Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times

Advertisements

The other problem is it is difficult to ensure copyright compliance with a photo thread, since many people post images that are not their own, and/or don't link to the page where an image was found on the Internet, just the picture, which is not fair use. I have been working on an updated solution to the moving thread that would incorporate a general template for moving, along with an index to photo tours of various boroughs. It can work, and I know that we have a couple of posters who have posted some good templates to help narrow down options for helping new people post. What might work would be to combine the information from those threads, and the index, in a locked thread, such that people could post in the appropriate sub-thread for pictures by borough, and/or new threads for those relocating, using the template to help answer the same questions posed.

Let's talk about the best way to update that sticky, since we very much appreciate all the efforts by posters who have been posing options to help refine the way the board seeks to help those who are relocating.

While the two sticky rule is an administrative rule that applies to all of C-D by the owner, there's no reason why we cannot have an index that covers relocation templates and general photo tours by borough and city, overall. And, one need not have to post in the official photo thread(s), as individual tours such as those of the botanical gardens or a particular park, etc. are always welcome. It may get unwieldy to have too long of an index, so I would like to keep it to one post for general relocation and one for photo threads. What do you think?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
as one of the biggest photo posters im open to any ideas. whatever we do though shouldnt end up one big smush that no one can search or call up specific photos from.

as stickies grow the older photos typically never get seen again as they are to far behind and not able to be called up by subject.

i always will start a thread thats searchable for that reason like flushing tour or ny botanical gardens ,etc...

i once had a moderator from a photography forum contact me to see if i posted some photos that were on his site. the links back to my photos i guess didnt seem to make sense for whatever reason so they were suspicious.

not only did someone post my photos as there own but i had some little blurbs about the technique i used and he posted it complete with my verbage.

funny about a year later the same guy cropped up here in city data and posted on the photography forum and was one thread below mine.

i notified the mod over on the city-data photography forum and they locked him out.

i do alot of photography and post it on city data and you would be surprised what turns up where but it all goes with the territory if you post. all my photos have internal metadata that can be seen with the right software that contain my personal info showing me as the owner.

today a watermark on the photo can be cloned right out with photoshop, i dont even bother.

if i remember correctly and i havent looked in a while but part of the deal when you post on city data is you give city data the rights to use the photos for other purposes..

yep found it:

"By registering and posting on City-Data.com's Forums you grant owners of City-data.com forum a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right to license, use, modify, or publish your posts in any media and manner whatsoever"

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-28-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
I feel like because NYC is the most-visited city in the US, there are billions of the same shots everywhere but then again, there are different angles.
The same shots of Manhattan yes, I agree. The same shots of NYC , not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I like seeing pictures of different neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Queens, or The Bronx. Seeing the same Manhattan pics gets boring after a while.
I agree. As much I love the Brooklyn Bridge - the photo of Lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge is extremely overdone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The other problem is it is difficult to ensure copyright compliance with a photo thread, since many people post images that are not their own, and/or don't link to the page where an image was found on the Internet, just the picture, which is not fair use. I have been working on an updated solution to the moving thread that would incorporate a general template for moving, along with an index to photo tours of various boroughs. It can work, and I know that we have a couple of posters who have posted some good templates to help narrow down options for helping new people post. What might work would be to combine the information from those threads, and the index, in a locked thread, such that people could post in the appropriate sub-thread for pictures by borough, and/or new threads for those relocating, using the template to help answer the same questions posed.

Let's talk about the best way to update that sticky, since we very much appreciate all the efforts by posters who have been posing options to help refine the way the board seeks to help those who are relocating.

While the two sticky rule is an administrative rule that applies to all of C-D by the owner, there's no reason why we cannot have an index that covers relocation templates and general photo tours by borough and city, overall. And, one need not have to post in the official photo thread(s), as individual tours such as those of the botanical gardens or a particular park, etc. are always welcome. It may get unwieldy to have too long of an index, so I would like to keep it to one post for general relocation and one for photo threads. What do you think?
I really like this idea and hopefully it'll be put into effect. But how would you guys go about getting pictures. Most of the time when people use Google and links back to a picture (for sharing/say from a blog) it's completely obsolete. Would you guys allow those of us with personal pictures to post them freely or would they have to get submitted and then posted? (I hope I'm not confusing you)

Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
You are free to post your own pictures, either hosted on C-D or linked from a file-sharing site. It's when there are professional pictures, with watermarks, and/or links that direct back to another site where the copyright issue comes into question, especially if they vary from those posted by the same user. 99% of members would never have to worry about the copyright issue as they would post their own content.

