Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know Angola was a huge source of slaves for South America for Brazil and the Guiana region of the continent. Portuguese and Dutch traded for slaves in Angola area of Africa and brought many slaves to South America. Portugal dominated the slave trade so Im sure British bought slaves from their Portuguese friends. Also note most slaves did come from Angola many Africans in Brazil are from Angolan descent and Brazil has the largest Afro population in the new world. Many Afro SPanish are either from Sierra Leone or Equatorial Guinea. While Anglo Africans of the U.S and Anglo Phone Caribbean are from Ghana and Nigeria region descent. Portuguese slave trade trounces both Hispano and Anglo in terms of shipment. If im not mistaken I read somewhere the Portuguese bought 7 figure number of slaves to the New World. A British ship carrying slaves to Jamaica or Babados and a Spanish ship carrying slaves to Santo DOmingo cna take weeks to transport slaves from Africa. While a Portuguese slave ship from ANgola can cross the Atlantic within a week to Bahia Brazil from Angola due to short distance between the two continents of Africa and South America. However I could be wrong.

Remember that the British werent well established in the slave trade until the 1700s. The Dutch had ties with the Portuguese and many early slaves to North America were purchased from them. The socalled Gold Coast was also initially more valued as a source of gold and not of slaves. Studies indicate that only 10% came from the Akan regions...I suspect most going to the British West Indian colonies. Nigeria was also a major source, the south east in the entire slave trading period, the south west (Yoruba) during the slave trade and especially after it was abolished and slaves were being illegally trafficked.

Also remember Congo, I guess defined as that area between Angola and Nigeria, so inclusive of the Cameroon, was probably the largest source of slaves to the Spanish Americas. Also because of the Papal Bull Spain was prohibite dfrom directly obtaining slaves from Africa so purchased them directly from the Portuguese and (sometimes) the Dutch. I dont get the impression that the Dutch were involved in Angola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Remember that the British werent well established in the slave trade until the 1700s. The Dutch had ties with the Portuguese and many early slaves to North America were purchased from them. The socalled Gold Coast was also initially more valued as a source of gold and not of slaves. Studies indicate that only 10% came from the Akan regions...I suspect most going to the British West Indian colonies. Nigeria was also a major source, the south east in the entire slave trading period, the south west (Yoruba) during the slave trade and especially after it was abolished and slaves were being illegally trafficked.

Also remember Congo, I guess defined as that area between Angola and Nigeria, so inclusive of the Cameroon, was probably the largest source of slaves to the Spanish Americas. Also because of the Papal Bull Spain was prohibite dfrom directly obtaining slaves from Africa so purchased them directly from the Portuguese and (sometimes) the Dutch. I dont get the impression that the Dutch were involved in Angola.
At sometime during 17th century the Dutch and Portuguese were at war with each other. Dutch captured places like Reciefe and Natal in Brazil, the Dutch also captured Angola region of the Congo. However the Dutch had a short Victory and occupation, soon the Portuguese recaptured control of the South Atlantic however the Dutch were still allowed to trade freely in the Angola Congo region. You also need to understand that small countries like Portugal and Holland can not fight bigger countries of the day like France or the Global Imperial Super power equivlant to todays United States of America, the Spanish Empire with its powerful Navy and Army. Fighting Spain would allow the Dutch to be occupied again by its former Imperial masters who they received independence from AKA Spain. It was only logical for the Dutch to fight a smaller nations like Portugal and try to acquire some of its possesions in the South Atlantic such as Recife and Natal in Brazil, Angola Congo region, Timor in the East Indies. The Dutch even set up a Colony on the edge of South America in present day Guyana and Suriname to **** off nearby Portuguese.

Dutch Loango-Angola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch%E...Portuguese_War

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 05-29-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Your experiences in Queens are similar to mine. Growing up in middle class, black, Laurelton, which was adjacent to Rosedale, which was heavily Italian at the time, we were called names too and were told by our parents not to go there on our bikes. What you have described is what I call "neighborhood memory" and it exists here more than down south, where you have brand new communities that attract people from different places. The common bond is more economic and personal values than race.

Fortunately much of the racist element in NYC is actually gone.

Sorry for going OT.

Interesting. A friend of mine moved into Rosedale about 10years ago, by which time most of the Italians had left. His immediate neighbor, an Italian gave us a ferocious glance when we were helping him move in. When we got inside we bursted out with laughter, teasing him that his arrival was going to drive the last whites out of Rosedale. He then said that he bought the house from an Italian.

Sure enough within a month the racist neighbor had his house up for sale. I guess the consolation of having at least one white neighbor now gone was too much. The Knights of Columbus club nearby also shut down as I guess the last left. There is a thread some where on this forum with some old timers exclaiming that the neighborhood is now "destroyed", despite having low crime and homes in the same state as when Italians lived. Indeed, given that blacks in Queens have higher incomes than whites, its possible that the blacks who replaced them are more educated than they are.

Last edited by caribny; 07-20-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It is well known that in Central Harlem in particular there is a thriving gun trade, guns brought from the south, with the apartments of senior citizens (someone's mother or similar) used as fronts.

I believe even the NY Times once did a story on this.

It is interesting that either the NYPD doesnt know this, or doesnt care. Throwing kids against the wall, guns drawn is more fun than getting a warrant and searching these places, after having observed who is moving in and out and canvassing (or at least attempting to) neighbors for information.

No wonder maybe 800 guns arrive in NYC in a week, yet after 684k frisks only 800 are seized.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The last two posts are why I wouldn't rule out Upstate NY or PA. For instance, Corning Incorporated has been looking for Black engineers/workers for years. Here in Syracuse, the police department has been encouraging people of color to come out and compete for spots. If you are in healthcare, there are jobs all over Upstate in hospitals and health centers(Syracuse's Community Health Center is Black owned). There are other tech jobs at places like Syracuse Research Corporation, General Electric in Schenectady and Harris Communications in Rochester, among other places. Here's a great guide for jobs in Upstate NY: Central New York Jobs

For apartments and homes, these sites could help: Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

Longley Jones Management Corp. - Apartments - Standard Apartment Housing - -

Upstate New York Real Estate

Nothnagle.com - Find a Property
Why then do we hear every gubernatorial election that "they are going to turn around Upstate". Uptate having lost population, even as NYC has had an increase of 1.2 million over the past 30 years, with the surrounding suburbs also gaining population? Isnt this part of the "rust belt" without an auto industry to revitalize it?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:17 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
It is interesting that either the NYPD doesnt know this, or doesnt care. Throwing kids against the wall, guns drawn is more fun than getting a warrant and searching these places, after having observed who is moving in and out and canvassing (or at least attempting to) neighbors for information.

No wonder maybe 800 guns arrive in NYC in a week, yet after 684k frisks only 800 are seized.
What we observed:

NYPD is fully aware. They are also aware that it is tolerated by the surrounding community. People do not realize that the NYPD is usually aware of most things and acts when the time is right. This surprised me.

In this environment, with the power of "no snitchin'" and open discouragement of those who benefit or profit outright, few community people will come forward or pressure the police to act.

Of course, people are not very smart, and they will focus on tangential issues. Stop and frisk, for instance. One would think a community would be outraged by gun-running, shootings of different, innocent, people, but NO. They are outraged by stop and frisk and they solely direct energy there. No outrage about an innocent person killed. I am far from the first person to point this out.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:33 AM

