Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 10,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I'm definitely NOT familiar with Elmhurst or the 110th pct overall, but if we're going by stats, I gotta say the violent crimes (robberies and fed assaults) definitely outweigh the 19th precinct.
110th covers 3 different neighborhoods. Lefrak being a huge private project. You need to factor that in when you are looking at those stats.

No one is claiming Elmhurst is safer than Forest Hills. Stats wise, I said Forest Hills was the safest of all nabes. And yes, gangs are here, and there, and everywhere. I agree with this. Just pointing out that Elmhurst is not a hood and it's actually pretty decent and damn convienent... to beat a dead horse.

Elmhurst Boundary Map
elmhurst queens - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Certain parts of Elmhurst should remain yellow... To say ALL of elmhurst is completely safe at all times is a bit of a stretch... Remember everyones comfort level is different... Some may find parts of Jackson Heights, Corona, Jamaica, etc. perfectly safe because they have experience with these areas but if we're creating a safety map for a traditional New Yorker or transplant, etc. who may not have lived in an area like that... some form of street smarts or common sense is required... I think that the way you had Elmhurst was pretty much on point...

People need to remember, yellow doesn't mean bad it just means don't be dumb at night time which should really be a given for any neighborhood but especially one that has had a history of gang problems even though it has cleaned up a great deal in recent years... Same situation goes for Sunset park...
Exactly, Junction Blvd for example should definitely not be blank, or Corona Avenue. It should stay yellow.

As far as I'm concerned, the only areas that are truly "bad" would be the orange or red areas. If popular hangout spots in Manhattan or Williamsburg/Greenpoint are yellow, then so should Elmhurst be. A yellow area is still decent.

Also, most of Elmhurst is blank, only the Northern and Northeast portions are yellow, and they should be.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 05-09-2012 at 01:52 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think so (the friend lives in the orange part). It doesn't seem to feel as sketchy as Washington Heights east of Broadway in both of our opinions, which you labeled orange.

He hasn't noticed anything off in his part of Sunset Park late at night (2 AM ish) except a strange woman talking to herself and local smoking pot.

Of course, some locals might disagree and everyone's tolerance is different.
I lived on 56st bet 5 & 6 ave, and to be honest that particular area is not nice. When I first moved there, I thought to myself, "is it coincidence that I see so many guys wearing red, or is it a new trend in fashion I haven't noticed in other NYC neighborhoods?"

I made the mistake of moving to the area during winter, so there wasn't much activity on the streets. But when Spring came around, the hood came back to life. You'd see more people sitting on their beach chairs, having cook-outs on sidewalks. Bachata, Salsa and Rancheras blasting out of apartment windows.
The area is from what I saw is 90% Hispanic from 2 ave to 4 ave. And 70-30, Hispanic/Chinese from 5ave to 6 ave.

I'm Hispanic myself, so I guess I could blend in the crowds, but for wifie who is not, she would stick out like a sore thumb.
Nothing ever happened to us, while living there, but I heard several incidents of shootings, which obviously didn't make us feel any safer.
But like I said on one of my previous posts, there are some blocks in Sunset park that are pretty quiet, but overall is a hit or miss neighborhood.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I lived on 56st bet 5 & 6 ave, and to be honest that particular area is not nice. When I first moved there, I thought to myself, "is it coincidence that I see so many guys wearing red, or is it a new trend in fashion I haven't noticed in other NYC neighborhoods?"

I made the mistake of moving to the area during winter, so there wasn't much activity on the streets. But when Spring came around, the hood came back to life. You'd see more people sitting on their beach chairs, having cook-outs on sidewalks. Bachata, Salsa and Rancheras blasting out of apartment windows.
The area is from what I saw is 90% Hispanic from 2 ave to 4 ave. And 70-30, Hispanic/Chinese from 5ave to 6 ave.

I'm Hispanic myself, so I guess I could blend in the crowds, but for wifie who is not, she would stick out like a sore thumb.
Nothing ever happened to us, while living there, but I heard several incidents of shootings, which obviously didn't make us feel any safer.
But like I said on one of my previous posts, there are some blocks in Sunset park that are pretty quiet, but overall is a hit or miss neighborhood.
This.
I think that before rushing to make changes... There should be a general consensus of an area especially if the changes are coming from someone who is not 100% familiar with the area... This applies for both decisions about changing Sunset park's shadings from orange to yellow as well as completely removing all shadings in Elmhurst...

