Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,606,445 times

Advertisements

Indeed...the NY Times article link I cited above includes detailed descriptions of the South Bronx, Long Island City, Red Hook, Jersey City, and Peekskill artist communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 11:26 PM

149 posts, read 458,790 times
That article was fantastic! Good stuff. I've been doing some research for a lot of those same aread. It tough because everything is either considerably outside our pricerange or has the possibility of being a so-so area to live. I suppose that's a problem everywhere these days though. I'm going to keep on reading up!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:49 PM

Well, a lot of artists do move to "so-so" areas due to expense and space considerations. Many times these areas become more desirable (and unaffordable) after a substantial influx of artists "pave the way." The most desirable and pricey outer borough outposts are usually the closest to Manhattan: DUMBO, Williamsburg, LIC, etc.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:58 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmj View Post
I was curious on some of the different neighborhoods where there is a large artist population. I know that obviously it's scattered throughout the city and boroughs but let me know what you guys think. By artists I mean Actors,Musicians,Painters, etc. Pretty much every type of artists excluding Hip Hop artists...j/k. Tell me where you guys/gals think is the most populated areas (manhattan and the boroughs) for the artists to live. Also I should add not the ones who are multi-millionaires. Thanks!
hey dont exclude the rich they need art too.
why do you think people feel safe enough to spend all their time doing art?
they created a buffer so the wolves dont get them. then they can paint.
trouble with art colonies is that a lot of wanabees are attracted to them.
i still dont think of myself as an artist and people tell me i am pretty good.
actually i am pretty good.
i know a number of people that are semi pro and dont perceive themselves as "artists" and they are much better than me.
a few that do perceive themselves as artists tend to get a big head and be a pain in the butt.
but that is besides the point.
art is doing not being.
anytime you find art classes you can bet you will find a few real artists.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-15-2007, 12:22 AM

LOL--do you know a lot of artists?

There are a lot of poseurs who are more into the "artsy" lifestyle but are not really serious/ working artists--though they try to look the part. Many struggle for awhile and quit; others (good, bad, and mediocre) are "discovered" by critics and galleries and made to feel like hot s*it. Ever see the Whitney Biennial? Some of the stuff is awful, but it's very prestigious to be accepted.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:38 AM

149 posts, read 458,790 times
WoW! I cannot wait to leave Southern California! Anyway, I was not trying to exclude anybody. My only point in saying what I did was simply for the fact that we could not afford to live where they do. We struggle to make it now so I don't see us moving up a couple economic classes just because we are moving east.

I don't know a lot of "artists" in the original sense of the word. Only the one I live with! Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY here is an actor. The waitress, the cook, the guy at the gas station, everyone. Whether they have ever been on stage or camera makes little difference what people choose to label themselves here. So I'm familiar with the attitude or the 'wannabe' syndrome. But I don't think there's much to do about it so it does not really matter to me. Cream always rises to the top if you know what I mean.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:40 PM

641 posts, read 2,014,965 times
Lots of trustafarian/"artists" in Willimasburg and the LES. The Village and SOHO also have many of these creatures.

Beacon NY, Red Hook NY, and even Buffalo have great local artist communities. But the creative classes are leaving NYC, replaced by Guliani's dream of Applebee's, Wal-Marts, and Olive Gardens for the tourists...mixed in with the transplanted suburbanites who can afford Manhattan. A lot of longtime local NYC is collectively scratching their heads wondering...what the hell happened to NYC???

Old 09-15-2007, 12:57 PM

LOL, JiminCT! Most of the former "artist" areas are now completely unaffordable unless you've really made it big already. The major SoHo galleries have moved on to Chelsea, and SoHo is more of a shopping district now than anything else, though still charming--galleries are still there, but it's not the "hot" spot it used to be.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,160,816 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bushwick, Brooklyn. It seems like everyone i know from my MFA program has graduated and gotten studio space in Bushwick. Also I think there are lots of alternative gallery spaces and art happenings there. I'm sure a google search will turn up lots of stuff.

Also some people are moving into Bed-Stuy and near the Franklin Ave stop in Brooklyn (maybe considered Crown Heights - I'm not sure).

Also check the Gowanus neighborhood in Brooklyn for studio space- though that's not cheap anymore either.

Greenpoint has a bunch of loft buildings too but the rents are high there as well - $1000 for 600 sq feet of studio (work only) space is a GOOD price these days.

There are lots of artists living in Queens as well but outside of Long Island City, I can't think of that many areas in Queens that have artist-work-space situations.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:54 AM

Henna--yes, Bushwick was mentioned on another thread where I posted a link to a NY Daily News article on still affordable housing. One poster's response was something to the effect that you'd have to have a death wish to live there (lol). But of course, that's where artists go--where others fear to tread--until enough artists move in and then the hood eventually gets much more expensive and "desirable."

I don't think the OP is looking for studio space per se, but that's good info to know. Glad there's still some affordable spots for creatives in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City