Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 13,628 times

Advertisements

So I want to get my MBA in Manhattan.
I want to work in the wonderful field of fashion!
I want to work in fashion PR, Styling/Management.

Questions:
How hard is it to break into the fashion industry?
How long does it take to get a job in NY on average?
How about just a part time job?

What are some great places for cheap food?
Cheap places for rent, okay well as cheap as Manhattan gets? Most likely I'll be located inside of the school dorm but I thought I should at least consider other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM

510 posts, read 2,246,524 times
As someone with a fiancee who works at a "high fashion" company you have definitely heard of I just want to point out that the fashion industry as it's imagined does not match the reality of the fashion industry as it actually exists. It's not glamorous, it's a disorganized rat race nightmare where you have to pay your dues with laughably low wages and eventually work up to semi-respectable levels. I know because I hear weekly about starry-eyed young grads flaming out when they realize that the field is not at all what they expected.

With that said, if you're prepared to make 25-35k as an assistant for a number of years and work 60 hour weeks, and not live a NYC fantasy world existence then you CAN make it. Be aware that MBAs hold little to no value in the fashion world and the only way to break into it, as with most creative fields, is to start at the very bottom rung and outwork and outlast everyone else. As for how hard it is to get a job: competition for entry level jobs in creative fields is insanely fierce and typically goes to those with previous internships in the industry, or better yet, the company.

I don't mean to be a pessimist but I am intimately familiar with the industry and I sort of groan when I hear flowery adjectives attached to it.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,436,295 times
good luck with that, miss.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,920,637 times
I agree with Jeff.
You don't really need an MBA for a 'creative' field. Most of the time, well-paying positions in anything creative has a lot to do with who you know.

Also most MBA students are working professionals. So, I'm not so sure MBA students get to live in dorms. I know undergrad students do, but you better check with your prospective university.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,833,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
As someone with a fiancee who works at a "high fashion" company you have definitely heard of I just want to point out that the fashion industry as it's imagined does not match the reality of the fashion industry as it actually exists. It's not glamorous, it's a disorganized rat race nightmare where you have to pay your dues with laughably low wages and eventually work up to semi-respectable levels. I know because I hear weekly about starry-eyed young grads flaming out when they realize that the field is not at all what they expected.

With that said, if you're prepared to make 25-35k as an assistant for a number of years and work 60 hour weeks, and not live a NYC fantasy world existence then you CAN make it. Be aware that MBAs hold little to no value in the fashion world and the only way to break into it, as with most creative fields, is to start at the very bottom rung and outwork and outlast everyone else. As for how hard it is to get a job: competition for entry level jobs in creative fields is insanely fierce and typically goes to those with previous internships in the industry, or better yet, the company.

I don't mean to be a pessimist but I am intimately familiar with the industry and I sort of groan when I hear flowery adjectives attached to it.
I concur with everything said.

OP, my first reaction upon reading your post, was to say you DO NOT need an MBA!!!

What you DO need is an Internship!

You already have a Bachelor's. Now you need experience and access.

Lastly, you appear a bit unfocused. You want to be in PR, then do that. You want to be a Stylist, fine. Management? Agency or Manufacturer?

Want to make it? Get your head out of the clouds, put your nose to the grindstone, find yourself a 'right' position, and "I'll work for FREE" s/b your mantra!

Lastly, sorry to say this, but if you are entering Grad school, and don't know this by now, you are already behind!

This is NYC, there are people here working at the industry since HIGH SCHOOL!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM

106 posts, read 353,541 times
It is hard. My ex went to FIT and she got lucky to come out working at an assistant at Ralph Lauren, god knows what position she's in...but likely moving up the ranks if she's lucky. Most other people I know who graduated from Fashion are struggling, it's pretty much a hit or miss field. The ones who are struggling and trying to stay on track of their dreams attempt to have shows at venue/gallery spaces...but I would say it's as hard as being a fine artist/model here.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,854,768 times
If you feel you need to do school again, then do an AAS in Fashion Marketing. That way you can go to school and intern. They want parson's students as interns.

That being say, its not all cocktail parties and photoshoots. I did 2 PR internships and my whole day was getting coffee and packing sample bags. For free.

I ended up in merchandising making $16,000 more a year than my friends. I don't even make $50,000. Also, let it be known a lot of people who have the "it" jobs are independently wealthy and work for a hobby.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 13,628 times
Thanks for all your wonderful replies. I am really soaking it all in! I'm very grateful for every reply <3.

I know the fashion world is pay your dues, work horrible hours, and basically be someone's lap dog at the beginning. (Devil wears Prada anyone?) I know I'm at the bottom of the food chain and I don't hold any false sense of entitlement. The only way to make any hedge way is work my ass off, if I have time to complain then I have time to work. I'm not looking for cocktail parties and amazing free clothes. The college I am looking at offers internship assistance, and has a 13 week internship. But I know that's not enough, and that I'm going to have to put it years of free work possibly. I will work for free is going to be my reality while I'm in school.

I'm ready for that! I'm not in this solely for the money, I'm one of those women who swoon's over the clothing. Live and breathe fashion, and dream of being anywhere in the fashion world almost every night.

The reasoning for the MBA. Is that if I don't make it (being a realist here), and it's not what I want or expect, it opens another venue in teaching fashion business. (I'm a grad from an art school that tries to hire their graduated students with an MFA/MBA) I'm trying to have as many job possibilities as possible in this horrible economic state.

As for dorm living. I cleared it with the school some of their MBA students choose dorm living. And I'm young enough to where it would not be awkward. (I'm 22, Got my BFA at 20). (LIM college)

Getting an AA instead at FIT or Parsons is an option that I am considering.

I agree I need to be more focused on exactly what I am aiming for, I have until March to move so I'll be working on getting that down to what I want!

I know I'm behind, really behind. But I can't focus on that, or I'll never move and do what I want to do with my life. I let my dad decide what I should do, and just went along with it. However I've decided to chase my dreams while I'm still young.

As for going back to school. I have only have one connection in NYC It does happen to help that the person is in a high position in the fashion industry and I'll be talking to them soon. (Com-firmed call next week!)

However with my lack of connections it seems the best choice is school. I know to get any internships, or anywhere. You have to know someone.

Looking forward to hearing more information, I promise to soak it all up like a sponge!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM

510 posts, read 2,246,524 times
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and have set your expectations properly. Getting an MBA will definitely give you other options should fashion not work out so that's probably a wise hedge. Focus on getting that internship and working for free to get your foot in the door. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City