675 posts, read 1,256,493 times
Quote:
Interesting. A friend of mine moved into Rosedale about 10years ago, by which time most of the Italians had left. His immediate neighbor, an Italian gave us a ferocious glance when we were helping him move in. When we got inside with bursted out with laughter teasing him that his arrival was going to drive the laswt whites out of Rosedale. He then said that he bought the house from an Italian. Sure enough within a month the racist neighbor had his hous eup for sale. I guess the consolation of having at least one white neighbor now gone was too much. The Knights of Columbus club nearny also shut down as I guess the last left. There is a thread some where on this forum with some old timers exclaiming that the neighborhood is now "destroyed", despite having low crime and homes in thye same state as when Italians lived. Indeed, given that blacks in Queens have higher incomes than whites, its possible that the blacks who replaced them are more educated than they are.
Right now in 2012 the whites that live in Rosedale live with no fear of racial hatred from the predominantly african-american/west indian black majority as oppose to 30 years earlier when blacks where being openly attacked (with some retaliation as well) both verbally and occasionally physically. And the whole 'once the blacks move in the neighborhood will automatically turn into a wasteland was proven false in Rosedale, don't let the false prophets fool ya the neighborhood is well intact, maintained and while not perfect can match up pretty well with any white-majority working/middle class hood in Queens N.Y.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
What we observed:

NYPD is fully aware. They are also aware that it is tolerated by the surrounding community. People do not realize that the NYPD is usually aware of most things and acts when the time is right. This surprised me.

In this environment, with the power of "no snitchin'" and open discouragement of those who benefit or profit outright, few community people will come forward or pressure the police to act.

Of course, people are not very smart, and they will focus on tangential issues. Stop and frisk, for instance. One would think a community would be outraged by gun-running, shootings of different, innocent, people, but NO. They are outraged by stop and frisk and they solely direct energy there. No outrage about an innocent person killed. I am far from the first person to point this out.

Please dont tell me that the NYPD can harrass innocent youths, despite comunity opposition, yet will tolerate guns being stored in apartments because they are so concerned that the criminal elements in the area will be upset. I find it hard to believe that honest people in Harlem condone the gun trade, given that they are the main victims of it. This is way too cynical.

There has been much conversation of late about innocent victims not generating outrage. Certainly the shooting of the 3 year old in Brooklyn, and the community's response, the numerous marches all over NYC over shootings, numerous gun buy back programs sponsored by a variety of community groups, etc. All those mentoring programs aimed at curtailing black on black crime, even the Eagle Academies now being run by the 100 Black Men.

Yes it is true to say that these efforts dont attract the media attention that an Al Sharpton symposium will generate but then you ought to blame the media for that. Yes the same media which has given Al Sharpton a spot as an analyst on TV. With his own program no less.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Right now in 2012 the whites that live in Rosedale live with no fear of racial hatred from the predominantly african-american/west indian black majority as oppose to 30 years earlier when blacks where being openly attacked (with some retaliation as well) both verbally and occasionally physically. And the whole 'once the blacks move in the neighborhood will automatically turn into a wasteland was proven false in Rosedale, don't let the false prophets fool ya the neighborhood is well intact, maintained and while not perfect can match up pretty well with any white-majority working/middle class hood in Queens N.Y.

Not according to the cohort of folks who exclaim that all black neighborhoods are wastelands populated by gang bangers who do nothing but hang out looking for prey...Also the little spoken about secret that some of the shabbiest houses in these areas are sometimes owned by whites who either cant afford to move, are old, or just dont care as they no longer feel compelled to impress their now majority black neighbors.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Please dont tell me that the NYPD can harrass innocent youths, despite comunity opposition, yet will tolerate guns being stored in apartments because they are so concerned that the criminal elements in the area will be upset. I find it hard to believe that honest people in Harlem condone the gun trade, given that they are the main victims of it. This is way too cynical.
Yes, it is, but understand that we lived in the area under question for nearly a decade. My significant other even longer. Anyone with anything to say that challenges the status quo will be dealt with - swiftly and severely. The honest people have no choice but to keep quiet, believe me, whether this is interpreted as "condoning" or not. I still know many of them and I would not call it that.

Again, and judging from your response, you would be astonished at the things that NYPD already knows. We basically observed that they fear the bad elements in the community, and very much so. Reluctant to be involved beyond surveillance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City