Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this the most pretentious nonsense you've ever seen?
Yes. Yes it is. 7 77.78%
Indeed 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:01 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
That doesn't make it true that she is "from" here. Your context argument is silly in this circumstance. Why people can't just own where they're from is very odd. There is no pride apparently.
I agree, she should Rep where she come from and not where she currently lives, a lot of transplants do that for some reason, I guess its for the shockvalue.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think my context "argument" represents actual English usage. Again, look at the widespread use of "I am originally from X", a usage that would not be necessary if "I am from X" always meant "I am originally from X"

Again, let's say when I was living in CA all those years, I met a girl. We were walking in the park. She asked me where I was from. I wouldn't say "I'm from Oakland".

You're being silly, and not bring honest about how people actually talk.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Well she wouldn't be lying, so that would work yeah. Or "based out of Brooklyn". How difficult is that to do?

by the same token, how difficult would it be for you to not post about this stuff? Not difficult at all, I imagine, but nonetheless you have some reason for doing so.

It wouldnt be difficult for her to say "based out of Brooklyn" but that would be terribhle, and yes, pretentious usage. Likes she works at the brooklyn office of beekeepers consulting group.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
"

That would imply something totally different.

Client in Omaha "Where are you from"

"Im based out of our Alexandria office, but I currently live in baltimore."

"wow, thats a long commute - you dont sound like you have a maryland accent"

"Thats cause I Brooklyn is my hometown"

You're still trying to make things sound more difficult than they have to. You can stop now.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
I think my context "argument" represents actual English usage. Again, look at the widespread use of "I am originally from X", a usage that would not be necessary if "I am from X" always meant "I am originally from X"
That's valid. If I go, say to Miami Moderator cut: Inappropriate, and they be like where you from, I'd say, I'm from NJ, but originally from Russia.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-12-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Again, let's say when I was living in CA all those years, I met a girl. We were walking in the park. She asked me where I was from. I wouldn't say "I'm from Oakland".
thats a context where its OBVIOUS you live and work in California, and she would be curious where you are originally from.

If Megan had just met someone for brunch on Park Slope, it would be natural to say she is from Maryland. But this is an internet video, viewable by people around the world. In that context "where are you from" usually means "where do you live now"

Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
You're still trying to make things sound more difficult than they have to. You can stop now.

its not difficult at all. Its just that this whole thread is based on your incorrect beliefs about the English language.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
by the same token, how difficult would it be for you to not post about this stuff? Not difficult at all, I imagine, but nonetheless you have some reason for doing so.
Not difficult at all. However, once again on the rare occasion that I do, it's worth it to see folks such as yourself get all flustered about it.

Quote:
It wouldnt be difficult for her to say "based out of Brooklyn" but that would be terribhle, and yes, pretentious usage. Likes she works at the brooklyn office of beekeepers consulting group.
No, it wouldn't come off any more pretentious than making the "look at me" video does on it's own.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
thats a context where its OBVIOUS you live and work in California, and she would be curious where you are originally from.

If Megan had just met someone for brunch on Park Slope, it would be natural to say she is from Maryland. But this is an internet video, viewable by people around the world. In that context "where are you from" usually means "where do you live now"
This is an Internet video where she wants the world to know how "Brooklyn" she is, and nothing more. I've been around enough of these folks over the past 10 years to know this by now.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
This is an Internet video where she wants the world to know how "Brooklyn" she is, and nothing more. I've been around enough of these folks over the past 10 years to know this by now.
I didnt watch the video beyond the line where she says where she is from so I dont know.

I can see where if you are beekeeping in brooklyn, the fact that you are doing it in brooklyn is relevant. I mean this whole locavore food thing is about local food, I guess.

and Im glad folks are proud to be from Brooklyn. Sure beats folks being ashamed to be from Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City