Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times

Advertisements

If you guys had waited another 8 mins he could've used your unlimited metrocard also.
You didnt wait or attempted to buy another sigle ride, so there you have it. You guys pay your 'stupid tax' and move on

Old 04-08-2012, 11:47 AM

16 posts, read 122,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
If you guys had waited another 8 mins he could've used your unlimited metrocard also.
You didnt wait or attempted to buy another sigle ride, so there you have it. You guys pay your 'stupid tax' and move on
The regulation is 18 mins per swipe, and there was no machine or attendant at the station. No one but you used the the term "Stupid Tax". And I thought it was evident that the discussion was closed after I thanked everyone for their help.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphyr View Post
...........And I thought it was evident that the discussion was closed after I thanked everyone for their help.
Lol,welcome to city- data.We have the power to create threads but no control whatsoever over their direction or when or how they will end.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-08-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 04:19 PM

12 posts, read 30,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Lol,welcome to city- data.We have the power to create threads but no control whatsoever over their direction or when or how they will end.
Welcome to the internet, really.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphyr View Post
Shouldn't my citation then be "Allowed other rider to evade fair, buy doubling up with the use of an unlimited" The citation they gave me about avoiding legal payment of the fare seems as if I jumped the turnstile all together. It just doesn't seem right to me. I am just trying to be as technical as a judge.

Does the citation matter?

Also, how do I deal with the officers lying about me not giving a social, or being self-employeed. I feel that the self-employeed part will only bring me more problems in the future. Since if I pay the fare, its like agreeing that everything the officer wrote was correct, but wouldn't that warrant an a possible audit report from NY State as I just received my state refund check?

Also, could the fine be voided altogether due to creative manipulation of words & addition of non-existent facts by the authorities (such as the refused social, and self-employeed). And the ejection report for my friend as he was not kicked out of the station.
What you could try to do is see if they have some kind of video recording. It would capture your friend trying to swipe (but then again, it wouldn't see that it had a "Read Error". It could've just been insufficient funds for all they know), and it would capture the officers giving you the citation but not asking any questions. (And maybe it would capture the officer in the background pretending to be a child offender as a bonus)

As far as your chances, I'd say they're pretty slim unfortunately. You could bring the MetroCard that your friend swiped to show that it had a problem, and you could bring your receipt for the Unlimited MetroCard, but I'm pretty sure they made a rule against jumping the turnstile, even if there's a problem with your MetroCard (I think they actually caught A-Rod doing it, and it was for the same reason), so it technically was against the letter of the law (though not the spirit of the law)

It sucks that the MTA is allowed to do this, but what can you do?

Old 04-08-2012, 04:42 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
What you could try to do is see if they have some kind of video recording. .....
There most likely is a video recording.I think they make a point of recording while they are setting up a sting operation.Whether it will show anything to help the OP is doubtful.May be just the opposite.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There most likely is a video recording.I think they make a point of recording while they are setting up a sting operation.Whether it will show anything to help the OP is doubtful.May be just the opposite.
We have pretty much given up any hope since I doubt the MTA will give us video evidence before the fine is due. It seems we have been screwed yet again by the MTA, but when they make a mistake it's irrelevant. I have a different friend whose unlimited stopped working after 1 week (last summer), and she has yet to receive a refund... go figure.

They make the fine low enough and fighting it complicated enough that most people have no option, but to just pay the fee.

Last edited by Zaphyr; 04-08-2012 at 08:37 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 PM

Default Why I cant wait to leave NYC

The unfair justice system is beyond ridiculous. I just got a phone call from my friend that was going to work, and he had to call me to tell me something that happened while he was on the train that was just beyond ridiculous; considering my current predicament with the MTA. He was on the uptown q train from Coney Island to Times Square and while the train was making its way through Brooklyn (above ground) he said the train was filled by a gang, involved in obvious illicit gang activity that was being extremely reckless walking through the cars countless times (if enforced a $75.00 fine each time) and openly smoking weed on the train. He said they were smoking cigarettes also a ($50.00 fine) and weed and rolling up on the train. He also said that two of the gang members urinated in between the cars of the moving train another ($50.00 fine). He said the smell filled all the cars, yet the authorities did nothing and waited until the train hit Times Square to take action. It takes 45 minutes for the q to reach Times Square from where he took the train.

He said it was moments like these that made him hate the city even more. They stretch reasons to fine people for petty things, yet when they have opportunities to make the city back over $10,000 in fines and violations from real criminals they hesitate to take action. Not only that but who knows the people that the gang could have injured.

This ridiculous incident reminded me of when there was a successful suicide on the 6 lines right in front of my train, and the train stops at the station at 9:50pm and I see police walk by with bags and gloves and the train is shut down we are not let outside and the lights on the whole train go out for 10 minutes. I was locked in darkness with complete strangers for 10 whole minutes with no way out. How that is legal is beyond me ...

This city is a cesspool of bull****. Graduation can not come any sooner.

Last edited by Zaphyr; 04-08-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Can you explain to me how you knew what was going on with the cuffed "cop child-molester"? I don't have that cop-figuring out physic ability that most NY'ers seem to have. Just looking for a new skill. Help a brother out.

You know, sometimes I feel like I didn't even grow up here. I'm like the only CityData NYC poster who can't immediately figure out everything about the police as soon as I see them. Crazy.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Can you explain to me how you knew what was going on with the cuffed "cop child-molester"? I don't have that cop-figuring out physic ability that most NY'ers seem to have. Just looking for a new skill. Help a brother out.

You know, sometimes I feel like I didn't even grow up here. I'm like the only CityData NYC poster who can't immediately figure out everything about the police as soon as I see them. Crazy.
We were taken to a small both so they could check our ID's for warrants. As soon as we entered there was a man in civilian dress with his hands behind his back looking at the officers that entered behind us, and he was saying "NO PLEASE officer, I didn't touch that kid.. I swear!" My friend and I just look at each other in horror that we had to wait in the same location as an arrested child molester. Like seriously now a real criminal knows what we look like... just what we needed?!

But then the other cops received a call, and that was when the guy pretending to be the child offender brought his hands forward and we saw he was not handcuffed and only pretending! He then walked up and left with the other cops to take the call proving he was indeed a cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City