Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:57 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
I don't think no west indian group has faced more discrimination and bullying than Haitians in the 80s, and 90s.

true, and even from west Indians, who as black immigrants, should have known better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 03:28 PM

117 posts, read 137,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
true, and even from west Indians, who as black immigrants, should have known better.

I always figured the reason why this came from west indies was because they were mainly English speakers who all listened to soca and Haitians were the only non English speaking group. Than you add in the fact that they came from an extremely poor nation and didn't attach to things as quickly as the other groups.

Good thing these days most of the Haitian community has climbed the success ladder politically and economically. We aren't the same Haitians that came to NYC in the 70s and 80s. Well I was born in 90 but I can see the upgrades from the Haitian community now compared to back then.

Same goes for all west indies. A lot have climbed the economical and political ladder.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
lol

I think it's well known to most NYC residents that Caribbean Blacks are overrepresented among city government workers. Especially at places like the DOE, HHS, MTA, and clerical work amongst the various government agencies (CUNY, NYPD, Etc.).

Don't know where you got that from. It is often better to either find a source or just say "as far as I know".

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...3/chapter4.pdf

This indicates that just over 15% of native born NYers are in the public sector. The representation of Caribbean immigrants is in line with this, with only Guyanese being SLIGHTLY higher at 17%.

So where do you get the notion that Caribbean blacks are over represented in the public sector? In fact they are UNDER REPRESENTED, when compared to American blacks. Caribbean people, especially females, are over represented in the health care sectors.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
I always figured the reason why this came from west indies was because they were mainly English speakers who all listened to soca and Haitians were the only non English speaking group. Than you add in the fact that they came from an extremely poor nation and didn't attach to things as quickly as the other groups.

Good thing these days most of the Haitian community has climbed the success ladder politically and economically. We aren't the same Haitians that came to NYC in the 70s and 80s. Well I was born in 90 but I can see the upgrades from the Haitian community now compared to back then.

Same goes for all west indies. A lot have climbed the economical and political ladder.

The reason then was because Haitians had the AIDS and Papa Doc stigmas. As West Indians begin to know more about Haitians they actually began to admire them, so there is much less of a stigma now. Many Haitian parents retain "old school" values, even as West Indians have been forced to drop them as they assimilate, so there is this notion that Haitian kids are less likely to be "bad".

I can think of quite a few Haitian/West Indian marriages, this being among a younger more NY raised group. And you are correct that Haitians, who arrived as young people, or who were born in NYC, have achieved quite a bit of upward mobility, as language isn't a barrier that it was for their parents. Haitians are well represented in the medical and engineering fields.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Don't know where you got that from. It is often better to either find a source or just say "as far as I know".

This indicates that just over 15% of native born NYers are in the public sector. The representation of Caribbean immigrants is in line with this, with only Guyanese being SLIGHTLY higher at 17%.

So where do you get the notion that Caribbean blacks are over represented in the public sector? In fact they are UNDER REPRESENTED, when compared to American blacks. Caribbean people, especially females, are over represented in the health care sectors.
There are a lot of Caribbean females who work at HRA. But I don't know why you think this is a bad thing. They have jobs with good benefits and retirement and public sector jobs are not going anywhere.

The healthcare sectors get lots of government funds as well. In fact the city owns a chain of hospitals, HHC. a lot of Caribbeans work there as well as the public health department. It's not a bad thing.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are a lot of Caribbean females who work at HRA. But I don't know why you think this is a bad thing. They have jobs with good benefits and retirement and public sector jobs are not going anywhere.

The healthcare sectors get lots of government funds as well. In fact the city owns a chain of hospitals, HHC. a lot of Caribbeans work there as well as the public health department. It's not a bad thing.

It isn't because it is a good or bad thing. It is that it is INACCURATE to report that Caribbean people are over represented in NYC offices. They are no more represented than are native born NYers.

