Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 PM

15 posts, read 70,503 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of buying some furniture for an apartment (we've been staying in a furnished place for short-term) and I'm confused about delivery options. A lot of places don't make mention of whether or not they will deliver to an actual apartment, and when they do mention it, it states that they won't go up more than two flights of stairs. I don't know if it makes a difference if there is an elevator or not (assuming stuff is flat packed or could fit in the elevator).

What's the usual process of getting large items delivered, for what it's worth I'm on the 6th floor (which is the top one). I've searched a few threads on here but there doesn't seem to be much consensus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,333 times
I think it depends on where you order from. When I ordered a mattress and heavy metal bed frame from Ikea the delivery guys carried it up to my 4th floor walkup with no complaints.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM

87 posts, read 236,147 times
they will usually go to where you need it. if not just post an ad or find someone on craigslist and pay 40 bucks or so.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Why not simply ask the store when shopping?

In any event, in an elevator building here usually isn't an issue as to the floor of delivery; but, dpending upon the building, you may or may not need to make specific arrangements.

Some buildings only allow move-in/deliveries on certain days, and/or only certain elevators can be used. Some require a fee to be deposited against potential damage to the building that may occur during move-in/delivery.

Usually, the more luxurious and well managed the building, the more strick the requirements. The majority of coop/condo buildings are quite strict.

In addition, there is normally a delivery fee charged either by the store and/or the delivery contractor engaged by the store. It is also customary to tip the delivery men, in addition to the fee paid.

Different stores and delivery contractors have different policies, so checking with them is necessary.

Of course, the cost and amount of tip varies according to the work involved, namely a second story walk up delivery will likely be somewhat cheaper than a delivery to the 4thwork floor of a walk up!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
If it fits in the elevator it won't be a problem. If it doesn't fit, they will act like they can't go up more than 2 flights. You will take out cash. They will run it up the stairs in 8 seconds. Just make sure the furniture will fit either in the stairwell or elevator.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I ordered a carpet at Home Depot and the next morning "ding-dong" at my front door and I'm more than a dozen floors up (elevator of course.)

Most will deliver, some for a hefty charge, especially for something like a fridge or a stove.

A funny thing though from one commercial place (nane escapes me)...they said they would deliver a loveseat no problem but I'd have to have "my men" unload it from the truck? Weird. I skipped it.

So make sure you get ALL the details of the delivery ironed out beforehand. Shop around too because there is a HUGE variation in delivery charges from vendors.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I got a couch from Crate and Barrel and paid a $80 delivery fee, which would have covered all other furniture I purchased the same day -- except I didn't purchase anything else. The two guys delivered to my apartment (5th floor, elevator building), put the couch where I requested they put it, and also took my old one down to the basement. I gave them a tip, maybe $10 or $20 each (can't remember). I think C&B's delivery charge has gone up since I purchased the couch.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
We shopped Newmark and Lewis for a sofa and I was told that the delivery charge was $75 per order...but if over $300 the charge would be $50.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:44 PM

15 posts, read 70,503 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. According to amazon they will deliver large items up to an apartment, I just had the following chart with a representative:

Shailender:You don't need to worry.for heavy items we have different carriers and they make sure to deliver the item at home to the customer.

Me: ok, when I click on purchase the only delivery options it gives me is free super saver shipping or standard shipping, which is the best one?

Shailender:In Free shipping you will get the order within 5-8 business days and in Standard you will get the order within 3-5 business days , So you can select the shipping speed as per your convenience.

Me: what happens if the delivery people turn up and refuse to deliver the item up to the apartment (I know you said not to worry, but I'm trying to cover all scenarios)?

Shailender:It will not happen,The carrier will ship it to the place you want the item.

Me: sounds good! Thank you for your help

Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 AM

7 posts, read 32,333 times
Being an inexperience buyer of furniture I had a major experience. I was supposed to have a couch and love seat delivered from havertys furniture at 8am. the min they got here they said it won't fit in the Elevator and they can't bring it up the stairs. I complained to the delivery manager who was not willing to do anything. He said the drivers are the best around and took their word. I then went to the store manager and said what would make me happy is if you or a supervisor come to my apartment and evaluate the situation. At first he agreed until he spoke with the showroom manager. The showroom manger calls me up and said he spoke the with the store supervisor and will have to agree with the supervisor that the delivery guys are the best in the industry and will have to take their word. He then offered options of getting something else, getting a refund, or I can get my own movers. I said I'll take the refund. His response was that was the last thing we wanted to do. I said oh well do you job. After that I called the CEO and got his secretary I was told someone will get back to me at the end of the day. an hour later I got a call from the delivery manger who I canceled the order with and refused to enforce the drivers to deliver my couch. he said in a very positive voice your couch will be redelivered in an hour. I got a call from the driver and he said 3 hours because of prior deliveries I said cool. They get here and he said it won't fit in the elevator I said then bring it up the stairs I'm only on the 3rd floor. and in between floors on the stair care there are mini resting platforms. he was very cooperative. He said we are not supposed to bring up the stairs but for you we will. I said in NYC they have 6 flight walk ups. He said Florida law says they are not allowed to bring it up more than 1 flight it's some insurance law. I asked about NYC he said the people there pay per floor directly to the delivery person. Anyway They did have a major problem bringing up the couch but we got it done. The door way from the platform on the 3rd floor through the door to the hallway on the 3rd floor the hallway was not wide enough but they managed after an hour of angling it. then from the hallway to my door. I gave both of them $100.00 each they were here for 2.5 hours at night. My point if you are not going to even try then we have a problem and I'll have your job. but if you work hard and it's extra hard I'll take care of you. I research this " Florida Law" about not being allowed to go up the stairs and know the BS for next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City