Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 PM

87 posts, read 236,210 times

Advertisements

Contracts, signing a lease, etc. may seem nice and it is, but one thing people have to remember is this is only as good as the person giving it to you - so you're pretty much screwed if the person is a loser. But, how do you tell? You don't really. There are some ways but i've been taken for deposits, been kicked out on the street with zero days noticed just for the fact that my "landlord" was a thief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityinfonow View Post
Contracts, signing a lease, etc. may seem nice and it is, but one thing people have to remember is this is only as good as the person giving it to you - so you're pretty much screwed if the person is a loser. But, how do you tell? You don't really. There are some ways but i've been taken for deposits, been kicked out on the street with zero days noticed just for the fact that my "landlord" was a thief.
Usually the upkeep of an apartment building is indicative of the landlord's personality. That will tell you if you are dealing with a half-ass LL or a passionate one that's detail oriented and cares about his property.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:05 PM

87 posts, read 236,210 times
i'm speaking more about locations that don't even have real landlords...people who print off lease agreements from the internet only when theyre asked to.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,034 times
Good thread. I have to keep this stuff in mind when I start looking for an apt.

I just saw a listing on naked apartments for a 1bdrm and they only showed two pics of the kitchen.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
So since I am looking again, I was relieved to remember the virtues of the local paper. You know, things like the Bay News or the Canarsie Courier. These had mostly listings by owner and a few realties, and these were far cheaper than some of the listings I found online.

So there is hope after all.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This might come as a surprise to the Internet Saturated Generation, but once upon a time, if you were serious about apartment hunting in New York, you waited until Sunday, read through the real estate listings in the New York Times, and then you hit the streets.

Hey, here's a wild, wacky sort of idea: imagine if people started doing that again!

Or Wednesday's edition of the VILLAGE VOICE...before Murdoch bought it and ruined it.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM

171 posts, read 305,217 times
yup thats what we used to do, very first thing wednesday morning..as early as possible.
get yourself planted somewhere with a phone and start setting up appointments, always found a place that same day!!!
ah the good old days of print media

Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times
I am now suspicious of ads that use a Google voice number.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Is there any city on the planet that involves as much hassle in finding and keeping a place to live as New York?

I smile when I think about that Seinfeld episode where an old woman died and the onln topic at her wake was "Who's going to get her rent-controlled apartment?"

Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Checking apartments for this city seems to be unlike anything else. Not just apartments but roommate situations as well.

1. For instance, 90% of the Craigslist listings seem to be scams. I notice this more of the ones who only ask you to email. The ones with a phone number are more likely to be a broker (even if the apt was listed under "by owner") or it's the actual owner. When you do email, you invariably get the Nigerian scam email, stating they are overseas, but will ask a million questions.

2. The other issue: made up neighborhoods or claiming the apt is in one area when really it's not. I love when they claim it's in Williamsburg, but it's really in Bed Stuy. Or say it's in Harlem, but it's really more Washington Heights. Or even worse when they just make areas that don't even exist like "State Gardens" which was really East NY.

3. Another gripe with the Craigslist listings, are the brokers post everywhere regardless of what category it is. I flag them every chance I get. Or the roommate seekers who also post under "Apts by Owner". You're renting, you're not the owner and you're offering a room, not an apartment.

4. People who will rent out anything to make extra money. I'm not talking the standard bedroom to rent, that's normal. I'm talking when they decide the make the living room into rental space. A lot of people are doing this. A telltale sign of this is when you see "kitchen and bathroom shared", that means someone is sleeping in the living room. Or even worse when they convert what used to be a walk in closet, or maybe a small room barely big enough for a bed to rent. Attic and basement apartments fall into this category as well.

5. Apartment listings that refuse to show pictures of the bedroom or the living room, or even worse, only post a picture of the outside or kitchen or bathroom. If you are avoiding showing these things, it makes me wonder what kind of wreck it is that you're not posting a picture.

6. On that note, people that post pictures where it shows a mess. Maybe the current tenant is a slob, but if that's the case, at least ask them to clean up before taking photos. No one wants to see dirty underwear on the couch and bags all over the bed.

7. Anyone not willing to take a check or put something in writing. If you can't even give me a receipt for a deposit, or want to sign anything, I am going to automatically assume you are shady and will not want to do business with you.

8. Bait and switch. They advertise what seems to be the perfect apartment, but when you get there, it has mysteriously "just been rented out" and you are asked if you are willing to see a different place, usually much smaller, and less attractive.

Feel free to add to the list. I've been searching for someone, and some of it came to mind when I was looking a while back.
True indeed. Renting couches even is not unheard of. Or the ad for females to "live rent free" with "light housework"..Yeah, Ok dude!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City