Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerCrawler View Post
I agree, I've been frisked while wearing a button down, slacks and shoes...with nowhere to possibly conceal a deadly weapon. So they are also racially profiling.
That is exactly what that law is about, the fear of non-white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 AM

455 posts, read 651,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Stop and frisk works to deter crime before it happens. A lot of drugs and weapons are lifted from "innocent" people supposedly milling about doing nothing. I don't know any normal law-abiding person who carries drugs, knives, or guns on them for no particular reason if they're not looking for trouble.

I've never been stopped and frisked because I don't behave in an erratic manner that brings attention to myself or makes me suspicious looking. I also don't dress in hoodies or some other kind of ghetto gettup trying to look tough and intimidating.

If you dress like a hoodlum and act suspiciously then you're inviting the cops and stop and frisk you and you have no right to complain
This is correct. It has to do with the way you behave and dress. A lot of people have disdain for cops but being a cop is a tough job. You have people who hate you due to TV shows, movies, music, stories, etc. In our city, the majority of the crimes are being committed by Blacks and Hispanics; therefore, these groups are targeted and for good reason. Before, we point the fingers at the cops, we need to look in the mirror and one another and figure out what were are doing wrong. I am a latino for the record and i have never been stopped by the cops.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM

359 posts, read 329,454 times
thats right, just make sure you behave this way and dress this way and you'll be fine.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 AM

171 posts, read 305,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I've never been stopped and frisked because I don't behave in an erratic manner that brings attention to myself or makes me suspicious looking. I also don't dress in hoodies or some other kind of ghetto gettup trying to look tough and intimidating.
your showing an insane amount of ignorance here and i can only assume that you dont live in the city and aren't familiar with the gestapo like tactics of the NYPD.
I HAVE been stopped and frisked multiple times, it has little to do with the way your dressed and much more to do with where you are and what time of day/night it is.
These are factors that you may have little control over, IE where you live, what time your shift is and what train you take home from work.
and seriously, hoodies?!? when did it become a crime to stay warm?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Have you personally been stop and frisked? It has happened to me four times, and each time it's humiliating and degrading. .
I don't know if it would be "degrading".....how cute was the cop in question?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 AM

400 posts, read 983,519 times
All you people who are pro stop and frisk, anti 4th amendment and are willing to give up your rights for safety dont deserve any rights whatsoever.

Cops will even try to bs you into thinking you are required to carry identification.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
All you people who are pro stop and frisk, anti 4th amendment and are willing to give up your rights for safety dont deserve any rights whatsoever.

Cops will even try to bs you into thinking you are required to carry identification.
You should carry ID at all times just in case something happens to you. it will be faster and easier to reach family members, get your medical records, etc.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 AM

400 posts, read 983,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
You should carry ID at all times just in case something happens to you. it will be faster and easier to reach family members, get your medical records, etc.
I SHOULD carry id, but my point is that you ARE NOT! legally required by New York State to do so.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I don't know if it would be "degrading".....how cute was the cop in question?
what does that have to do with anything? I am saying the stops were humiliating. being stopped and searched for no valid reason while people walk by looking at what's happening is humiliating.

Go look up the definition of degrading. Nice try though.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
I SHOULD carry id, but my point is that you ARE NOT! legally required by New York State to do so.
Ok, so you only will do something that benefits you and society ONLY IF IT"S REQUIRED???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City