Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this the most pretentious nonsense you've ever seen?
Yes. Yes it is. 7 77.78%
Indeed 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,634,802 times

Advertisements

I don't like pretentious people either, but you are over exaggerating in regards to this particular girl.

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Girl is not from Brooklyn. I was not from California. And plenty of people make a difference every day. An enormous difference. Astronomically more than this girl will ever make. Yet they don't feel the need to film it. She brings this on herself.
Where you are from, in idiomatic English, can mean where you were born, where you were raised or where you currently live and are established, depending on context. When that is not clear, one can specify by saying "Where I'm originally from".

Back in my day the NYC public schools taught one to be aware of the nuances of the English language.

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
She didn't say she was born and raised. Most people can assume that she's not from the area. So now you are on to technicalities. Obviously no one is feeling your hate. And you clearly wanted it to be a hate thread since the only two options are yes it is and indeed. See ya.

Moderator cut: Orphaned statement - refers to a portion of quote that was removed

Listen, I dunno if you're from the area or not. And I really don't care. I already explained that there is absolutely nothing wrong with folks moving anywhere in the world that they want to move to. But when little Meghan throws this video up on the interwebz, she's gonna catch some flak. Why this upsets you to the point of asking a mod to close the thread is comic genius. I hope you're not tearing up, friend...

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-12-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I know a few days ago I made a joke to this chick from Spain shes a vegan, I told her I like monsanto products.
you can be a vegan and not be against GMO, and you can be an all natural, organic only person who eats meat (free range organic meat, of course)

And you can even favor GMO and dislike Monsanto (cause of their particular approach to protecting their intellectual property in GMO seeds).

Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Where you are from, in idiomatic English, can mean where you were born, where you were raised or where you currently live and are established, depending on context. When that is not clear, one can specify by saying "Where I'm originally from".

Back in my day the NYC public schools taught one to be aware of the nuances of the English language.

If you ask any normal, living person what "where you are from" means, it only means one thing. Where you were born and spent your formative years. Where you currently reside and if you are a "new yorker" or "californian" or "texan" is a completely different thing. You can stop with that...

Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Quote:
Is that when the schools were actually good?
Must have been a long long time ago.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
If you ask any normal, living person what "where you are from" means, it only means one thing. Where you were born and spent your formative years. Where you currently reside and if you are a "new yorker" or "californian" or "texan" is a completely different thing. You can stop with that...

no sir. If Im at a conference in Chicago, and someone says "lets go around the room, and tell us your name and where you are from" The correct answer for me is probably "DC". If it were at a party while visiting Chicago, the answer would be "Northern Virginia, right near DC". OTOH at the seder I was at the other night, in Alexandria, I said I was from Brooklyn.

To have answered "from brooklyn" in the earlier two contexts would be confusing. "You're from brooklyn, oh, did you vote for Bloomberg" "Im ORGINALLY from brooklyn, I actually haven't lived there since Ed Koch was mayor"

Old 04-10-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Is that when the schools were actually good?
Must have been a long long time ago.

Yes, they were good. It was in the 1960s and 1970s.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
no sir. If Im at a conference in Chicago, and someone says "lets go around the room, and tell us your name and where you are from" The correct answer for me is probably "DC". If it were at a party while visiting Chicago, the answer would be "Northern Virginia, right near DC". OTOH at the seder I was at the other night, in Alexandria, I said I was from Brooklyn.

To have answered "from brooklyn" in the earlier two contexts would be confusing. "You're from brooklyn, oh, did you vote for Bloomberg" "Im ORGINALLY from brooklyn, I actually haven't lived there since Ed Koch was mayor"

You even admitted yourself right there that the answer is "probably DC". You're not even sure if that is the right answer. The reason you said that is because it's not. You live in DC or NOVA, but you're from Brooklyn. Why not just say that? If someone brought up local elections, you just say "no I don't live there anymore" and move on. It takes 3 seconds.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:33 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
She is from Baltimore, and currently resides in Brooklyn. She should have said she's from Baltimore, Maryland but to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City