The fact that they are more likely present, than are other immigrants, is tied to being native English speakers, with high levels of naturalization, for those jobs where being a US citizen is a pre requisite.

Many Caribbean women work in the Jewish controlled healthcare sector. What is more meaningful? That they are Jewish controlled, or that 1/3 of Caribbean females work in health care, and so will be well represented in many aspects of this sector?

Real estate developers get ample support from the government as well. Does that make them government agencies? I think not.

BTW in NYC public sector job growth is much lower than job growth in the private sector, and in fact, until the last year or so, was SHRINKING.

In fact much of the dislocation of the black middle class nationwide, is tied to its over representation in the public sector. The same applies to females. Any population segment, which is over represented in the public sector, is going to have a tough time of it, in this era of "lean" government.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
It isn't because it is a good or bad thing. It is that it is INACCURATE to report that Caribbean people are over represented in NYC offices. They are no more represented than are native born NYers.

The fact that they are more likely present, than are other immigrants, is tied to being native English speakers, with high levels of naturalization, for those jobs where being a US citizen is a pre requisite.

Many Caribbean women work in the Jewish controlled healthcare sector. What is more meaningful? That they are Jewish controlled, or that 1/3 of Caribbean females work in health care, and so will be well represented in many aspects of this sector?

Real estate developers get ample support from the government as well. Does that make them government agencies? I think not.

BTW in NYC public sector job growth is much lower than job growth in the private sector, and in fact, until the last year or so, was SHRINKING.

In fact much of the dislocation of the black middle class nationwide, is tied to its over representation in the public sector. The same applies to females. Any population segment, which is over represented in the public sector, is going to have a tough time of it, in this era of "lean" government.
Blacks and women will remain in public sector and in education in large numbers for quite some time.

Especially if one graduated from a state school. If you graduated from an Ivy League or other top school you may have a shot at decent private sector jobs.

The well paying private sector jobs that are growing in this city are tech, media, some aspects of hospitality, etc. Blacks are severely underrepresented in any high paying private sector field.

Sadly this is slowly changing and those that get through have a Advanced degrees from top schools.

So why are you so hostile to these blacks who you know presently cannot get better jobs? You also know most of them never will.

Government functions will always be there and someone has to do them.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:47 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:

Where are you getting your numbers? What page number? I scrolled through the report and searched but couldn't find a breakdown of public sector city workers.

Is the MTA considered a city or a State agency?

Old 08-16-2015, 03:51 PM

Last edited by wawaweewa; 08-16-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It's not a bad thing if you believe that the City runs a right ship and the vast majority of these jobs are necessary and not just make work to placate certain segments of the population.

Yeh, then it's not a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Blacks and women will remain in public sector and in education in large numbers for quite some time.

Especially if one graduated from a state school. If you graduated from an Ivy League or other top school you may have a shot at decent private sector jobs.

The well paying private sector jobs that are growing in this city are tech, media, some aspects of hospitality, etc. Blacks are severely underrepresented in any high paying private sector field.

Sadly this is slowly changing and those that get through have a Advanced degrees from top schools.

So why are you so hostile to these blacks who you know presently cannot get better jobs? You also know most of them never will.

Government functions will always be there and someone has to do them.
Do you think the government runs an efficient system? Can you claim with a straight face that a substantial portion of city jobs are not just bull**** positions with barely any work to do?

If you've lived in this city as long as I have you'd know that we all personally know of AND have heard of many instances of make work government jobs to claim that it's simply wild speculation.

Have you ever been at the offices of a city agency? lol

I'm not talking about teachers or P.O.'s (on the streets, not desk jockey's) or even traffic agents. I'm talking about when I've personally gone to city offices for something like fingerprints and there are 5 people sitting around for work that literally 1 person can do. One person gives you an app to fill out, 1 person takes your documents, 1 person calls your name, 1 person takes you to the machine, etc.

In the meantime, in the hour and a half that you're there, they're working maybe 15 min. This is not some wild claim.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 08-16-2015 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City