Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:29 AM

6 posts, read 12,340 times

Advertisements

Yes because I have illegal gas lines in my apartment not only that my stove in the aptment is right over the boiler where she lives and thats a ceiler she has a stove down there too clothes a bed a fire could start any minute so yes its endangerment she know this apartment was illegal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 AM

First off I have hpd section 8 and I already got my move package and the apartment look real I never know it was illegal im not trying to cash in I want to stop these greedy landlords I live in a one bed room and was just informed it was illegal its dangerous knowing now if a fire start we going to blow up. So to the one who said I should look for another place I am quick I scared for my childs life first then mines so cashing out is really not what im look for I want her to serve time but I am disable and I pay my rent on time I pay alot and live on a nice area never would image this

Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitmarsNY View Post
if you are so worried about the welfare of your minor, I suggest you apply your efforts towards moving to a new apartment and where there are no hidden dangers. I don't understand how only after finding out it is illegal you worry about "endangering a minor", it's either dangerous or it isn't, or someone needs to tell you it's illegal for you to feel it's dangerous?? I love how everyone is looking for an excuse to cash in
If you seen the apt its nice I live in mill basin canasie I pay alot to live right so to your question I never know my town house was illegal she got hit with a 10000 fine so DOB believes it is I wish I could just getup and move but I am looking for an apartment as we speak I picked up my move package I cant go in a shelter do to the fact I got section 8 so I cant just get up and move but trust me im looking for another one now

Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 AM

Its endangerment because not only is my apt illegal she lives in the ceiler she has stoves and bed clothes right next to the boiler which my stove is right over and my gas line was put up illegal so yes it more dangerous then walking down the street

Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Here's how the DOB typically finds out about about illegal aparments:

New York City Department Of Buildings Begins Cracking Down On Illegal Apartments By Going Undercover « CBS New York

India,
Note the line about the lawyer in this post:

Quote:
Good Luck. Let us know how it goes, I am in the same boat, made the mistake of renting out an illegal cellar apt in my multiple dwelling building (3 means of egress - so its not a firetrap) to a tenant. Offered him money to leave but he declined. I handed him an eviction notice and he has until the 30th of this month to leave. He said he'll see me in court with a lawyer so im sure he will try to get his rent money back, sue and who knows what else. We have a terrible relationship. I dont even accept rent from him anymore. I just want him out.
My Lawyer says we'll take it to court and he'll proabably be given 6 months to leave which is completely ridiculous. It takes a good month to find an apartment, not 6. Amazing how the laws all favor the tenants and kick the landlords right square in the crown jewels.
Regardless I just want him out because he is kind of reckless. He tends to drink and smoke, uses the stove as a heater when its not very cold out (i provide heat and he never called to complain about the lack thereof) so im worried about this guy pitching the house on fire and me getting charged criminally if something happens to him or one of my other tenants. I was even thinking of going to the extreme and reporting the illegal apt to the city and paying the fine to get him out but I backed out of that because there is no guarantee the city will order him to vacate ASAP unless they determine the apt is highly dangerous. With 3 means of egress im not sure they will deem it that so id be paying a fine for nothing perhaps.
What a headache, good luck.

Notice how landlords always try to make it sound like they "accidentally" rented an illegal apartment. This always makes me smile.
They realize and admit it was a "mistake" ONLY after they want the tenant OUT. :

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-16-2012 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
But I guess paying off the bribe is less than going to court and paying fines, etc.
No matter what hes going to have to pay dob and the tenent

Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,642 times
Hello I have a question about citizenship violations. If a person has there citizenship card and prior to getting there card if the person was doing Illegal Business and after the person got there citizenship card they were still doing the Illegal Business, is that person in violation ? Would this mean that the person could possibly be deported back to there country are face a heavy fine if caught ? Also the Illegal business is the renting of there commercial spaces in our building, the entire space has been cut up in small bedrooms with no windows or AC. This person has been doing this for years but now the parties the noise the hallway mess etc etc...

Thank You
Steven

Old 07-11-2014, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,181 times
My husband had on the grand to find a place to live and he went to a to a place on the Grand Concourse that was advertising rooms. He was taken to 1273 Clay Ave on 169th street apt 1-A. He took the room because it was needed fast. I went to that apartment that night to help him get his things together. I noticed that in this room there where pipes on both sides of the room. I couldn't understand why. As I cleaned I looked up and noticed that on the wall near his bed was two fuse boxes. I've never seen those in a bed room. There are other people renting rooms there as well. One of the women who rents the biggest room in the back and pays 180.00 a week told me that the person who is renting theses rooms came in a week ago and took out of my husbands room the sink, stove and fridge they are now placed outside that room. In this apartment there are two or three rooms that do not have windows. The wire on the fridge was cut she told the renters that they have to get their own. Repairs have to be made but the super wont fix. She has several apartments in this building that are illegal as well. My husband pays 170.00 a week. All the renters pay different prices a week. How do we get inspectors to come look at this apartment. What happens if there is a fire what could happen to those people that are renting those rooms? There is a young girl in the second room to the front of the apartment that has a three month old baby.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,728 times
If you know that the apartment was illegal and rented it you might get arrested for deception. 9 out of 10 the judge will rule in favor of the tenant. I am in a illegal dwelling and the owners of the house knew it. I am on disability and it is the mid of winter where there is Ice and snow on the ground and no moving company will move me. the owners of the house have to wait till spring to get me out by law. It is up to the judge and it is a very long process to get me out. Every month that goes by the owner will get slapped with fines and may loose there house.
My advice to you is just give the tents there money and moving expenses and get them out soon as possible. Getting a lawyer will just add on to expenses.
Hope you learned your lesson by not being so greedy. Your lucky the person that u r renting to is not disabled because you would have a hefty law suit on your hands.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:27 AM

12 posts, read 17,457 times
you cannot sue for back rent however you are in within you rights to stop paying your rent, then your landlord will have to try to evict you in court and you will have been living rent-free for many months, you will also be rewarded an amount for relocating, check with your state but in some states it's six times the rent. So sometimes it's best to try to make a deal with your landlord to give you money to move because the landlord could stand to lose a lot more through court, so you can try to make a deal with your landlord to give you enough money to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City