Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,065 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for either a studio or 1br apartment in the bronx, i can spend up to $1200 for an apartment (i have family in woodlawn, riverdale, throgs neck, so i'd like to be close so no opinions on jersey or queens/brooklyn please!)

I grew up in Inwood then moved to yonkers with my mom 5 yrs ago and I just landed a nice job near times sq so i'm looking to get into a nice neighborhood in the bronx.

I'm looking at morris park and pelham parkway (moreso pelham) but I'm not too sure about which areas to live around. I'd like to be close to the subway (obv) so if anyone whose from those areas can steer me into a particular area to look around that would be great!

sorry for the long post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
If working in Times Sq you might want to be as close as possible to the Pelham Parkway stop of the 2 at White Plains Road and Pelham Parkway.You might want to check out the part of the neighborhood I live
in : it is bounded by Waring Ave to the North,White Plains Road to the East,Pelham Parkway North on the South and Bronx Park on the West.Around Barker,Olinville,Thwaites Place,Reiss Place,etc.It's a little less dense and quieter than South of Pelham Parkway yet still only a few blocks from the subway stop and all the stores and right opposite the Botanical Garden.

Bronx Park East and Reiss Place,Bronx,Ny - Google Maps

I really like the area around Williamsbridge Road to the South of Pelham Parkway too as there are nice restaurants there but you would have to take the 5 and then the 2 at 180th st to get to Times Sq from there.Not really a big deal maybe but 1 train is always better than having to switch all the time.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Willia...DE1uluXFVazAKw

Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 PM

127 posts, read 236,162 times
Is $1200 too cheap for these areas or is it about average?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironkid1 View Post
Is $1200 too cheap for these areas or is it about average?
It's pretty average.Studios are from 900 to 1,000 and 1 br's from 1,100 to 1,300.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,450 times
Default Apartment

I would say you can checked out any where near Paulding Avenue. I think the address I am thinking about is 2121 Paulding Avenue. The train is right downstairs and two blocks from Williamsbridge Road and Pelham Parkway. Also, on the north side of Pelham Parkway there are many private homes where you can rent. My brother will be renting the top floor to his private home since he lives in a studio downstairs and has a house in PA. I am not sure what the rent is but can find out. Based on your description of where you have lived I may even know you If you are interested let me know and I can get you more details. It has two bedrooms upstairs, nice closets and bathroom, downstairs nice size living room, great kitchen and terrace.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 11,065 times
Since this is a relatively new thread I thought I'd pop in here. I'm starting at Einstein in the fall and looking to rent around the Morris Park area for June 1st and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to rent in the area? I'm doing the standard (Craigslist, PadMapper, etc.) but I was just wondering if this is an area where realtors are a better way to go? Thanks!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
I would disagree with being close to the 2 subway stop by Pelham Parkway. The 2 train runs local ALL THE WAY to 96th st, whereas if you catch the 5 train at Pelham Parkway, it runs express at E180th all the way to 42nd. You can then choose to take the shuttle (1 stop) to times square or walk. It is much much faster than the 2 train straight down...you will literally slit your wrists from the long commute and the very crowded train.

Live close to the 5 train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(PS it also goes express coming back north, while the 2 is local).

Last edited by SobroGuy; 04-19-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyesc08 View Post
Since this is a relatively new thread I thought I'd pop in here. I'm starting at Einstein in the fall and looking to rent around the Morris Park area for June 1st and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on how to rent in the area? I'm doing the standard (Craigslist, PadMapper, etc.) but I was just wondering if this is an area where realtors are a better way to go? Thanks!
You will likely miss a lot of possibilities if you confine your search to internet sites.Many apartments in the neighborhood get rented either by "apartment available" signs on buildings or through small,neighborhood real estate offices who rarely advertise.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 11,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
You will likely miss a lot of possibilities if you confine your search to internet sites.Many apartments in the neighborhood get rented either by "apartment available" signs on buildings or through small,neighborhood real estate offices who rarely advertise.
Thanks! That's exactly the info I was looking for. I wasn't sure what the best approach would be but my boyfriend and I will probably start going up there on the weekends to check out the area. Any recommendations on where to look? I'd like to be able to walk to work and feel safe walking back late if I have to but also be within a 15 minute walk to the train, since I know Einstein is more accessible by bus than train.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would disagree with being close to the 2 subway stop by Pelham Parkway. The 2 train runs local ALL THE WAY to 96th st, whereas if you catch the 5 train at Pelham Parkway, it runs express at E180th all the way to 42nd. You can then choose to take the shuttle (1 stop) to times square or walk. It is much much faster than the 2 train straight down...you will literally slit your wrists from the long commute and the very crowded train.

Live close to the 5 train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(PS it also goes express coming back north, while the 2 is local).
You're crazy. Problem with your advice is that the 5 express trains run from the 2 and 5 train stop at Pelham Parkway and White Plains Road that you are advising not to be close to.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-19-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City