Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:15 PM

32 posts, read 171,872 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm planning on applying for the NYC Teaching Fellowship for June 2010. I'm so nervous I wont get accepted. I have my BBA from Baruch College with a decent GPA and I've been doing office work since I graduated (which I hate) while I tried to figure out what I really want to do. Well, when I came across the teaching fellowship I was thrilled to see that even though I studied management I can still pursue a career in teaching, I didn't know this was possible. I'm also an active member of NY Cares where I try to do as many volunteer projects as possible. I was wondering if anyone can let me know how they got accepted and maybe if I can get any pointers? Please help! I want this more than anything. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,952,899 times
There are a couple here on the NYC forum. I forgot who they were though. I'm a teacher but went the traditional route. Good luck finding a job. It seems to be harder and harder each year. Just don't let the people training you in the Fellows program convince you to be anti-union. Don't fall for that . Teachers here really don't like those who are anti-union.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 PM

11,308 posts, read 18,909,383 times
Ah......

I have quite a bit of experience in this as I have applied 3 times (2004, 2007, and this year). Two of the times (2004 and this year) I got to the interview stage, 2007 I did not. Neither of the 2 interview stages did I pass on to get accepted. My mother-in-law is a retired NYC teacher and knows a lot of the goings on there too.

Without going to into my background too much, I sound very similar to you. You will probably get an interview (I believe they interview about 1/3 - 1/2 of all applicants, write really good essays and I almost assure you you will be interviewed), but it is hard to say what it is that gets you accepted.

I have been told one important component is really wowing them during your 5 minutes that you stand up in front of your interviewer and several other interviewees and do a sample teaching lesson; the important thing being to look knowledgable and confident, I found both in 2004 and 2008 that many in my (especially among the very youngest interviewees, like those straight or a couple of years out of college) tried to do gimmicks like distribute candy to everyone as part of a math lesson or unusually flashy visual aids and I think (but don't vouch for me) they actually kind of frown on that. Keep in mind that even in "easy economy" years, something like 1 in 6 applicants get accepted, and this year I hear it is closer to 1 in 10. You have a better chance of getting in if you qualify for math or science vs. other subjects.

I do want to warn you that while it is the biggest such program in the US, it is the one most affected by the economy and local budget issues. They used to take people in twice/year, but starting this year, they only take them in for the June session, not the January one. Before the Obama stimulus money, there were rumors on many boards that they were going to cancel the program for this year, for many people (including myself) you received a noticed of deferred decision, with a final decision by March or April (in past years you got a simple "up or down" about 5-6 weeks after your interview and it was "rolling" where the sooner your apply, the better your chances). Last June's group was the first group where a significant number of people did not have jobs 6 months after going through the program (though "significant" means like a little under 10%; but earlier in the decade this number was more like 1-2%).

There's also more so than in other cities' programs issues in recent years with the teachers unions (as Rachel84 noted). Many experienced teachers whose schools were closed down have been put on a group called the ATR (I think that stands for Active Teacher Reserve) and like GM workers who are on temporary laidoff, they get paid (though not necessarily their full salary) to be on this list. They are supposed to get first crack at open jobs, but get a higher salary than fellows because of their experience. You can imagine this causes tension and was a partial cause of the bump in "unemployment" among graduating fellows (however, the union did help such fellows go to court against the Board of Ed so that I believe many of them are on the ATR now as well.....if you do not have a job 6 months after completing the program you are normally removed from consideration for jobs but this lawsuit stopped that for this group). There is also a lot of competition for new positions with Teach for America people.

I hear some of the deferred people are starting to get accepted, so I don't want to discourage you from applying, with 9000 new teachers in the 10 years they've done it it can't be bad, but I just wanted to let you know what I know. This year I decided to apply to various other programs as well(locally there is a similar program in Newark), including out-of-town and have had some mixed success (again, more of a numbers game this year as many more are applying, but I have two I'm waiting on that I think I will actually get accepted to, they are not in the NY area though).

Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM

32 posts, read 171,872 times
Rachael - Thank you... I wish I knew I wanted to be a teacher when I applied for college, but I can't go back in time. And I'm am so not anti-union... even my husband works for DSNY and my mother works for the NYC Transit. I have nothing against those who are, I try not to judge. What grade/subject do you teach?

7 wishes - Wow, I'm sorry you've been going at it for so long, just shows that you deserve it more than anyone. I am curious about your background though. I'm sure you'll get accepted this year, what other programs did you apply to? I can't leave the city b/c my husband works for sanitation and he's got at least 17 yrs left so we're stuck. Thank you for going into such detail, you scared me a bit but I'm a worry-wart anyway.

Again, thank you both so much.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,685,069 times
I was a fellow. I was accepted for the June 2006 cohort. It was the best decision of my life. I am still teaching in Queens, but finished my MA degree last year. I went into the program right of college, so I was 21; I just didn't have my BA in education.

You will probably get the interview; however, like someone mentioned above, it is very competitive and hard to get accepted.

During the interview, you have to do a writing sample, 5 minute sample lesson, one on one interview, and a group discussion. My advice for the 5 minute sample lesson is to pick a simple concept that you can explain easily. I explained the difference between proper nouns. You don't want to pick a concept that is too complex because of the time. You want to have a handout or something to give out. Assign homework, ask questions, walk around, etc. Any other tips ask me and I'll let you know. You need to show that you are confident and prepared. Being prepared is key. Practice it over and over again.

Your first year is difficult, but that will be the case even if had a BA in education. You really learn the job by doing it- that is the ONLY way!! I love my job though.

This is a hard time for people trying to find a job though. It's really ok for those already in the system. I'm probably transferring and didn't really have that hard of a time finding a school though. Elementary- forget about it. Science, math, and special education are always needed though.

Any questions, let me know. I could talk about this forever!

EDIT: Also, the person above mentioned a lot of problems with the program recently. A lot of people weren't getting hired. It's just a different market out there now; it's changed even from 2006 when I joined.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There are a couple here on the NYC forum. I forgot who they were though. I'm a teacher but went the traditional route. Good luck finding a job. It seems to be harder and harder each year. Just don't let the people training you in the Fellows program convince you to be anti-union. Don't fall for that . Teachers here really don't like those who are anti-union.

No one in the program EVER tried to convince us to be anti-union. Fellows get a bad rep with some teachers because of the free masters. We do pay part of it though ($90 is taken out of every paycheck).

Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Then I don't know where the other teachers get this from...? Maybe it's just their personalities and coming from previous careers. I'm not saying all are. I've met some nice fellows who like the union.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Then I don't know where the other teachers get this from...? Maybe it's just their personalities and coming from previous careers. I'm not saying all are. I've met some nice fellows who like the union.

Because some teachers get jealous about the free masters. It's mostly older teachers who have a problem (from my experience). Fellows tend to get a bad rep. People think they are self-righteous, too idealistic, know it alls, only out for a free degree and then want to move on, anti-union, etc.

These are mostly untrue and/or generalizations.

Many fellows aren't career changers, and are like myself - straight out of college.

Fellows being anti-union is a HUGE generalization. As a former fellow who went to grad school with only fellows, works with other fellows, I can vouch that most fellows are not anti-union, and I can say that in our training we were never taught to be anti-union. That is silly.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Fair enough. I'm all for supporting Fellows who plan on staying in Teaching for the rest of their careers.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm all for supporting Fellows who plan on staying in Teaching for the rest of their careers.

I'd say a good amount do. I know the percentages of Fellows leaving teaching is pretty much the same as the percentage of overall people who leave teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City