Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM

400 posts, read 983,328 times

Advertisements

WHEN will it end?

It is legal to stop and frisk a person if an officer believes he/she is carrying a weapon. But while conducting a stop and frisk officers are supposed to feel the pockets and waistband of people they believe to have weapons.

THEY (the civil disobedients) ARE NOT supposed to go through your pockets WITHOUT a search warrant. But they routinely do this EVERYDAY of every hour in New York City. They search your/his/her pockets unwarrantedely in search of finding small amounts of marijuana/drugs for a potential easy arrest to meet their quotas. They will make up cockamany/false stories that there robberies/burglaries in the area, "you fit the description of a suspect" to get you to stop and BS you. They'll search your car without a warrant and they will try to circumvent your rights in any way possible in hopes of getting that arrest for the day.

Some of you might ask yourself after reading this, why the hell would they want to arrest me for when I have done nothing wrong? They have huge incentive to make arrest. That incentive is promotions and rank upgrades from making arrests and ultimately retiring with high pay.

The CCRB (Civilian Complaint Review Board) is a failure of a oversight agency. They rarely ever "substantiate" allegations against officers involved in misconduct. And even if they do ever find anything substantial in an allegation the penalty for misconduct is unreasonably small. They get punished for a few vacation days or even a slap on the wrist.

The police dont have any reason NOT to stop and frisk you because 99% of the time their wont be any consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nycresistance?feature=watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,781 times
Have you personally been stop and frisked? It has happened to me four times, and each time it's humiliating and degrading. Each time I ask why I'm being stopped and they always have an excuse "we saw you staring at guys across the street, you were standing in front of a liquor store, you had a marker in your hand". It's messed up.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
if i were daily stopped an frisked on the street i would change whatever i was doing to cause this behavior. having done that next step is citizen complaints about the police dept.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM

^Last I checked, standing outside the liquor store waiting for a friend isn't a reason to get stopped, neither is being cautious of your surroundings when you're walking home, and neither is playing with a writing implement.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 PM

95 posts, read 259,587 times
I've been stopped and frisked multiple times, one time by white detectives in plain clothes ready to turn me into the next Diallo. I was walking home around 3-4 am from a girlfriends house at the time( she only lived a few blocks away so I always felt safe, although the neighborhood was always hot) when a speeding car stopped abruptly as it passed me and I kid you not, 5-6 men hopped out of the car and as soon as I tried to make a run for it(i was scared for my life, 18 years old and had never been searched...but had witnessed muggings in the neighborhood)...they quickly drew their weapons and asked why I was running, did a quick pat down and asked me if I knew where the guns in that area were coming from. I of course knew squat and just continued walking, I don't know how I didn't soil myself.

Point is, they do too many of these illegal searches, at times deploying scare tactics.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
Stop and frisk works to deter crime before it happens. A lot of drugs and weapons are lifted from "innocent" people supposedly milling about doing nothing. I don't know any normal law-abiding person who carries drugs, knives, or guns on them for no particular reason if they're not looking for trouble.

I've never been stopped and frisked because I don't behave in an erratic manner that brings attention to myself or makes me suspicious looking. I also don't dress in hoodies or some other kind of ghetto gettup trying to look tough and intimidating.

If you dress like a hoodlum and act suspiciously then you're inviting the cops and stop and frisk you and you have no right to complain.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Stop and frisk works to deter crime before it happens. A lot of drugs and weapons are lifted from "innocent" people supposedly milling about doing nothing. I don't know any normal law-abiding person who carries drugs, knives, or guns on them for no particular reason if they're not looking for trouble.

I've never been stopped and frisked because I don't behave in an erratic manner that brings attention to myself or makes me suspicious looking. I also don't dress in hoodies or some other kind of ghetto gettup trying to look tough and intimidating.

If you dress like a hoodlum and act suspiciously then you're inviting the cops and stop and frisk you and you have no right to complain.
Here we go with the hoodies. I've been stopped and frisked twice. 1 time I was coming home from work, business casual. And it happened right outside of my building. All I was doing was walking home from the train. So dressing a certain way does not help IMO.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 PM

95 posts, read 259,587 times
I agree, I've been frisked while wearing a button down, slacks and shoes...with nowhere to possibly conceal a deadly weapon. So they are also racially profiling.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 PM

409 posts, read 497,639 times
Since I'm not black or latino. I don't really care.

:P

If you can't tell I'm an E. Asian, the police never bother me. :P

Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

Read my story. Maybe you've been lucky to not been stopped but it definitely happens A LOT.

And I thought people were allowed to dress how they want? And you shouldn't have a right to complain? Wtf???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City