmerman had.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:53 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Trayvon Martin Final Moments Captured During Phone Call With Teenage Girl

"He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man," the girl told ABC News. "I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run."

So this kid decided to put his hoody on to hide from the security dude. LOL

Why didn't he just talk to security dude? Why put on a hoody to cover your face and walk fast? i am assuming the security was wearing a uniform so it would be obvious that he was a cop or a security guy. If this was a gated community which he frequented?? He should be familiar that this community has a private security team. Why was he at the gated community??
He wasn't an official security person. Just some crazy guy with a gun. You need to read up a little more on this...

Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Unfortunately. This incident had nothing to do with New York City at all.
But when people protest here it gets much more exposure. Again, international city....

Old 03-22-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
For someone to observe a kid who appeared to be leering at houses, "walking slowly" and perhaps on drugs in an area that has had mutiple homes broken into--is a "legitimate concern." Some like to pretend as if he had of been wearing a suit, tie and carrying a briefcase, then he would have been "profiled." Highly unlikely. But it's important to know the facts first.

That being said, if crime were problem in my neighborhood, I would hope that someone would call the police if they observed suspicious behavior, rather than to take the matter into their own hands like Zimmerman had.
Kids do this in the burbs all the time. They take a walk around or ride their bike around a neighborhood. I don't see why he would be considered "suspicious" unless he was stereotyped because of his race.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Kids do this in the burbs all the time. They take a walk around or ride their bike around a neighborhood. I don't see why he would be considered "suspicious" unless he was stereotyped because of his race.
Again, let's not make anything up. He wasn't riding a bike, and he wasn't just walking--according to Zimmerman. He suspected the kid was up to no good because he was standing there looking at houses, and appeared to be "on drugs or something." Zimmerman reported that there was a rash of break-ins in the neighborhood. Another neighbor substantiated this as a concern of the community. Zimmerman's assessment was simply wrong in this matter, the kid wasn't doing anything wrong. He was actually very innocent. However, I fault Zimmerman for his approach to the matter after he called the police, not because he called them. The fact that he called them was just fine as far as I can tell.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Why should we believe Zimmerman? He is one man and his account doesn't jive with the accounts of witnesses and neighbors. According to many reports Ive read none of the neighbors even wanted him to do neighborhood watch.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why should we believe Zimmerman? He is one man and his account doesn't jive with the accounts of witnesses and neighbors. According to many reports Ive read none of the neighbors even wanted him to do neighborhood watch.
I'm going by the 911 call that he made about his suspicion. Also I've read the same articles that you have, in addition, I read one where neighbors have commended him for his actions on reporting crimes and helping to solve them--black neighbors included.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Again, let's not make anything up. He wasn't riding a bike, and he wasn't just walking--according to Zimmerman. He suspected the kid was up to no good because he was standing there looking at houses, and appeared to be "on drugs or something." Zimmerman reported that there was a rash of break-ins in the neighborhood. Another neighbor substantiated this as a concern of the community. Zimmerman's assessment was simply wrong in this matter, the kid wasn't doing anything wrong. He was actually very innocent. However, I fault Zimmerman for his approach to the matter after he called the police, not because he called them. The fact that he called them was just fine as far as I can tell.
Who's making stuff up!

I notice that you tell us what the kid was doing, and then add "according to Zimmerman" as if that guy is going to tell the truth in this situation.

Do you realize Zimmerman had made 46 calls to 911 in the past few years? They were for things like noticed "open garage door" and "two black males driving a Chevy Impala inside the gate of the community" -- call was made because Zimmerman doesn't recognize them or the vehicle. Another was to report an 8 year old kid for acting suspicious.

This guy was a wannabe cop with nothing to do but spy on people, and apparently shoot them.

46 Calls - The Daily Beast

Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 PM

I get what your saying but in the end its besides the point. Maybe he really was suspicious(which I doubt btw, across america right now there are kids right now walking around the burbs aimlessly and probably with hoodies on) but it doesn't at all justify what Zimmerman did.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I agree. Its a stupid protest that glorifies the stereotype of black people looking like thugs with hoodies on. So instead of looking less intiminating by dressing in a clean cut fashion, the want to justify that wearing a baggy hoody is ok.

I agree 100%. I've always said, blacks in America have a serious public relations and image problem. This does not help it.

As a black American, I often times get embarrassed by some of the idiotic ways in which blacks respond to certain things.

Asian and Jewish people, for years have delt with many of the issues blacks have delt with but blacks are the only group out of the 3 that still can't "get it together".

Million Hoodie March.............what a disgrace and bad joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: