U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,820 times

Advertisements

Can you guys recommend some somewhat affordable (at least by NY standards), yet safe areas to look for an apartment? So far we have been told to look at bay ridge and I wanted to get some more input before we go there and take a look for ourselves, we are coming from Connecticut. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 03:13 PM

435 posts, read 1,467,006 times
Bay Ridge
Bensonhurst
Borough Park (not west of 11th Ave thou)
Midwood
Sheepshead Bay

Basically, anywhere in the more southern part of the borough west of Flatbush. I'm not assuming you have money, but if you do, Park Slope/Carrol Gardens is to die for and great for families

Also, Look into these Queens areas:

Forest Hills
Middle Village
Glendale
Whitestone
Bayside
Fresh Meadows
Oakland Gardens (not too many people know about this one)
Astoria (Above 30th Ave)

All of these areas have very low crime (suburb like), and Queens especally has good schools. Subway service is more extensive in Brooklyn's nice areas but Most all buses and trains run 24/7 so you're always accessable even if your in the bus-to-subway territory. look into the Catholic school system once the kiddies reach JHS, or try to get them into one of the good schools.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:05 PM

124 posts, read 416,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Bay Ridge
Bensonhurst
Borough Park (not west of 11th Ave thou)
Midwood
Sheepshead Bay
Definately Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst.

Strike Boro Park from that list. I grew up there, and lived there most of my life. It's dirty, crowded, smelly, and your children will have no one to play with because the Hasidic children will treat them like lepers.

Sheepshead Bay is ok. Parts of it are nice, but last time I was there (E 27th and Shore Parkway) it looked a little run-down and shabby.

Most of Midwood is ok.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:20 PM

191 posts, read 866,240 times
depending on work, you can also look into
gerritson beach
mill basin
marine park

these are expensive areas to buy houses, but alot of these people rent out apartments in a 2 family house at a fair price. Also, since the neighborhoods are not near any train lines, they tend to be nicer than most. if you work in the city, you prolly dont want to live in these areas.. you'd have to take a bus/car to the train

Theres also sunset park, which is up and coming, relatively safe, but its very mexican/latino.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 PM

6 posts, read 18,497 times
A Few Decent Places In Bklyn
Park Slope( Kinda Expensive)
Sheepshead Bay
Bayridge
Marine Park
Canarsie
Mill Basin(expensive)
It All Depends On What U Want To Pay

Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,465,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B 718 View Post
Theres also sunset park, which is up and coming, relatively safe, but its very mexican/latino.
The last time I was in Sunset Park it was pretty rough looking. Old run down multifamily rowhouses and some buildings with Mexicans and PR's hanging out front. RIP murals. A huge abandoned building on one of the main strips. A couple more scattered around. Couple lots, not too many but they were full of trash and cars.

The neighborhood looked rough, a shady area at night for sure. Sunset Park has always surprised me, such an isolated pocket of poverty in Brooklyn South. It really stands out considering Bay Ridge is so close. I wouldn't recommend it for someone with kids.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:47 PM

81 posts, read 398,481 times
As others have said, Park Slope is fantastic for families. If that's too pricey, I'd like recommend Windsor Terrace (where I live), which is the neighborhood right next to Park Slope: it's slightly more affordable (because it's not Park Slope itself), but you walk just a few blocks and you're in Park Slope. It's a quieter, more residential neighborhood with a great elementary school and a nice "community" feel. Windsor Terrace also borders Prospect Park, just as Park Slope does.

More affordable still is Kensington, the NEXT neighborhood after Windsor Terrace. That's, again, more residential, but still in close proximity to Park Slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City