Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 PM

802 posts, read 1,365,839 times

Advertisements

avoid parking on corners.
avoid parking first and last on the block ive seen lots of cars totaled being parked last.

theres nothing else you can do if you park your car on the street just get used to it this is NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I always parked between 2 driveways. By the time my neighborhood became completely overcrowded my car was old enough that I didn't care. We waited until we left to buy new car. One of the reasons we left was that my husband's 1988 Caprice was broken into for the 3rd time.

The whole 'no one in NY drives a car' thing is such nonsense.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:19 PM

169 posts, read 489,760 times
I live out in Queens...and have two cars. One is my beater and one is my weekend toy....and she gets parked in a lot with a car cover...

Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
...And let me tell you, sitting in traffic on the FDR beats standing with my face pressed to the door on a Brooklyn bound 5 train at 5:20 pm .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the worst day in my car is still better then my best day on public transportation.

Nuff said!!

Not to mention the freaks, weirdos, and unwashed masses!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
I bought a 98 Volvo station Wagon with 125K on the clock. I didn't care where I parked it. Thats my advice - buy a beat up PoS. The bumpers will get scraped. Those bumper badger things don't work because your bumper will always get scraped on the corner and not in the middle (the part the badger covers).

I found the car very useful in Brooklyn. I didn't even think of buying one when I lived in Manhattan.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM

802 posts, read 1,365,839 times
garbage trucks come to my block twice a week on those days i avoid parking on corners because once they already scratched my bumper while making a turn into my block the truck couldnt fit in well and u know those guys dont even look in their side mirrors to see if they are good in the back

you gotta watch out when it snows too they destroy everything on the way when they clean snow :MAD:

Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,333 times
After a lot of worrying and then watching a car get sideswiped on my block yesterday, I've decided to suck it up and put it in a garage. Found a local, family-owned place with indoor parking for $215 a month. Open 24 hours and a block and a half from my house. I already feel waaaayyy more at ease. Plus I'd like to think that a family owned place is more likely to be careful with my car than an icon or other corporate garage would be.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Yes, a garage is safest, if you want to keep the car in good condition. $215/month is not bad at all, actually. Corporate garages do carry adequate insurance to cover the car, which would be the only difference with a smaller garage that may only carry the minimum level of insurance. However, you are more likely to get better service, and more care, from a smaller garage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-04-2013, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,270 times
My daughter just got her first car, and its an old car thats all scratched anyway. She likes to get into a parallel parking space and just go back and forth playing with the bumpers. She does it a lot, and she never got in trouble for it. I told her if she enjoys it that much, I think its ok for her to do it. She's not causing any major damage to the other cars.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:03 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicker8 View Post
My daughter just got her first car, and its an old car thats all scratched anyway. She likes to get into a parallel parking space and just go back and forth playing with the bumpers. She does it a lot, and she never got in trouble for it. I told her if she enjoys it that much, I think its ok for her to do it. She's not causing any major damage to the other cars.
Your daughter is an idiot for 'enjoying' this and you a bigger idiot for supporting and encouraging her stupidity. She might not be causing major damage to other cars but she's still damaging them with scratches and dings!!

I can only hope one day she will get in trouble and YOU have to pay for her 'enjoyment'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City