The photos in the various threads would be posted by other members, including cell phone shots, etc., whatever one wants to post. I am a firm believer, that even in the age of Google street views, nothing captures an area better than multiple eyes from multiple photographers. If you felt like adding a caption to orient someone to the neighborhood by cross streets or general neighborhood, that would also be a helpful addition to that type of thread, though not mandatory.

Would it be helpful to have two types of picture threads? For those with captions, sorted by borough, and those of just random NYC shots in a general NYC photo thread?

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Usually, in the photo stickies in other CD forums, the fun is for locals (and visitors) to show off their photos they've taken and hopefully some out-of-towners might learn a bit about the place. Don't post other people's photos! Post your own.

I have some photos I'd want to post. And they don't even have the Brooklyn Bridge! They have the Manhattan Bridge.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:

Whatever the problems, issues and challenges that are that yourself and others bring up, the fact is that even the OTHER biggest cities and metro areas in the United States ALL start out their forums with STICKIES FOR INVITING PHOTOGRAPHS (i.e., Los Angeles, Orange County, Chicago, Chicago Suburbs, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.). Los Angeles is a megalopolis of many, many cities & towns all lumped together into an enormous single county (much bigger than NYC & just as multi-faceted . . . if not even more so than NYC) . . . and yet they all feel justified in inviting & allowing posting of photographs as a regular activity. If it is not so insurmoutable for them, then it should not be so insurmountable for the NYC FORUM. If it needs to be made less unwieldly, note that New York City is already politically and legally broken down into 5 counties (or, as we call them, "boroughs") . . . so, in an effort to make this PHOTO STICKY effort less unwieldy, we "might" consider having 5 different stickies (for 5 different boroughs) just for manageability. If this is being held up by the referenced "two-sticky limit", then said "limit" it should be either changed/dropped or at least have an exception made just for the NEW YORK CITY FORUM (just to make it more manageable) . . . and practical. What is meant by "practical" is: People looking to see photos of Manhattan's skyline, Times Square, the Financial District, Greenwich Village, et al are probably not interested in having that all mixed in with photos of Ozone Park or Hunts Point or the beaches of Staten Island or Astoria or Glen Oaks or Canarsie and so on.

Is my logic understood by all who read this (to perhaps break it up into 5 stickies . . . a separate sticky for EACHsingle borough)? Or else, if it is preferred, to just have 1 single NEW YORK CITY FORUM photo sticky? How can NEW YORK CITY, of all places in the U.S. or in the world, not have a photo sticky? That's like going to McDonald's and they never offer or even stock ketchup to use with their hamburgers. That's like having rock music or rock n' roll musci but without ever allowing any guitars to participate.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
You are free to post your own pictures, either hosted on C-D or linked from a file-sharing site. It's when there are professional pictures, with watermarks, and/or links that direct back to another site where the copyright issue comes into question, especially if they vary from those posted by the same user. 99% of members would never have to worry about the copyright issue as they would post their own content.

The photos in the various threads would be posted by other members, including cell phone shots, etc., whatever one wants to post. I am a firm believer, that even in the age of Google street views, nothing captures an area better than multiple eyes from multiple photographers. If you felt like adding a caption to orient someone to the neighborhood by cross streets or general neighborhood, that would also be a helpful addition to that type of thread, though not mandatory.

Would it be helpful to have two types of picture threads? For those with captions, sorted by borough, and those of just random NYC shots in a general NYC photo thread?

I may not fully understand how the system works or maybe this point has been brought before by others or by yourself (by what I am going to say now) and therefore I'll be showing my ignorance here:

Perhaps, before anyone being able to post ANY photos, said photos have to be presented to a clearance person or panel and it must be demonstrated that the desired-to-be-posted photo(s) are not copyrighted material BEFORE they can be posted. And if they are shown to not be copyrighted material, then the clearance person or panel can will post said photos on behalf of the person wanting to do the posting.

