Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 AM

207 posts, read 513,981 times

Advertisements

Shankapotomus > thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 AM

20 posts, read 29,651 times
Thanks for all the replies.. i'm a little confused though by the differing opinions though lol.

I'll check out everything everyone said. I'm leaning towards giving citizenbikes a shot.

Also, I understand that if I got a bike under $100, it's not going to be perfect. If it's for under $100, i just need it to last me a few months to a year.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times
what kind of bike do you want?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM

20 posts, read 29,651 times
One that I can ride around brooklyn.. or even into the city on occasion. Nothing special

Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
One that I can ride around brooklyn.. or even into the city on occasion. Nothing special
So, something inconspicuous, that you wouldn't care too much if it was stolen?

People sell bikes at the flea market in Williamsburg, and they also fix bikes there. I'd look there or roam around the area. Lots of people ride bikes in that neighborhood you might find someone selling something.

Brooklyn Flea

Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I never had a problem with any of my cheap bikes. It's different if you are into mountain biking or riding out of town a few hundred miles for a weekend trip. For a spin on pavement in the neighborhood or in the park, the cheap bikes seem to be fine as long as you get them tuned up every so often. You can buy/change whatever tires you want. I have a womens' bike I'd like to get rid of. It probably needs some oiling, a little tightening, and certainly needs air, but since I keep my bikes inside, this bike and the others never rusted. They look old fashioned, but they work.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,083 times
I bought my first bike in NYC for $70 from a thrift store in Bushwick and I rode it for a couple years. It was really heavy, rusty, had some mechanical issues and didn't handle very well. On the other hand, I never worried about anyone stealing it. I eventually upgraded to pretty nice used bike I got for $150 on Craigslist, I'm still riding four years later.

Moral of the story:

-The most important consideration when you're buying your first bike is that it goes when you pedal it. You don't really need anything nice.

-You can get deals on Craigslist if you wait around and jump on them when they show up.

-You get more bang for you buck buying used than new.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:36 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
I heard that they make bikes for riding around in Brooklyn.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:22 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,253,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.phillips View Post
I haven't ridden a bike in 10 years

No problem, once you learned the technique you never forget.

A helmet is a must though.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
No problem, once you learned the technique you never forget.

A helmet is a must though.
Yes, I can't stress this issue more than anything else, and buy a good helmet, spend money on it to get one that fits well and feels comfortable. If you get a cheap helmet that you don't like, you are more inclined to not use it. I have a friend who wasn't wearing a helmet when she was hit and survived, but after coming out of her coma she could no longer taste anything and has partial brain damage. Another friend of mine was wearing her helmet when she was hit and that doctor informed her that if she wasn't wearing it she probably would of died in the accident.

So yes, buy and wear a helmet at all times when biking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: