Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I would move to the part of NYC that is called PARIS.

and I will live down the block from you which is called GREECE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 PM

61 posts, read 145,682 times
The first thing I'd do if I got that kind of money is open a Swiss Bank account.

As far as where I'd live, I would probably stay in Harlem but upgrade the property I lived in. I wouldn't get too fancy until I knew my millions were generating more millions (I know that's gonna turn some people off, but whatever).

Old 03-30-2012, 03:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
I was thinking of Forest Hills. Speaking of Pelham Gardens, I just passed a gorgeous home on Kingsland Avenue off Waring or Mace. It looked like it was recently built. I guess that's the "Italian" version of Fieldston over there!!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:27 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
First, before claiming the prize, I'd hire an attorney to represent me., then a 'banker'.

Second, I'd claim the prize, but I'd do everything possible to keep my name and face from the public. If I couldn't prevent my name, then after the hoopala, asap, I'd change my name.

Third, I'd buy a place across from the park, east or west, or possibly Park Slope.

I'd do all the above as quickly as humanly possible! A number of days....

Oh, yeah, I'd take the lump sum and drop everything into a number of managed funds with the goal of earning 5% per annum and minimizing taxes. That'd be about $5M plus per annum.

Then I'd purchase a dream car, sleek, fast and uncommon. I'd head south taking my own sweet time of a road trip. Weeks of just clearing my head and mentally preparing myself. I'd keep heading south and when I reached the water I'd buy a sailboat and spend months learning to sail and then sail the Carribean. Once I was competent enough I'd head east toward the Mediterrainin (sp?), visit every port, then down the west African coast, once at Cape Town, I'd take a land break for awhile, maybe buy a new boat, then again heading east....

It w/b years before I'd return after seeing and having lived the world, before returning to the place of my birth, and live my life by the moto and intention, "...to whom much is given, much is expected...." I'd likely renovate the apartment, hire household help and adopt a couple of chiildren.

A run for Mayor????

Think a black Ronald Reagan as Mayor of NYC....

Actually, I'd start a private investment business; and the plot begins.

Agreed! I'd definitely change my name, especially if I was the only one that hit the jackpot. I'd try and purchase a co-op on Park or Fifth because I grew up there and am more familiar with the area (Grew up on 78th and 3rd). I'd get a place in Greenwich as well to escape to on the weekends.

And just as JColtrane would do, I would hand it over to a private wealth manager to invest in bonds, real estate holdings and turn key businesses that I could live off of for the rest of my life.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:29 PM

9 posts, read 14,238 times
I would move out of ny and buy a mansion in Maine and live my life in peace&quiet!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:58 PM

458 posts, read 616,006 times
Half would go to charity right away, a quarter would go to my family, and the last quarter would start a business or investments or other means of self-replicating as quickly as possible. I'd probably move out of the city but commute in with a helicopter, or something...

Old 03-30-2012, 04:43 PM

400 posts, read 983,263 times
I would give all my money to the Occupy wall street movement!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:24 PM

171 posts, read 305,145 times
4 floor walk up in the LES..preferably near Delancy somewhere with a full view of the bridge.
top floor would be my apt.
3rd would be for the dogs, yup..they would have their very own floor...i mean if were dreaming here anyway.
2nd would be for my private skatepark and metal/wood shop
1st would be for my dream retail shop..think thrift store meets handmade furniture store meets barber shop meets skate shop.
oh and then i would have freight elevator installed.
dreams!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM

802 posts, read 1,365,839 times
manhattan beach

i already live 10 minute walk from there but MB itself would be better

Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
4 floor walk up in the LES..preferably near Delancy somewhere with a full view of the bridge.
top floor would be my apt.
3rd would be for the dogs, yup..they would have their very own floor...i mean if were dreaming here anyway.
2nd would be for my private skatepark and metal/wood shop
1st would be for my dream retail shop..think thrift store meets handmade furniture store meets barber shop meets skate shop.
oh and then i would have freight elevator installed.
dreams!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City