Or will this be too much work or that C-D doesn't have the spare staff for take on this role? Well then how do other C-D geographic location-specific forums deal with this issue?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:14 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:

Yes, this would work perfectly! Sometimes people just want to see a particular neighborhood and then sometimes people shoot from bridges, helicopters, etc. Any picture I post then I'll just edit and put Studdedleather somewhere on it (just so you guys know it's mine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I have some photos I'd want to post. And they don't even have the Brooklyn Bridge! They have the Manhattan Bridge.
LOL! Cool I would like to see them. Although I'm sure it'll have the Brooklyn Bridge or Williamsburg Bridge in it (unless you know the spot in DUMBO to just capture the Manhattan bridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Whatever the problems, issues and challenges that are that yourself and others bring up, the fact is that even the OTHER biggest cities and metro areas in the United States ALL start out their forums with STICKIES FOR INVITING PHOTOGRAPHS (i.e., Los Angeles, Orange County, Chicago, Chicago Suburbs, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.). Los Angeles is a megalopolis of many, many cities & towns all lumped together into an enormous single county (much bigger than NYC & just as multi-faceted . . . if not even more so than NYC) . . . and yet they all feel justified in inviting & allowing posting of photographs as a regular activity. If it is not so insurmoutable for them, then it should not be so insurmountable for the NYC FORUM. If it needs to be made less unwieldly, note that New York City is already politically and legally broken down into 5 counties (or, as we call them, "boroughs") . . . so, in an effort to make this PHOTO STICKY effort less unwieldy, we "might" consider having 5 different stickies (for 5 different boroughs) just for manageability. If this is being held up by the referenced "two-sticky limit", then said "limit" it should be either changed/dropped or at least have an exception made just for the NEW YORK CITY FORUM (just to make it more manageable) . . . and practical. What is meant by "practical" is: People looking to see photos of Manhattan's skyline, Times Square, the Financial District, Greenwich Village, et al are probably not interested in having that all mixed in with photos of Ozone Park or Hunts Point or the beaches of Staten Island or Astoria or Glen Oaks or Canarsie and so on.

Is my logic understood by all who read this (to perhaps break it up into 5 stickies . . . a separate sticky for EACHsingle borough)? Or else, if it is preferred, to just have 1 single NEW YORK CITY FORUM photo sticky? How can NEW YORK CITY, of all places in the U.S. or in the world, not have a photo sticky? That's like going to McDonald's and they never offer or even stock ketchup to use with their hamburgers. That's like having rock music or rock n' roll musci but without ever allowing any guitars to participate.
Wow, you need to relax. Maybe you didn't catch this. . .

Quote:
While the two sticky rule is an administrative rule that applies to all of C-D by the owner
So when you bring up L.A., Chicago, etc those cities STILL have the two sticky limit. Our two sticky threads are about moving and safety, unfortunately, but that's why the Mods are asking how they should go about incorporating a photo section.

I personally like the caption/sorted by borough and the general NYC shots.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
The same shots of Manhattan yes, I agree. The same shots of NYC , not at all.

I agree. As much I love the Brooklyn Bridge - the photo of Lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge is extremely overdone.

I really like this idea and hopefully it'll be put into effect. But how would you guys go about getting pictures. Most of the time when people use Google and links back to a picture (for sharing/say from a blog) it's completely obsolete. Would you guys allow those of us with personal pictures to post them freely or would they have to get submitted and then posted? (I hope I'm not confusing you)
i agree with you 100% that the same photos of the same places get to be quite boring after a while.

as photographers my wife and i both kind of have the same view of our work.

we want our work to look different than the rest.

we dont care if our work looks like the origonal scene, our work looks the way we want it to look and not the way it may actually have looked.

afterall how many boring shots of the brooklyn bridge do we need.

photography is an art and to us doesnt have to be a duplicate of the origonal scene so we strive to use different sofware and different processing making each photo unique.

there is the photography we do thats not for the public and those shots we keep private and those are that shots that capture a moment that means something to only us and that stuff stays pretty much un-edited.

but then there is our stuff we post and sell on our website and thats stuff that is made to look the way we want it to regardless if it looks like the scene or not.

heres a few examples of what we like to do . some are as many as 7 shots ,all different exposures that are meged into one super exposure that extends the range of the camera from dark to light many times over.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-29-2012 at 03:04 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City