Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

Unfortunately a group of black men with their JD from Columbia U know they will be seen as no being different from a street thug, unless dressed in business attire. If injured/killed Kelly will pretend to apologize, but claim that the incident was good policing, placing the blame on these Ivy League lawyers.
'
Folks like you will pretend as if it is an "isolated" incident.
What incident do you mean ?

Because I know many "black men with their JD from Columbia U" who do not think that way. In fact, most of our friends fit exactly that profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
What incident do you mean ?

Because I know many "black men with their JD from Columbia U" who do not think that way. In fact, most of our friends fit exactly that profile.

Several years ago the Village Voice did a whole story on men with this background who weree assaulted by some cops. Given that upper middle class blacks (especially men) are conditioned to avoid looking like the stereotype these men definitely werent groomed in what ever the ghetto style was at the time.

As to those black JDs who really do think they way that you claim that they do, ask them how they will react if stopped by a group of cops on a dark street late at night with no other witnesses.Bet you they will attempt to very quickly establish their credentials to avoid an embarassing interlude in a police station, not trusting some half educated cop from Long Island to care about their background.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Ask your son to start helping out in the Black Community then Lucknow, we need it in Toronto. Known to police - thestar.com

Maybe the Canadian Constitution protects people of your colour, but for Black people in Toronto it has not made the slightest change.
Well , all I can say is that's it's deplorable situation that should not be tolerated. I can tell you this though. I have two young black grandsons who live in Toronto. Because their Mother, ny daughter is a hyper social justice lady, these boys will Never allow themselves to be any kind of target for anyone. The constitution is for everyone and it's incumbent upon everyone to NOT ALLOW themselves to be targeted. If every single black person who was stopped or searched without cause then sued the police it would stop immediately.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Several years ago the Village Voice did a whole story on men with this background who weree assaulted by some cops. Given that upper middle class blacks (especially men) are conditioned to avoid looking like the stereotype these men definitely werent groomed in what ever the ghetto style was at the time.

As to those black JDs who really do think they way that you claim that they do, ask them how they will react if stopped by a group of cops on a dark street late at night with no other witnesses.Bet you they will attempt to very quickly establish their credentials to avoid an embarassing interlude in a police station, not trusting some half educated cop from Long Island to care about their background.
Like us, they are more concerned with getting the anti-socials to clean up their acts.

Or, alternatively, moving as far away from them as we can.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well , all I can say is that's it's deplorable situation that should not be tolerated. I can tell you this though. I have two young black grandsons who live in Toronto. Because their Mother, ny daughter is a hyper social justice lady, these boys will Never allow themselves to be any kind of target for anyone. The constitution is for everyone and it's incumbent upon everyone to NOT ALLOW themselves to be targeted. If every single black person who was stopped or searched without cause then sued the police it would stop immediately.
There have been numerous complaints filed against TPD by members of the Black Community, but it falls on deaf ears. The main reason for this is that there is no representation that has our interests in mind in Toronto City Council or Canadian government, that is a result of having very few Black's in political positions of power.

I do agree with your sentiment though, educate your black grandsons because it will be necessary. Personally the Toronto PD has been the worst department I have dealt with of any city I have lived, the situation for young black men there is depressing.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
There have been numerous complaints filed against TPD by members of the Black Community, but it falls on deaf ears. The main reason for this is that there is no representation that has our interests in mind in Toronto City Council or Canadian government, that is a result of having very few Black's in political positions of power.

I do agree with your sentiment though, educate your black grandsons because it will be necessary. Personally the Toronto PD has been the worst department I have dealt with of any city I have lived, the situation for young black men there is depressing.
That is not enough. If your rights have been abused you need to sue in a civil action. I asked my son in law who is as black a man that I have ever seen if he has EVER experienced and kind of racial problems since he came to Canada from Jamacia as a young teen many years ago. His answer to me was a flat NO I have not.I find that hard to believe actually but this is a very honest man who I'm asking. His family was middle class and they lived in a good part of town so maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
That is not enough. If your rights have been abused you need to sue in a civil action. I asked my son in law who is as black a man that I have ever seen if he has EVER experienced and kind of racial problems since he came to Canada from Jamacia as a young teen many years ago. His answer to me was a flat NO I have not.I find that hard to believe actually but this is a very honest man who I'm asking. His family was middle class and they lived in a good part of town so maybe that has something to do with it.
Not questioning the credibility of your son in law, but I also emigrated from Jamaica to Toronto and everyone I grew up with experienced this. As you said though he lived in a much different neighborhood than myself, as I lived in Lawrence Heights "Jungle" so we grow up with Police swarming our neighborhood on a regular basis.

The numbers do not lie though. The Toronto Star article was very in depth and used actual police data when comparing the numbers and for a city that is 8.5% black, how on earth can you justify Blacks being documented 3 times more often than Whites, including up to 11 times more likely in some neighborhoods.

You couple that with the fact that we only have 1 black member of a 46 person city council and barely any representation Federally and you have a tough situation. Racism in Toronto is not the in your face kind alot of the time, but rather under the radar. Ask your son in law how many Black men he has in executive positions at his company, chances are the answer will be none.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,041 times
This thread clearly illustrates the short term outlook of many people. They just don't see the bigger picture.

Of course stop and frisk works. If we dropped a few nuclear weapons on Iraq and Afghanistan when those wars started, that'd "work" too.

Our constitution and bill of rights guards us precisely from policies that "work". The question is at whose expense?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:25 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This thread clearly illustrates the short term outlook of many people. They just don't see the bigger picture.

Of course stop and frisk works. If we dropped a few nuclear weapons on Iraq and Afghanistan when those wars started, that'd "work" too.

Our constitution and bill of rights guards us precisely from policies that "work". The question is at whose expense?
They really don't. You are talking about an imaginary bill of rights.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,567 times
their own culture brought this upon themselves

deal with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City