Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Even die-hipsters has jumped all over this story.
I really wonder about the head-cases the run that blog.

There is comedy, and then there is just strange-banged-this-out-while-sitting-in-my-underwear-upset-that-i-lost-my-job-at-the-post-office-and-cant-afford-my-paxil-prescription ranting that is on this blog. Any blog that contains a daily feature where someone describes in loving detail their fantasies about murdering another human being isn't funny.

It's strange. It reminds me of reading sociological studies on serial killers.

Who spends time everyday thinking of new ways to elaborately kill another human being? I understand being annoyed, but good lord that takes it too another level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:56 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I really wonder about the head-cases the run that blog.

There is comedy, and then there is just strange-banged-this-out-while-sitting-in-my-underwear-upset-that-i-lost-my-job-at-the-post-office-and-cant-afford-my-paxil-prescription ranting that is on this blog. Any blog that contains a daily feature where someone describes in loving detail their fantasies about murdering another human being isn't funny.

It's strange. It reminds me of reading sociological studies on serial killers.

Who spends time everyday thinking of new ways to elaborately kill another human being? I understand being annoyed, but good lord that takes it too another level.

What in their synopsis of this article is inaccurate?

Quote:
This Megan – an admitted child of an upper class family who now of course made the voyage to zany and quirky North Brooklyn – applied for food stamps and got rejected. She basically wanted our tax dollars to pay for her Mast Bros chocolate bars, free range Lower Middle West Bushwick saffron infused rabbit meat, $8.00 hand-crafted pickles, cruelty-free water, and freshly Converse-stomped Williamsburg grape juice. Now at the same time, I believe there are thousands of other wastes of life that are unjustly receiving food stamps in this city while never looking for work, abusing drugs, etc. But that’s for another type of blog. I have no doubts that this Megan (who applied for food stamps yet owns an iPhone) can dial up Mummsy and Daddsy for any amount of money she needs but this was her chance to broadcast her urban food stamp application and rejection for a typical hipster LOOOOOOK AT MEEEEE moment. In the comments section of that article, all the comments are about defending her weight and the burden of student loans. I could give two ****s about her weight. What drives me nuts is that UNIQUE short bangs, thick framed glasses, granny dress hipster look and knowing she is nowhere near needing to be on public assistance. Instead of taking any 9-5 job, she insists on slumming it in her hipster playground hoping to be a famous writer. How many ****ing talentless nobody freelancers can this city withstand?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
JayBrown - As usual your posts are well reasoned and I agree with most of your positions. I strongly support a social safety net as a temporary solution for those in need. However, I don't agree that this girl has a poverty problem, she has a budgeting problem.

Maybe I'm an old curmudgeon at the ripe old age of 32 but I think this article reflects a deeper sense of entitlement and "me me me" attitude that's endemic to this generation of early 20 year olds. It's that they don't understand that generations before them have went through similar struggles in their 20's and persevered. She has a good base to build on, she has an education, which is more than can be said for most lifelong sucklers of the social teet. BUT that education does not entitle one to never struggle and she is making poor decisions all the way along.

An iPhone is not a responsible decision, nor is Ezekiel bread, expensive cheese, and whatever else was in her refrigerator. Those are luxuries you get to enjoy when you come out on the other end of your youthful financial woes, hopefully with a new found respect for earning what you've worked for. Take a look at her blog, it's all about clothes, and accounts of going out for wine, and trying this cool new restaurant. When you're young and a victim of financial circumstances you grit your teeth, eat lots of rice and beans, live with 4 roommates in a less desirable neighborhood, and get a basic cell phone plan.

I found this article appalling, not only because of the author but because of what she represents: a generation of entitled brats who feel they are owed a life free of hardship.
I agree with your 100%. When I read the article and saw the pictures of her cabinets and fridge, the first thing that popped into my head was "Hm, she buys the expensive stuff".

I think being dirt-poor right out of college is an excellent character builder. College is harder than high school, but it still coddles you and wants you to succeed. College is designed so that if you put in the minimum effort, you will succeed, or at least get a degree.

I think having to move into a tiny apartment with 3 roommates and subsist off crock pot meals for weeks at a time is a life affirming situation. Even now, when I think back to times I was starving, both as a child and a young adult (and I do mean starving) I think of it both as a hardship, but an excellent learning opportunity. To this day I cherish everything I have because I remember all the times when I had nothing.

I think this girl does have a lot to learn about life, and how much you can accomplish when you put your mind to it.

