Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 AM

220 posts, read 475,400 times

Advertisements

On this forum, we see a lot of younger folks(under 40) that want to move to NYC.

I was just curious about people that have retired in NYC, meaning, you moved to NYC from another place to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
usually its just the opposite because of the cost of living here.

the good thing about ny is New York allows residents 59½ and older to exclude up to $20,000 of private or out-of-state public pensions from taxes, regardless of their total income.

the bad thing about nyc is the tax rates on everything else.

we thought we would like the more rural life and bought a home in the pocons in pa which we were going to retire to .

but 5 years later we realize there is nothing like nyc . the things to do, the medical care, public transportation if you cant drive, not being trapped indoors all winter etc all make nyc very attractive.

it all boils down to affording the lifestyle you want to live . if you can afford it nyc is fabulous.

to me retirement should be a reward for a lifetime of working, saving and doing without while raising a family . i want to live better in retirement than we did working since the trying to save and invest aspect is over and we go from our accumulation stage to our decumulation stage.

where we chose to retire has to let us do that.

to me living a life on the cheap or dumpster diving at retirement is not how i would want to live so i would look very carefully at costs in nyc and see if it meets my goals.

it all depends on your finances and what you expect from your retirement.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-26-2012 at 04:16 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I have a friend that moved to Manhattan as soon as her children were out of the house. NYC has lots to offer older people from convenient public transportation to lots of cultural activities.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,664 times
I've read several times now that more and more older people are moving to NYC for retirement. However, as others have pointed out it is not a cheap option and typically limited to the affluent. Outside of that, you've got easy access to some great hospitals, ample public transportation, and just about everything is convenient. If you live in a single level apartment in an elevator building you can live out your whole life and could skip the nursing home in favor of a home aid.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,120 times
Advantages:

Don't need a car
NYC is actually pretty safe for a large city
Many senior discounts, from mass transit to museums

Disadvantages:

Renting or buying is expensive.
You become much more aware of the world's problems living here, between the newspapers, the occasional protests, and so on. It may not be ideal if you want to feel the world's problems are a million miles away.
Agreed that it boils down to what kind of lifestyle you want. Big City life isn't for everybody.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Pretty much, ME. I'm finally here to stay.

I could not think of a better place for retirement...so here I am.

Last edited by Kefir King; 03-26-2012 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: