Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,958 times

Advertisements

Checking apartments for this city seems to be unlike anything else. Not just apartments but roommate situations as well.

1. For instance, 90% of the Craigslist listings seem to be scams. I notice this more of the ones who only ask you to email. The ones with a phone number are more likely to be a broker (even if the apt was listed under "by owner") or it's the actual owner. When you do email, you invariably get the Nigerian scam email, stating they are overseas, but will ask a million questions.

2. The other issue: made up neighborhoods or claiming the apt is in one area when really it's not. I love when they claim it's in Williamsburg, but it's really in Bed Stuy. Or say it's in Harlem, but it's really more Washington Heights. Or even worse when they just make areas that don't even exist like "State Gardens" which was really East NY.

3. Another gripe with the Craigslist listings, are the brokers post everywhere regardless of what category it is. I flag them every chance I get. Or the roommate seekers who also post under "Apts by Owner". You're renting, you're not the owner and you're offering a room, not an apartment.

4. People who will rent out anything to make extra money. I'm not talking the standard bedroom to rent, that's normal. I'm talking when they decide the make the living room into rental space. A lot of people are doing this. A telltale sign of this is when you see "kitchen and bathroom shared", that means someone is sleeping in the living room. Or even worse when they convert what used to be a walk in closet, or maybe a small room barely big enough for a bed to rent. Attic and basement apartments fall into this category as well.

5. Apartment listings that refuse to show pictures of the bedroom or the living room, or even worse, only post a picture of the outside or kitchen or bathroom. If you are avoiding showing these things, it makes me wonder what kind of wreck it is that you're not posting a picture.

6. On that note, people that post pictures where it shows a mess. Maybe the current tenant is a slob, but if that's the case, at least ask them to clean up before taking photos. No one wants to see dirty underwear on the couch and bags all over the bed.

7. Anyone not willing to take a check or put something in writing. If you can't even give me a receipt for a deposit, or want to sign anything, I am going to automatically assume you are shady and will not want to do business with you.

8. Bait and switch. They advertise what seems to be the perfect apartment, but when you get there, it has mysteriously "just been rented out" and you are asked if you are willing to see a different place, usually much smaller, and less attractive.

Feel free to add to the list. I've been searching for someone, and some of it came to mind when I was looking a while back.

Last edited by Miss J 74; 03-21-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Add bait and switch. I think that's fairly common.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
I agree with you 100% especially the disasters...I cringe every time I see them. How can anyone think that's ok? Ugh.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Add bait and switch. I think that's fairly common.
Added

Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM

180 posts, read 335,288 times
I hate it when the ad has a picture of a cute girl as the broker.. and when you show up thinking you'll be meeting her, it's some cheeseball in a cheap suit and beat up penny loafers.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
I hate it when the ad has a picture of a cute girl as the broker.. and when you show up thinking you'll be meeting her, it's some cheeseball in a cheap suit and beat up penny loafers.
Foreal lol Talk about false advetising

Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,292 times
spacious studio apartment (http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/2909214564.html - broken link)

I didn't know East NY is a "quiet and convenient neighborhood" Also isn't the street parking available everywhere? Why put it like it's a special perk

Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
spacious studio apartment (http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/2909214564.html - broken link)

I didn't know East NY is a "quiet and convenient neighborhood" Also isn't the street parking available everywhere? Why put it like it's a special perk
Convenient to what?

The only thing it could be considered convenient to is JFK.

And quiet? That's a laugh.

Surprising East NY apartment rents are catching up to the rest of Brooklyn.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post

That ad looks like it was placed by the owner looking to rent out the space. If I was a broker/agent, I'd use my real name and not the annonyomous craigslist email.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:24 AM

510 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Good list. I agree that Craigslist is borderline useless these days since it's so cluttered with useless relistings of the same apartments and broker ads. NakedApartments is an aggregator site that seems to do a good job of sifting through the bogus listings. It's definitely worth checking out for those who are apartment hunting.

NYC Apartments: Thousands of Apartment Rentals, Including No-Fee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City