Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM

594 posts, read 1,629,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Here's another vote for Gravesend/Bensonhurst/Bath Beach - within walking distance (1-2 miles give or take) to at least 3 different train lines and 1 or 2 different bus lines, diverse, not as quaint as Astoria, Queens. It's about 40-50 minutes into NYC, relatively close to Brooklyn beaches, Coney Island, city parks abound - though nice parks are in Marine Park or down Bay Parkway by the water. Agree about parking - insurance in brooklyn is beyond ridiculous as is the lack of parking - nothing wrong with public transportation, especially the trains - mainly reliable. Public schools can be hit or miss, it really depends on the motivation of student to excel and avoid some of the you find them everywhere bad influences. Rents can be anywhere from $900 and up for 2 bedrooms - there is a mix of usually multi-family houses, some apartment buildings and single family homes.
We have been seriously looking into Bensonhurst, that seems like a good fit, as do Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights.

We also browsed through Midwood and it looks alright, but we've heard from some people that it's not a good idea to move there with kids because it can get kind of sketchy. I'm not sure though because I admittedly know nothing about that place.

I am interested in finding out more about Bath Beach and Gravesend, I've heard good things about those areas elsewhere as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
We have been seriously looking into Bensonhurst, that seems like a good fit, as do Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights.

We also browsed through Midwood and it looks alright, but we've heard from some people that it's not a good idea to move there with kids because it can get kind of sketchy. I'm not sure though because I admittedly know nothing about that place.

I am interested in finding out more about Bath Beach and Gravesend, I've heard good things about those areas elsewhere as well.
Midwood and Borough Park are both heavily Hassidic Jewish areas.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM

5,427 posts, read 5,657,665 times
Quote:

The public schools in Midwood suck though. Its a mostly jewish neighborhood and those kids go to yeshivas, so the public schools bus kids from Flatbush, Canarsie, and even Bed-Stuy.

The reason why public schools in south Brooklyn are better is frankly due to Russian and Chinese immigrants, since those families place greater emphasis on education.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The public schools in Midwood suck though. Its a mostly jewish neighborhood and those kids go to yeshivas, so the public schools bus kids from Flatbush, Canarsie, and even Bed-Stuy.

The reason why public schools in south Brooklyn are better is frankly due to Russian and Chinese immigrants, since those families place greater emphasis on education.
The High Schools in Midwood are some of the best in Brooklyn though.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,989,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
The High Schools in Midwood are some of the best in Brooklyn though.
There are only 2 high schools in Midwood - Midwood, located right next to Brooklyn College(Glenwood Rd) and James Madison (Quentin Rd) - both are on Bedford Avenue, location wise I'd take Madison over Midwood. Also, Midwood has no bus line running down Bedford Ave - courtesy of the residents who don't want their leafy green and Jewsih neighborhood bringing in the outsiders. I would not call them the "best", but if the child is motivated and stays focused, they will do well in either of those schools. It's true, there are much much worse public schools in Brooklyn.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Midwood can be sketchy because it bumps up against Flatbush, Ditmas Park and Kensington and not too far away from Prospect Park vicinity.

Dyker's a good neighborhood, but no real train line is near unless you walk over to New Utrecht avenue for the D line. Shopping is not that close either. That said, the neighborhoods literally bump up against each other heading south - Bay Ridge at the bridge, then Dyker, Bath Beach, Bensonhurst is a little bit in and Gravesend abuts Bensonhurst.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM

5,427 posts, read 5,657,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
There are only 2 high schools in Midwood - Midwood, located right next to Brooklyn College(Glenwood Rd) and James Madison (Quentin Rd) - both are on Bedford Avenue, location wise I'd take Madison over Midwood. Also, Midwood has no bus line running down Bedford Ave - courtesy of the residents who don't want their leafy green and Jewsih neighborhood bringing in the outsiders.
I don't know how it is now, but you used to be able to get to all the big three M's of Brooklyn if you lived in Midwood: Madison, Midwood, and Murrow. Out of the three right now I think Madison is the best. Location wise, its Murrow.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I don't know how it is now, but you used to be able to get to all the big three M's of Brooklyn if you lived in Midwood: Madison, Midwood, and Murrow. Out of the three right now I think Madison is the best. Location wise, its Murrow.
Murrow is on the cusp of Sheepshead Bay over there on 16th St. I'd take Madison for location, a real field and proximity to multiple avenues of transportation anyday. The neighborhood has gotten nicer to - always was nice.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:40 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,888,902 times
Having lived in Brooklyn for a couple of years, I can definitely and without a doubt say that I wouldn't recommend you moving to Brighton beach.
Sure it's a nice place if you wanna go to the beach and maybe check out some slavic babes, but I wouldn't like to live there.
If you must live in Brooklyn, you should look into Bay Ridge, Dyker heights and Bensunhursts. While a tad more expensive (BR especially), those areas are much more diverse and the schools are not bad at all.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,911,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Having lived in Brooklyn for a couple of years, I can definitely and without a doubt say that I wouldn't recommend you moving to Brighton beach.
Sure it's a nice place if you wanna go to the beach and maybe check out some slavic babes, but I wouldn't like to live there.
If you must live in Brooklyn, you should look into Bay Ridge, Dyker heights and Bensunhursts. While a tad more expensive (BR especially), those areas are much more diverse and the schools are not bad at all.
Yes, and your darling wife will be learning English, which she will probably be happier for later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City