Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

I've always WANTED a place with a Minotaur...I LOVE animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times
Rego park is OK. Personally, not my cup of tea, I find Forest Hills and even Kew Garden more interesting than Rego park, but overall it is a decent neighborhood with a lot of shopping options and good transportation.
Parking can be a little hard, though.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Rego park is OK. Personally, not my cup of tea, I find Forest Hills and even Kew Garden more interesting than Rego park, but overall it is a decent neighborhood with a lot of shopping options and good transportation.
Parking can be a little hard, though.
Parking is just as bad in Forest Hills as it is in Rego Park.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Parking is just as bad in Forest Hills as it is in Rego Park.
Agreed. But Forest Hills is much nicer, IMO.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Agreed. But Forest Hills is much nicer, IMO.
That's true but so often the choice revolves around MONEY and then Rego Park shows its humble charms.

Let's face it, we'd all love to live at 79th and Fifth Avenue because it's nicer than anywhere in the City we can name...but the issue gets moot at $10,000 or $20,000 rents.

Rego Park strikes one of the best BALANCES between nicety and costs and safety and transportation, IMHO.
I find it dull and samey...but I still often recommend it.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:43 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,352 times
Parking isn't really an issue, I'm planning on selling the car before we move anyway. I'm not paying $9 a day for tolls plus paying to park in Manhattan, plus NY insurance rates...I'd really just rather take the subway.

On the other hand it might be nice to have it for other things though, like if we want to go for a weekend in the country or something. But I'm pretty sure I'd rather just have the money from selling it.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That's true but so often the choice revolves around MONEY and then Rego Park shows its humble charms.

Let's face it, we'd all love to live at 79th and Fifth Avenue because it's nicer than anywhere in the City we can name...but the issue gets moot at $10,000 or $20,000 rents.

Rego Park strikes one of the best BALANCES between nicety and costs and safety and transportation, IMHO.
I find it dull and samey...but I still often recommend it.
I would agree with you if there was a major difference in price, but actually prices from what ive seen, are only sligtly higher in FH.
Agreed on RP being dull and plain, however.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
I would agree with you if there was a major difference in price, but actually prices from what ive seen, are only sligtly higher in FH.
Agreed on RP being dull and plain, however.
I don't think you can truly know what the prices are until you do an actual search. If you are seeing prices that look similar in both neighborhoods, it could be because you are comparing a place in Forest hills that is far from the train and far from Austin St. to one in Rego Park that is right near the train.

Forest Hills is quite attractive in certain areas, and Rego Park can't really compare in this regard. But if I were looking mostly for affordability and convenience, I would imagine that Rego Park is going to win out.

Obviously OP is welcome to look in both neighborhoods and probably should.

I used to find Rego Park very boring and grey, but now that I realize the conveniences that it has, and I have had some time to walk down some of the side streets (not just Queens Blvd), it has grown on me.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Rego Park Growth Brings Pluses, Minuses - WSJ.com This is an article from 3 days ago, Wall St. Journal, called "Rego Park Growth Brings Pluses and Minuses"

It discusses the desirability factors of Rego Park vs. Forest Hills and the price differences as well.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:52 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,352 times
You know what, I think I might bring my car now that I think about it. A lot of the places I'm finding include parking and now that I find out the Queensboro Bridge is free and I won't have to pay $9/day in tolls to get to Manhattan, I'm thinking I might as well bring it. My car is only worth like 3 grand anyway, no sense in piddling it away when I can certainly get that much use out of it.

So then, if I were to commute from Rego Park to SoHo every day by car, about how long would it take? How long would the drive be down Queens Boulevard and over the bridge? Is there usually a lot of traffic on the bridge? I'm sure the surface streets in Manhattan would probably be the bulk of the drive though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City