Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,851 times

Advertisements

So I went today with a broker to see an apartment and we met the management company's broker who showed it to us. I didn't sign anything at all with anyone but had communicated with this broker regarding where we would meet etc. We saw the apartment she was going to show us then also saw a second apartment in the building. Soon after, I found the management company's website. Am I able to contact the management company directly at this point and circumvent the broker's fee? The two combined want around 17% and it seems ridiculous for a 6 bedroom.

Also, considering I'm the only one that has spoken to them or seen the apartment, can one of my roommates who is not connected contact management directly to rent the apartment? If so, does me being on the lease afterwards matter at all?

If anyone has a link to info on this, the actual legislation that covers this or any idea please let me know.

Thanks,
Newb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Stop trying to rip people off!!

If you want to pay less, negotiate.

If you don't want to pay a fee, the find an apartment on your own.

Cars are expensive too, why don't you steal one....

Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
If the broker is the management company's broker, they will likely refer you to the broker to vet you, even if you contacted the management directly. If there is no on-site rental office, and the only way the properties are marketed is via broker arrangement, then the company likely is not in the business of showing/renting its apartments; rather, the focus in on administering the portfolio under management.

If the listing is stale and they have not shown it regularly, ask the broker to reduce the fee, and/or ask the management company if they will pay the brokerage commission to move you into the apartment. Sometimes a reduction, and or waived fee, can be accomplished if the apartment is not rented in a timely manner.

You refer to a combined fee, but the broker fee has nothing to do with the management company, for credit checks, security deposits, etc. Generally, the fee is negotiable with the broker, and could be as low as one month's rent, or higher, depending upon the apartment, prospects of renting it, age of listing, etc. What is the broker charging? That's the fee that they have the power to negotiate, anything that the management company has added is a fee to be discussed with the company. The two are separate transactions, and would not ordinarily be combined.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 AM

197 posts, read 517,530 times
Lots of people try to pull this "scam", if you weren't ready to pay the broker's fee, then you shouldn't have contacted one to begin with. If a tenant came to me behind the brokers back, I wouldn't rent to him because it shows his character and I wouldn't want to rent to someone like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City