Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Uh, where do you get 1-3%? Nassau is at 10.5% and Suffolk is at 6.8%.

As for Black upper-middle class suburbs, there aren't any ones with a Black majority, but what's wrong if they just blend into other upper-middle class areas. Within the city limits, there's areas like Jamaica Estates and pockets like queensgrl mentioned like Addesleigh Park. Outside the city limits, you have areas in Teaneck, West Orange, South Orange, Wheatley Heights
New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, White Plains ... there are some sprinkled all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
whatever black people do gets shunned by this society.
no wonder why other people come in and take over
after black americans lay the foundation.

smh how racist!!

whatever tho. get money, black people!
don't let racism kick you out of nyc and
don't let it stop you from being free.
fight back!!

Old 04-12-2012, 10:22 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Question:
How far back does your family go back in New York City?

My great-great grandfather was living in Manhattan according to the 1900 Census.
After he died, my great-grandmother and the 8 kids moved to Corona, Queens, where my parents lived when I was born (1960s)

Wondering if there's anyone with deeper roots than mine.
When I was a child I knew 2 women that were cousins. They were born in NYC in the early 1900's and their parents were from Barbados.

They remembered a NYC that had both horse and buggies, and automobiles at the same time.

They used to tell us how it was common on a warm weekend to walk from Harlem to Mt Vernon to visit friends and relatives. Mt. Vernon has had a Black community since the early part of the century.

They said people would walk and you would meet people, and stop on the side of the road, and eat going and coming home. They remembered how friendly everyone was, and how safe it was.

Real history is not only in books, but the stories told by the common person that lived during those times.

Queensgrl you should interview all of your older relatives and compile a book together.

I only know 2 living persons I know of that are Black with family roots in NYS before 1900 is the entertainer Vanessa L Williams. One of her forefathers was a slave in Long Island, was freed, and served in the Civil War.

Another is a woman that I know personally who's roots go back to when NYC was the old Dutch New Amsterdam. She has a Dutch surname, and can trace her ancestry back to that time. There is a small group of Black people that still live in Staten Island that descend from that time also with Dutch surnames. They still live on the land they have owned since that time.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, White Plains ... there are some sprinkled all over.
Yeah, I added the northern part of Mount Vernon, some parts of White Plains and the surrounding areas, and parts of Northwest Yonkers to the post.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
When I was a child I knew 2 women that were cousins. They were born in NYC in the early 1900's and their parents were from Barbados.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM

359 posts, read 329,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
The blacks who unsuccessfully transist are the less formally educated, people with the 24/7 hip hop gear, ebonics, and who adhere to the mentality that speaking and dressing properly is being WHITE!
interesting word choice. not a judgment, but an observation.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
When you include West Indian Immigrants and their children (myself included). I say West Indians make up almost half the black population. With West Africans, I would say a slight majority. However Black Americans are the largest group of black people, but I wouldn't say the majority. The census has me and my family as African American, not Haitian, West Indian or Afro-Caribbean.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
When you include West Indian Immigrants and their children (myself included). I say West Indians make up almost half the black population. With West Africans, I would say a slight majority. However Black Americans are the largest group of black people, but I wouldn't say the majority. The census has me and my family as African American, not Haitian, West Indian or Afro-Caribbean.
You have to report on the Census exactly what you are to be properly enumerated. There is a section for "OTHER" to use if you don't want to be counted as African American. You need to write in exactly what you are to be counted as such.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I hope you guys know the first slave ship that brought slaves to America embarked from Barbados with its precious cargo of Afro Bajan slaves to Virgina. If I'm not mistaken Barbados used to be a slave depot for all British colonies in the Americas including the thirteen colonies. If certain many Afro Americans may have west Indian origin due Barbados being a slave trade hub. Barbados would have been the first stop for many captured slaves by the British especially since Barbados is located on the edge of the west Indies and probably the closest British colony in between Africa and the Americas by position.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 04-12-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 AM

149 posts, read 261,135 times
i would say carribean blacks are the largest black especially when u add the black carribean hispanics. i would say real AAs r decreasing. africans r increasing the fastest and carribeans black are staying steady. in the south most blacks are AA except in miami where most black r west indians or in minneapalis where most are africans or in dc where africans seem to be growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City