Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,862 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My 16 year old daughter is seriously considering NYU! She is interested in film/television. She would like to stay in front of the cameras. And yeah, she's SAG.
She's an excellent student and has what it takes (so far so good) to at least apply with the hope of being accepted.
She is currently a student Scottsdale, AZ.
However, we reside in PA and do a lot of business in NYC. So she is familiar with the area.
The only problem is she is unsure whether she wants to be on the east coast or west coast. She is applying to UCLA and/or USC also.
Could anyone please honestly tell me the pros and cons of NYU if you are familiar with it?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,829 times
NYU's film/television program is excellent--many many prominent grads in the industry. I'm assuming, however, that she's interested in acting rather than directing? If so, the drama program is terrific as well, from what I understand. Students can do work in conjunction with Stella Adler, etc as far as I know. I think most of the proponents of the Method are historically NYC based. And film and acting students can do projects together, producing student films with NYC as a backdrop.

Check out NYU's Tisch School of the Arts website for more details.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:33 AM

314 posts, read 492,390 times
i didn't go to nyu. but, my impression is that nyu has a reputable theater/drama program for undergraduate study. i also get the impression that studying performing arts in nyc (especially at nyu) is more catered to broadway. if she wants to pursue film and television, her better bet is ucla or usc...preferably ucla. there are a couple of downsides to nyu. one, it is very expensive. i want to say 40K+/year. although you are not CA residents, i imagine that she could apply for CA residency after a year or two at ucla and pay in-state tuition after that. two, except for performing arts, nyu is a very mediocre university. most students change their course of study a few times while in undergraduate school. on the whole, ucla is a better university. so, if she does change her mind, she will be better served at ucla than nyu.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Yeah from what I understand the whole drama degree thing is geared towards a career in theater (Broadway). It that's what she wants to do then NYU is definitely the route, there is also SUNY-Purchase as a much cheaper alternative route. Fordham (Manhattan, Lincoln center campus) might also have a pretty good drama department (not totally sure on this).

A lot of film/tv actors don't necessarily get degrees in drama. They just do workshops or take acting classes. If she is going to go that route, she might want to consider getting a degree in something else, which would also serve as a backup in case the acting thing doesn't work out. In this case I would recommend she stays in state or goes to UCLA, or USC.

Also yes depending on what you study, NYU can be mediocre, but some of their programs have excellent reps (finance/business comes to mind). But yeah it is a really expensive school.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:58 AM

NYU's rep has changed quite dramatically (pardon the pun) over the past decade or three. Used to be a mediocre commuter school, but this is not the case now--though I'm sure some depts are still stronger than others. Much, much more competitive these days.

And NYC theater is a lot more than just Broadway or musical theater.

In any case, for filmmaking NYU and UCLA are both top-notch from what I gather. All NYU students complete a hefty liberal arts core as well.

Again, I'd suggest checking out the website and the list of alum for both schools.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
My Ph.D. advisor's son had a choice - NYU or USC. He went to USC and has said that he is glad that he did, because it gave him more of an entree into television and movies (he's now a producer for a major cable network).

Old 09-14-2007, 10:03 AM

314 posts, read 492,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
All NYU students complete a hefty liberal arts core.
princeton students complete a 'hefty liberal arts core.' but, in all fairness, i probably overspoke. according to, USNews.com: America's Best Colleges 2008: National Universities: Top Schools nyu ranks 34. it is unfair to call the 34th ranked university mediocre. i modify my statement to read, it is an above average school.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:37 AM

Check out this wikipedia list of prominent NYU Tisch alumni--QUITE impressive.

List of NYU Tisch School of the Arts people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2007, 11:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Check out the SUNY-Purchase alumni list. Pretty impressive as well.

Category:State University of New York at Purchase alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 PM

96 posts, read 344,547 times
I went to NYU from 88-92. Tisch is a fine school as others have pointed out. Among many things, I liked that NYU was located close to many fine art and theater venues. It does a lot to enhance the education. Any other info, just PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City