Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times

Advertisements

I'm from L.A., and I also lived in Chicago for years. I always wanted to check out NYC.

Just a few questions about NYC and a few questions to New Yorkers.

What is the Mexican population there? We are everywhere in L.A. and in Chicago aswell.

I love hip hop, especially east coast(despite where I'm from, thanks Chicago). How's the hip hop scene over there?

Now to NY'ers. What do you guys think of L.A.? And do you think a city has to be supertall to be considered urban. Some parts feel urban. Still it's hard to get over the fact that the majority is a collection of suburbs. I mean, my neighborhood is suburb but still has an urban feel. It's like mixed. We have graffiti, warehouses down the street, train's passing everyday and around the block there's a corner store. So despite the suburban look, we got a big urban feel here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
NYC has a population of Mexicans but unlike those cities mentioned they do not dominate. NYC has a very diverse Latin American population. Similar to Miami.

As for Hip Hop, NYC has a solid scene. One of the biggest genres/lifestyles.

And LA. NYC is a lot more walkable and urban. Less to do with height, more to do with density and how the city is designed, edestrian oriented versus auto-centric.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
NYC has a population of Mexicans but unlike those cities mentioned they do not dominate. NYC has a very diverse Latin American population. Similar to Miami.

As for Hip Hop, NYC has a solid scene. One of the biggest genres/lifestyles.

And LA. NYC is a lot more walkable and urban. Less to do with height, more to do with density and how the city is designed, edestrian oriented versus auto-centric.
That's cool. I like diversity.

Sounds like the radio stations would be alot better overthere.

And true, I'm happy about the news I've been reading though. Talking about making L.A. rely less on cars. That's gonna be a tough job but I hope the city pulls through.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,184 times
I've only met two Mexican people from New York in my life. The rest of the hispanos that I know from there are all Puerto Rican or Dominican. I don't think there are really any divisions between them though.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 AM

56 posts, read 124,152 times
The Mexican population in NYC has been growing exponentially over the last 20 years or so. In the beginning of the mass migration, the Mexicans blended in to other predominantly Latino neighborhoods, such as East Harlem, Corona, or Washington Heights. Sunset Park in Brooklyn is now heavily Mexican, as is Corona.

Vicente Fernandez sells out Madison Square Garden at least once a year, and Los Tigres del Norte sold out the Kingsbridge Armory a frew months ago.

My experience as an ESL teacher is that most of the Mexican population in NYC is from small towns in Puebla and Guerrero.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM

I wonder which city is actually better for them.

Either way, I always admired NYC. I've always tried to find the feel I get from seeing videos, music and pictures from that city by checking out parts of L.A.

I love L.A., it's my home, downtown skyline is beautiful and it's got it's urban feel in many areas. I just wish it wasn't so flat. Wasn't so Hollywood and didn't have that gang rep.

Ya, comming from Chicago after 8 years can have that affect on your mind when you see downtown Chicago.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
I've only met two Mexican people from New York in my life. The rest of the hispanos that I know from there are all Puerto Rican or Dominican. I don't think there are really any divisions between them though.
I think the is a big age gap among most Mexicans in NYC. Think parents and children, not many in their 20s. I could be wrong. Based off my personal interactions.

There are many Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in NYC, neither is a majority. Latin Americans coexist very well in this city. There are some silly rivalries between PR v DR but more name calling and jokes then anything. Dominicans are more segregated predominantly Upper Manhattan/West Bronx, you can find PRs among every income strata and virtually every neighborhood. If anything the biggest issue is DR v AAs, seen some ugly situations.

There are also many other Central and South Americans, even Cubans scattered everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City