I still think the system is completely backwards though, because if Megan was starving, she still woudln't qualify for government help solely based on the fact that she WENT TO SCHOOL, and we don't reward that type of behavior here in America. Better for her to have gotten pregnant at prom and have a crippling cocaine habit.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
What in their synopsis of this article is inaccurate?
I didn't comment on their synopsis, I commented on their whole site, which includes article after article of lying in hiding, waiting till you see another human being, and then brutally killing them in the most inhumane and painful ways they can think of.

I know that is right up your alley, but I think it's strange.

As far as the article, and what was inaccurate?

Well, where to begin...

How do they know what she eats? I don't recall hearing about saffron infused rabbit in her story? How does the author know she can call up her parents? Maybe they are dead. How does he know she is in North Brooklyn? How does he know ANY of the assumptions he is making?

Thats what I found "inaccurate" in the article. What I found disturbing was the blog in it's entirety.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I didn't comment on their synopsis, I commented on their whole site, which includes article after article of lying in hiding, waiting till you see another human being, and then brutally killing them in the most inhumane and painful ways they can think of.

I know that is right up your alley, but I think it's strange.

It's just people venting. It's tongue-in-cheek. Nobody really wants anyone dead.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
It's just people venting. It's tongue-in-cheek. Nobody really wants anyone dead.
I never said they did. I said it was strange to take time out of your day to elaborately think of a way to kill someone. If you just got cut off in traffic and you are like "I could kill that guy." that's human nature and I understand.

When you go beyond that and actually plan the gory details of how you will kill this guy, and you revel in it, and you actually seem to be sexually turned on by it....and then you do it 48 times in a row, each time with a different scenario but the same loving attention to detail.....

Well, I find that strange.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,555 times
The comments are getting good over there. My favorite so far " I have eggsalad and baking soda in my fridge. GO HOME!".

I would need to know how much she paid for her (seemingly) useless degree before I shed any tears over our country not valuing education. Your expected salary after graduation should be considered when figuring out how much tuition you can actually afford.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I never said they did. I said it was strange to take time out of your day to elaborately think of a way to kill someone. If you just got cut off in traffic and you are like "I could kill that guy." that's human nature and I understand.

When you go beyond that and actually plan the gory details of how you will kill this guy, and you revel in it, and you actually seem to be sexually turned on by it....and then you do it 48 times in a row, each time with a different scenario but the same loving attention to detail.....

Well, I find that strange.

Well yeah, I guess you're not into certain genres of comedy. You probably don't enjoy horror movies or slapstick horror movies like Evil Dead either right?

And I dunno where you ever got anybody being sexually turned on by anything from that site...

Old 04-13-2012, 01:21 PM

510 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
I think being dirt-poor right out of college is an excellent character builder. College is harder than high school, but it still coddles you and wants you to succeed. College is designed so that if you put in the minimum effort, you will succeed, or at least get a degree.

I think having to move into a tiny apartment with 3 roommates and subsist off crock pot meals for weeks at a time is a life affirming situation. Even now, when I think back to times I was starving, both as a child and a young adult (and I do mean starving) I think of it both as a hardship, but an excellent learning opportunity. To this day I cherish everything I have because I remember all the times when I had nothing.
Absolutely could not agree with this more. Struggling in your post college youth and learning to survive and thrive in the real world is one of the most valuable life lessons one can ever learn. At the time it's no fun but with a few years of perspective you realize how much that sort of character building can shape your adult success.

I feel like the young and pissed off generation don't have their priorities in order. They believe the path is "graduate college --> get job in your chosen field --> success!" with no hardships in between. And at 22 with a freshly printed BA degree they see this all fall apart and blame it not on their choices but on the system failing them.

The system is DEEPLY flawed but for once I feel like the system actually worked in denying this girl food stamps.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
The comments are getting good over there. My favorite so far " I have eggsalad and baking soda in my fridge. GO HOME!".

I would need to know how much she paid for her (seemingly) useless degree before I shed any tears over our country not valuing education. Your expected salary after graduation should be considered when figuring out how much tuition you can actually afford.
I actually was having a whole conversation about this over in the finance forum about how people are sort of lied to and told that they will never amount to anything without a college degree, which I think is crazy.

2 years of air conditioning repair school is a hell of a lot better than a 4 year liberal arts degree. I am a big supporter of trade schools.

Of course, there I was called a conservative republican nazi. Shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City