Unless someone born and raised in the area gives you a detailed description of cross avenues and blocks that are good and bad, or someone who has lived in the area for many years, then others should confirm what some say on here before simply taking someones word for it...

Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post

The person I know lives only a few blocks from where you used to live but by 3rd to 4th ave (maybe almost the same exact street!) He's white and only moved in this February. His (also white) neighbor downstairs has lived there for longer and didn't mention any issues.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:52 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,032 times
I've lived in the neighborhood (Sunset Park) my whole life so I can give a somewhat accurate description of the areas.

For the most part, 8th avenue is fine. The only iffy place is around 39th to 43rd street. Nothing too bad.

7th avenue is fine throughout the whole neighborhood.

6th avenue is kinda iffy from 49th street to 56th street.

5th avenue is a pretty busy street so at night you could run into whatever. The worst part would be 39th to 41st street. (There has been around 5 homicides in this little stretch in the past 5 years) and 49th to 53rd street. That's where you'll run into the most gang members going to Burger King or McDonalds.

4th avenue is interesting. This is where most transplants are moving to. The area from 36th to 47th I'd say is perfectly fine, and it's where you see the most transplants. From 48th to 61st, especially from 54th to 61st, is probably the worst area of the neighborhood. Many apartment buildings, many people outside, etc. I can definitely see someone that isn't used to that environment to feel uncomfortable.

3rd avenue is basically the same as 4th. As in the worst part is from 54th to 61st. Just take a look at 56th and 3rd at night. There's usually always around 5+ people just standing at that corner. I've seen 10+ on more than one occasion, obviously gang members.

So to summarize, the 40s are pretty much fine from 3rd to 8th. The low 50s are a bit worse on 6th and 5th avenue. And the high 50s from 6th to 3rd are IMO the worst part of the neighborhood.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
The above is an almost perfect description of Sunset Park, dead on correct. I just recently left the neighborhood having spent the last 10 years in a work capacity that makes me VERY familiar with the streets, even more so than a resident, and I vouch for most of the above post. I only disagree on the 40's from 3-8. The mid 40's from 4-6 are the pretty sketchy, and the crime stats reflect that. It's the local precinct's busiest sector.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think so (the friend lives in the orange part). It doesn't seem to feel as sketchy as Washington Heights east of Broadway in both of our opinions, which you labeled orange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
So to summarize, the 40s are pretty much fine from 3rd to 8th. The low 50s are a bit worse on 6th and 5th avenue. And the high 50s from 6th to 3rd are IMO the worst part of the neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The above is an almost perfect description of Sunset Park, dead on correct. I just recently left the neighborhood having spent the last 10 years in a work capacity that makes me VERY familiar with the streets, even more so than a resident, and I vouch for most of the above post. I only disagree on the 40's from 3-8. The mid 40's from 4-6 are the pretty sketchy, and the crime stats reflect that. It's the local precinct's busiest sector.
I changed it up. What do you guys think of the new shadings?

The thing that I noticed while in a car going down 4th Avenue is that there's almost a constant stream of people crossing the street (and they're pretty aggressive as far as stepping in there too. Moreso than in other neighborhoods outside of Manhattan). It kind of reminds me of the game F rogger except in reverse (the car as to avoid hitting the pedestrian).

Or maybe it's just the fact that I've been stuck on SI too long and I'm not used to seeing as many pedestrians.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:17 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I lived on 4th and 60th, at the corner above the bodega in 1961-1965. I went to kindergarden in the school across the street but it was the old school where the play yard is, the old school was torn down and the new one was built. Wow, brings back memories.

I remember the apartment building on 4th ave between 59-60, if you look at the top of one of the building's (the second one in closest to 60th) there is one without the cornice near the roofline, and it is bricked...that is because there was a fire in the middle apartment one night and all was burnt, the cornice came off then and was bricked....I remember asking my dad why there were all burt mattresses thrown out all over the sidewalk, an extention cord was under the bed and caught fire.

just a bit of sunset park info.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
I believe Sunset park had little or no Chinese in the 80's. How was that area then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City