Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 AM

316 posts, read 1,012,985 times

Advertisements

So, how do we compare and contrast these places? I was born and raised in Elmhurst, but don't know anything about Sunset Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:47 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,335,984 times
Pretty similar demographically, from what I can tell. Anything specific you're curious about?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,889,171 times
I lived in sunset park for a while and didnt like it.
Its very noisy, dirty and generally not very pleasant.
I did notice, however, that some blocks much better than others.
So i guess i got a bad block, dunno.
As for Corona all i know is that is not very safe. I close friend of mine got robbed at gunpoint over there.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,876,377 times
Both are pretty similar, heavily Hispanic on one side, and heavily Asian on the other. I assume Elmhurst is much safer though.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,033,185 times
One huge difference is that Elmhurst is a major shopping destination with the Queens Center Mall. This mall is one of the most profitable malls per square foot in the U.S.

I suspect (but don't know) that Elmhurst is significantly more diverse in terms of countries of origin and religion than Sunset Park. I know that Elmhurst not only has churches but also Hindu, Jain and Buddhist temples.

There is some talk of reopening a LIRR station in Elmhurst. There used to be one there but it was closed at some point some years ago.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:04 PM

423 posts, read 1,277,107 times
Both are heavily hispanic and asian. The difference between the two groups is Sunset Park has more Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, meanwhile Elmhurst has more Colombians and Ecuadorians. Both have their fair share of Mexicans, although I'm betting Sunset Park has more.

Sunset Park's Asian population is mostly Chinese. I'm assuming Elmhurst is more diverse.

I would also say Sunset Park is dirtier. 8th avenue (Chinatown) is a mess. 5th avenue (mostly hispanics) is also dirty.

likeminas, where did you live in Sunset park? What street?

Oh and another similarity: Both are serviced by the very slow R Train.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:09 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,876,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Both are heavily hispanic and asian. The difference between the two groups is Sunset Park has more Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, meanwhile Elmhurst has more Colombians and Ecuadorians. Both have their fair share of Mexicans, although I'm betting Sunset Park has more.

Sunset Park's Asian population is mostly Chinese. I'm assuming Elmhurst is more diverse.

I would also say Sunset Park is dirtier. 8th avenue (Chinatown) is a mess. 5th avenue (mostly hispanics) is also dirty.

likeminas, where did you live in Sunset park? What street?

Oh and another similarity: Both are serviced by the very slow R Train.
The majority of Asians in Elmhurst are also Chinese, but the Asian population there is pretty diverse.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:16 PM

So, how would you compare Elmhurst Avenue Station to the main station in Sunset Park (isn't is 36th Street)?

-Amount of street hoodlums out at night?
-Friendliness of locals: Chinese and Hispanics (based on your own opinion)
-Amount of transplants/hipsters?
-Proximity (walking distance, and 1-2 subway stops to some other cool areas?
-dating scene?
-cheap eats?

I'm born and raised in Elmhurst, so I am biased, but I'm curious as to what y'all think

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM

423 posts, read 1,277,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
So, how would you compare Elmhurst Avenue Station to the main station in Sunset Park (isn't is 36th Street)?

-Amount of street hoodlums out at night?
-Friendliness of locals: Chinese and Hispanics (based on your own opinion)
-Amount of transplants/hipsters?
-Proximity (walking distance, and 1-2 subway stops to some other cool areas?
-dating scene?
-cheap eats?

I'm born and raised in Elmhurst, so I am biased, but I'm curious as to what y'all think
There's a good amount of street hoodlums out at night. Chillen outside some bodegas, outside their apartment buildings, etc. Nothing that would make you feel extremely unsafe but they're definitely there. Certain blocks are worse than others.

There's more and more transplants/hipsters moving into the neighborhood. It's increasing tremendously. They're spilling over from Park Slope and Greenwood Heights. The area that has seen the most is the area around the 40s and 3-5th avenue.

I'm assuming the friendliness of the locals is different. I'm Mexican and tend to connect with Colombians and Ecuadorians more so I'm going to go out on a limb and say Elmhurst's locals are probably nicer. Sunset has many puerto ricans and a good amount of them have been in the neighborhood for generations and many haven't been able to move up the economic ladder. I've obviously had many good Puerto Rican friends but I've also had bad experiences with them. The majority of "street hoodlums" you might see are definitely Puerto Rican.

Don't really know how to answer the dating scene question. I'm still somewhat young myself and well for us it's just about who you know, which in turn leads to you meeting more girls from the neighborhood.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 AM

It's about to be 6am and here I am thinking, why the hell is this guy/girl using the word "hoodlum", but then I see that is my word choice from last night. That's funny.

Um, thanks for sharing. The thing is, I love Elmhurst, but I know too many people around there, and was looking for somewhat of a change. I live in Jackson Heights now, but wouldn't put off Sunset Park as a reserve hang-out spot. Sometimes I think about it, that I could probabbly lead a double life by hanging out in the deepest depths of Brooklyn (much deeper than Sunset Park), and interacting with people that have no reason to come to Elmhurst/Jackson Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City