Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 AM

106,646 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

the worst day in my car is still better then my best day on public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:27 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the worst day in my car is still better then my best day on public transportation.
Your definitely a minority in this city.

I hate driving in NYC. I do not enjoy the traffic, tickets, expensive tolls/parking (lack of the latter), high insurance/gas rates, aggression, and as your pictures state: damage/vandalism/wear and tear.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 AM

Manhattan i agree but certainly not the boroughs. growing up as a kid in a family with no car sucked..
once i was old enough to get a car and tasted the ease and freedom to go anywhere and everywhere on my own time table i wouldnt trade it for a thing.

my wife doesnt drive and life for her many decades on this planet was cabs and public transportation.

well after life with me driving the last 10 years she cant even imagine life anymore without a car .

Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
I garaged my car for years but got tired of paying the escalating cost. So I parked on the street. That lasted about a month when a drunken cop off duty smashed into my car and 5 others while grinding his way home on Christmas Eve.
I decided NO MORE CAR.

Under the BQE? There is a very funny episode on THE KING OF QUEENS where Doug want to get rid of his DOUCHENBURG and he parks it under the BQE to have it stolen and collect the insurance. Seems the running gag is that no car survives the night...probably more than a grain of truth to the rumor.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:05 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
I have a car and love it when it's necessary: trips to Ikea, excursions to other areas of the city that are not easily accessible by public transportation, quick jaunts up to see my family in Westchester, etc. It's especially useful when I know I'm going to be out very late on the weekends and don't want to take public transportation (safety reasons).

However, I don't park it on the street and in fact made every effort to make sure my place had secure parking. I just didn't want to deal with the alt side of the street parking. You either spring for the garage or deal with the fact that someone will inevitably scrape/ding/dent your car. I mean, you'll even have to deal with that fact anywhere you drive it. This includes within parking lots of stores, garages, if you're parked on the street to go somewhere, etc.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM

108 posts, read 285,801 times
I live in Brooklyn. When I see one of my neighbors buy a brand new car and park it on the street, I shake my head and say to myself "They'll learn."

Unfortunately, that's a fact of life in the city - your car is gonna get banged up through no fault of your own, no matter what you do.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
I have a car also, and while I don't use for my daily commute to Manhattan, wifie does use it when she needs to travel for work around the tri-state region.
It's also very convinient to get away for a weekend in the catskills or when we wanna go to the beach or to our friend's house in the Poconos. We park it on the street, and so far I've got a few little scratches from other people trying to park too close to my car but that's expected.
I would agree with other people here in that you should think of your car as a tool and if you park on the street be assured that it will get scratched.
If you car is expensive or fairly new, then I would pay for a garage.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Manhattan i agree but certainly not the boroughs.
This is true. In Queens it's pretty difficult to have a family and not have a car....especially for families that live pretty much anywhere in Queens east of the Van Wyck.

If I lived in the city I would ditch my car, of course. But since I live in Queens, I feel I need it. My wife drives every day. I only drive on the weekends because I take the train to work.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM

we are in bay terrace queens. we dont even have a subway, just the lirr. buses are a pain and take forever to get somewhere.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
I plan on getting a car very soon. Hopefully I will actually find parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City